PDA

View Full Version : Try enjoying the game!

Medieval Assassin
11-06-2004, 16:45
People spent lots of time on the game, stop complaining and enjoy it!
How do you think Jerome and the other Devs feel when they come here to answer questions
and get a load of flak...?

Silver Rusher
11-06-2004, 16:46
I agree. Complaining is good, but not flamy complaining.

Akka
11-06-2004, 16:59
I enjoy AND I politely complain.

Both aren't exclusive :)

Sin Qua Non
11-06-2004, 18:11
Even the truly inflammatory are enjoying the game to some point. You probably don't hear from those who really hate the game. Those who are seriously complain about the game just like to complain. The game has little to do with it. They'll complain about subtle changes in temperature.

Red Harvest
11-06-2004, 19:01
Can't speak for others, but I've been trying to understand the game enough to figure out how to fix it. Most of the complaint threads are really discussions about how to "fix" what seems to be wrong in the poster's opinion. If I wasn't trying to understand the problems better, I would have shelved the game already. It is getting close to that at the moment.

Orda Khan
11-06-2004, 22:28
Buy a Ferrari with a VW Beetle engine
Don't whine about it......Just enjoy the ride????????

.....Orda

barocca
11-06-2004, 22:38

.....Orda
Yes!
saves on gas ($$$'s), helps the environment too...

Vikings
11-07-2004, 00:38
Heh i agreed, there alot of loose cannons out there. I couldnt play in two days after i got it. Wasnt mad or upset just wondering what i did wrong... paying for something that didnt work or it just me cant figured it out!

Well i never gave up, keep trying and if you have trouble with it try make multi-saving games and avoid bug issues (if you know any).

~Veni, vidi, vici

Happy huntings!

Servius
11-07-2004, 02:22
you know, there are broken things, there are working things we don't understand how to use properly yet, and there are thing working properly that we don't like and want fixed. I look all over trying to find posts from CA that would help me differentiate the problems I see between those three things, but I don't find any feedback.

The broken things (pathfinding, AI strategic and battle tactics, etc.) I can only hope and assume they are working on fixing right now.

The things that are working but are not intuitive (causes and solutions to Squallor, how to grow a good family tree, how to get/train good governors, etc.) would not be a problem if the game mechanics were explained, but so much of what's under the hood in this game is left out of the manual. I get aweful tired and frustrated coming to fan sites and trolling through the threads trying to find the answers to simple gameplay questions that should be explained in the manual.

The things that are working as intended but still piss me off (movement rates, kill rates, friendly fire, etc.) weren't such a problem in MTW because the game was very easily moddible, at least for those kinds of issues, but RTW seems to have made that so much more difficult and complex. Perhaps in a year or more, when CA or we can explain everything, that complexity will be good because it means we can mod more parts of the game, but for now (and quite possibly later too) it's very frustrating.

The most frustrating part, to me at least, is the lack of feedback from CA. I have been unable to find a post that says "CA is aware of this feature, agrees that it should be changed, and is working on a fix."

I AM trying to enjoy the game. I REALLY am. Every time some screw up or unexplainable fiasco ruins the fun I quit playing, but then I try to figure out some way around it, and if I can come up with one, I start again and see if it works. In part this problem-solving is what I love about games and what keeps me dedicated to them. The problem is that I'm not being beaten by a tough opponent. I'm being beaten by a clumbsy user interface, outrageously inept unit behaviors, and unintuitive and unexplained game mechanics. I LOVE being beaten and finding solutions to battlefield genious or economic jugernauts. I HATE having the fun of something sucked out by poor design or execution.

I really am trying to enjoy the game. I come here several times a day trying to find solutions to the issues I have with the game. It's hard to have fun when I'm trying to do CA's job (understand and fix this game) and when I don't know whether CA is doing anything to help.

Colovion
11-07-2004, 02:43

.....Orda

I think you mean it the other way around. Great engine, breaks when you look at it closely.

I tried enjoying the game for 3 and a half campaigns.

Now I"m waiting for the new patch, I can't play it anymore, it isn't fun enough for me.

bmolsson
11-07-2004, 06:41
Well, I am not complaining since I have not had any problems yet. If I had problems I would post them though.... Flaming ? I don't think anyone really been flaming here or have I missed something ??

Attalus
11-07-2004, 07:00
Love the game. Awesome.

Still, some things don't really work the way they were supposed to.

Can't really think why...but I'd be keen to see them fixed.

Am I complaining? I didn't think so.

Critisising it? Yes, there are flaws.
Could I have done this game better? No way.

Anyways...how would CA know what we liked and didn't like if we didn't voice up? Just smart business practice.

So I'll kep playing...and wait for the patch.
I would love to see this game be every inch the work of genius it appears to be.

AND I can't wait to see what gets served up next!!

Rome:Total War Barbarian Invasion!! BLOOD AND DEATH GAAAHHH!!!!

-Attalus-
Fool me once...shame on you.
Fool me twice...prepare to die.

solypsist
11-07-2004, 08:58
there are enough Review threads going on.

next person who starts one will probably regret it.