PDA

View Full Version : dacians in a competiton

Rikdemedici
11-06-2004, 18:05
I'm amn in a competiton at school as the DAcians. HOwever, I don't have Rome, only Medieval. I am facing the Seleucids, and i believe they might be using a lot of elephants. I was wondering if anyone could come up with a good 10,000 point army list for this.
Also, in medieval, who are good Factions to practice with ?

thanks in advance, Rik
:help:

ah_dut
11-06-2004, 18:12
Do you mean on Denarii? if so, 10,000 is not so much of a problem. Elephants are really overpowered but can be defeated by things such as dogs and pigs, don't ask why... The problem is that the selucids have a bit of everything, so preparing against thme is very tough unlike a Parthian or Roman army, just me 2 pence

Mr Frost
11-07-2004, 05:55
Do you mean on Denarii? if so, 10,000 is not so much of a problem. Elephants are really overpowered but can be defeated by things such as dogs and pigs, don't ask why... The problem is that the selucids have a bit of everything, so preparing against thme is very tough unlike a Parthian or Roman army, just me 2 pence
He means points , he is talking table top minatures wargaming .

Rikdemedici , firstly it would help if you mentioned the rules you're playing under . That way someone could give you specific and exacting advice .
I don't have any of the rule books , so I can't give you much myself except to say : in DBA , DBM , WAB etc , skirmishers/light infantry actually are good anti-elephant units {not quite the same in RTW :p} but keep your Knights {Sarmatian Allies are probably a good idea , and I'm pretty sure they have Kn} well away from those Elephants .
Also remember , WB {I'm sure all systems give Dacia warband , of course , I could be wrong} can be a good anti-pike unit {if memory serves} . Be sneaky , Pikes and Cataphracts are unweildly units , and if you can trick your opponent into deploying in the wrong place/direction , you can get a good advantage over him with your more mobile Dacian/Sarmatian units .

Try googling for some recomended Dacian army lists .
Good luck . Hope you find what you're looking for .

One day I'll actually get all the rules and build a few armies :book: minature wargames have held some fasination for me for some time , but I never really got around to really getting deeply into it .

Indylavi
11-07-2004, 06:33
Yeah the Elephants are a bit overpowered. I remember watching something on TV about ancient war tactics. Can’t remember who it was but they found that by hitting the Elephant in the trunk it would bring down the beast. It was quite effective from what the people were talking about.

As for the game rules, I think we need to know what it’s based on. Is your class using Total War as it’s base for the rules or some table top game as mentioned above

Rikdemedici
11-07-2004, 19:08
no i mean in the compiter game, ah_dut's right, it probably is denarii

RZST
11-07-2004, 21:29
erm, your playing against a RTW player but you are using MTW??? seems a bit weird.

but if the enemy is "most likely" going to use mass elephants, counter with the flaming pigs of doom.

Krusader
11-07-2004, 21:47
Javelin troops should be good too...and phalanx units against normal Elephants!!

But pigs are best!!

Rikdemedici
11-09-2004, 20:58
what r flaming pigs?? and can the DAcians get them?

Quillan
11-09-2004, 21:33
No, I think Rome and Greece are the only two that can get flaming pigs.