PDA

View Full Version : A question about games and races

Komutan
11-07-2004, 14:29
What are the exact effects of holding games and races?I know that they increase the happiness of the city population.But I believe they have other effects, because there is no difference in cost and happiness between having just games, just races, or both games and races.

Also, you get messages saying that games are being held in some city.I can assume, that they effect the city only during the turn this message apears.But that can't be the case, because in the city screen, games permanently increase the happiness of the population.The frequency of this messages are rare too.In some of my cities, I have daily or monthly games and races.But I don't get "Games held..." message every turn.

A.Saturnus
11-07-2004, 17:51
The "yearly games" setting is a baseline. You don´t get any bonus above the building bonus (for arena, not hippodrome), that´s why "yearly games and races" isn´t different from the others. When you set one on monthly, you get a public order bonus. I think it´s 20% or something like that. In the first season of monthly games you get the "games held" message. After that, you don´t get it, but the public order bonus remains the same. When you have "monthly games and races" the boni are added. On daily, the the bonus is even higher.
One thing to note is that increasing the tax rate costs you less many than monthly games and brings more bonus on public order, so better do this first (unless you want to prevent population growth). When the tax rate is already low and you still need more public order, set games OR races on monthly. If you still need more, set them both on monthly, then one on daily, then both on daily and if that doesn´t help, prepare for uprising.

therother
11-07-2004, 20:10
Throwing games affects the chance of a family member picking up the Editor retinue character (+2 to influence), but only if he has the Games Fan Vice. It's a 20% chance, assuming he hasn't moved at all that turn.

lysarin
11-07-2004, 22:55
I think the gladiators can start a revolt if you have games to often. I haven't experienced this myself but I saw a gladiator revolt in a Brutii province (unfortunately I hadn't any agents nearby so I couldn't investigate this further, but I assume they must have revolted for a good reason)...

Shaitan
11-08-2004, 13:32
If you still need more, set them both on monthly, then one on daily, then both on daily and if that doesn´t help, prepare for uprising.

How can you set both? I only have the button for games or races.

Shaitan

edwardusbenedictus
11-08-2004, 20:24
No if you have both hippodrom and arena you get the choice of having both, just keep clicking the tabs, it'll appear....... cheers have fun.......