PDA

View Full Version : Bug??? when defending Against sieges??

samwise
11-10-2004, 14:44
I might of missed something here, but i noticed the other day, when i've been besieged by the enemy, the siege equipment that they built is not in the battle??? Weird and annoying!. I'm using RTR 3.2 BTW. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the vanilla RTW too???. Pls help.....i'm going to try the this situation out in the vanilla game tonight to see whats going on, but if anyone has come across this or knows anything, then by all means pls reply.

GREAT GAME, HOPE IT's GOING TO BETTER WHEN CA RELEASE A PROPER PATCH TO FIX THE AI!

Siris
11-10-2004, 14:51
I have not experienced this. On my seige assault defending battles, the AI always has at least one batterig ram, mabye a seige towe or two, and some ladders. Occassionally on whats supposed to be my Epic-Stone-Walls, they use like six sappers and take down my walls rather quickly.

Have yet to have any assault on any of my cities from the AI without seige weapons.

R'as al Ghul
11-10-2004, 14:55
I might of missed something here, but i noticed the other day, when i've been besieged by the enemy, the siege equipment that they built is not in the battle???

How do you know they built it, when it's not there? ~;)
It's always like that when you sally from your city and attack the besiegers. In this case you won't see any equipment because they are defending and it wouldn't do them any good. If they had attacked and you would have defended, you would have seen the siege equipment. Simple as that.
~:cheers:
R'as

samwise
11-10-2004, 15:58
Thanks for comments, however in reply to R'as al Ghul, I know if they have siege equipment or not either by sending a spy to the enemy, or when before i accept battle i check to what equipment they might have.... I tested this out a few times now, and i get the same result... Gauls besieging me with 3 ladders and two towers... but when the battle starts, the equipment is not there.... I WANT them to have the epuipment..... ~:confused:

R'as al Ghul
11-10-2004, 16:08
Thanks for comments, however in reply to R'as al Ghul, I know if they have siege equipment or not either by sending a spy to the enemy, or when before i accept battle i check to what equipment they might have.... I wasn't serious about my question. Nevermind. ~;)

I tested this out a few times now, and i get the same result... Gauls besieging me with 3 ladders and two towers... but when the battle starts, the equipment is not there.... I WANT them to have the epuipment..... ~:confused:
I might have misunderstood you here. You are defending a city. You don't attack the besieging enemy but wait for him to attack. When he attacks, he doesn't bring his already built equipment. If this is correct I've no idea what's causing it. Might be mod related.
This is what I understood. You're defending a city. You sally forth against the besiegers and don't wait for them to attack. In this case, like said above, you won't see any equipment.
~:cheers:
R'as

Didz
11-11-2004, 01:51
I must admit I've not noticed this happening to the AI but then i haven't been monitoring it closely.

However, it does sometimes happen to me. I have had several instances when the seige equipment I've built has not been available once I start the seige. Its almost always seige towers and ladders that go missing, so far I have never lost a Sap and I never bother building battering rams.

I can't say I've checked this thoroughly but I think this happens if you build seige equipment which none of your troops are able to use. I think I'm right in saying that only certain classes of heavy infantry can man ladders and seige towers at the start of a seige and if you don't have any or you don't have enough then the game lets you build the equipment but doesn't place it on the battlefield.

I have no idea which Gallic units are able to use ladders and towers but I've had it happen with Roman armies that do not contain enough legionnary units so its probably more likely with Gauls where the mix of troops types is more diverse.

Zharakov
11-11-2004, 01:56
I have been hit with AI with no siege weapons. ALl they did was stand there for the duration of the fight.

Quillan
11-11-2004, 02:58
Didz, I think it's probably due to one of two things. First, ladders don't work on stone walls of large or epic size, but for some reason you are still allowed to build them. If you build them, they won't show up, and I've learned to check for this. However, the second possibility is purely bad timing. While the game doesn't seem to let you build anything new during a siege, it does seem to let the city finish something that already started construction. I think it's happened to me once (because I have learned to check the wall size before building ladders), where when I started building equipment it was a "stone wall" but the next turn when I assaulted it was a "large stone wall". So it appears that the AI finished constructing the wall while I was busy building the siege gear, and that might be why it didn't show. I can't confirm that, because I wasn't paying strict attention at the time, and I could easily be wrong about it. I just usually check before building to make sure I'm not wasting time on gear that won't show up.

Oaty
11-12-2004, 02:42
To answer the topic question. The A.I. does'nt have siege equipment when you sally. My guess for the reason to this is 1 the A.I. is probably not good at deciding when to drop there equipment wich makes them vulnerable to an attack. And the second reason the human could probably too easily lure the A.I. from there siege equipment and then destroy it. Since you destroyed there siege equipment they'd have to spend another turn rebuilding it. Now it's historically accurate for sallies to destroy siege equipment it would probably be way too easy for thehuman to do it to them every single turn.

QUILLAN was it Rome where this happened, because Rome's walls seem to be a little different and the siege towers seem to be a bit different to accomadate this. As once you have a town under siege all construction and recruitment stops.

Red Harvest
11-12-2004, 03:31
It has to be a bug. I've seen it as well. I've sallied out and found the AI's gear was nowhere to be seen. Of course, when the AI sallies, you are on the map manning your gear.

Quillan
11-12-2004, 05:31
No, Oaty, it was against Pontus. I had besieged the city of Sinope. As I said, I can't be 100% positive, because I wasn't paying that close attention to it at the time, but I usually check to see what the walls are when I start building siege gear, and here it was time to assault and I'm facing large stone walls with only 2 siege towers, and missing the 5 ladders I had built.