PDA

View Full Version : Athens - Why isn't it part of the Greek Cities?

Turbo
11-22-2004, 21:51
Anyone know why Athens isn't part of the Greek cities and is instead rebel?

Spino
11-22-2004, 23:39
Anyone know why Athens isn't part of the Greek cities and is instead rebel?

Athens wasn't part of the either the Achaean or Aetolian Leagues in the time period depicted in RTW, both of which constituted the bulk of mainland Greece's political power at that time. Then again neither was Sparta but fat chance releasing a strategy game in this time period that doesn't let you play the Greeks and build Spartan Hoplites. The average strategy gamer would be up in arms over that one.

Furthermore if its ports are sufficiently developed Athens can make a fortune in trade income. With well developed ports the GCS is wealthy enough as it is.

Realistically all the cities that comprise the Greek City States in RTW should be independent factions.

Leodegar
11-22-2004, 23:52
Athens was occupied by a Macedon garrison. But gained it independance in 262BC. Although it still is the intellectuel center in Greece, political it has not much weight anymore. And Athens doesn't take part in the later war (220-217) between Aetolia (Thermon) and Sparta and help from the Romans on one side, against Achaea (Corinth) and Macedonia on the other side.

Turbo
11-23-2004, 21:14
Thanks for the feedback!

Basileus
11-23-2004, 23:13
Ok evrything seems answered but i would like to add that in the game athens is the city that has the greatest income especialy when sea trade is maxed :D

Oaty
11-24-2004, 00:45
Ok evrything seems answered but i would like to add that in the game athens is the city that has the greatest income especialy when sea trade is maxed :D

You sure on that? Sinope is a power house in the black sea. Of course you have to be buddy buddy with evryone there. I get about 3.5k in trade income there 2500 in taxes and then some greedy corrupt bastard takes away 2k of that.

Basileus
11-24-2004, 02:35
You sure on that? Sinope is a power house in the black sea. Of course you have to be buddy buddy with evryone there. I get about 3.5k in trade income there 2500 in taxes and then some greedy corrupt bastard takes away 2k of that.

ive played with evry faction and athens is unbeatable when it comes to generating cash, you can get from 7k up to 8k+ per turn from athens and thats with low tax and pop of 32k+ you can propably get more with a good govenor

Shadow
11-24-2004, 04:26
WOW ! thats a lot of money ! I must take it from those Brutill before they grow fat with cash ~D

Watchman
11-24-2004, 10:34
I'd suggest taking the rest of the peninsula while you're at it. I played the long campaign as the Brutii, and can attest to them rolling in dough once they've the trade income of the Greek cities in their coffers.

Alphidius
11-24-2004, 10:58
Brutii rolling in dough? Woah... now that's scary....hmmm and I thought them conquering the Greek City States was beneficial to me... ~;p

Watchman
11-24-2004, 13:34
...on what exact grounds is it a good thing for any of the Roman factions get stronger, assuming of course it's not one you are playing ? Especially if you're playing the long campaign...

R3dD0g
11-24-2004, 18:08
I'd suggest taking the rest of the peninsula while you're at it. I played the long campaign as the Brutii, and can attest to them rolling in dough once they've the trade income of the Greek cities in their coffers.
I'm playing long Brutii campaign now, and I've got all the GCS and so much Dinari I don't know what to do with it. I bribe everyone outside range of an army stack. I buy everything in the build queue. I've got fleets I don't even know about anymore. And still the money piles up.

Those GCS and Sinope are money makers.

Watchman
11-24-2004, 21:43
Odds are you'll start accumulating the assorted corruption-related flaws pretty soon, but then again with that kind of income at least the financial penalties are irrelevant. When the Civil War started (and caught me a little pants down) I had over 100,000 denarii in the bank, and after twenty years of two-front war with Egypt and all the other Romans at once I still had about 20,000 left when I captured the last of the fifty provinces.

If you're not the Brutii and they own Greece, it's well worth trying to kick them out of there. Actually, scratch that - whoever owns Greece, kick him out ASAP so the money gets decent use.

R3dD0g
11-24-2004, 23:19
...If you're not the Brutii and they own Greece, it's well worth trying to kick them out of there. Actually, scratch that - whoever owns Greece, kick him out ASAP so the money gets decent use.
In my first campaign, as Julii, while poking around east of home, I noticed the Mausoleum, read the description and thought 'Nice'. So, I built a big army and sent them over to talk about a little trade.

I noticed that after finally pacifying that lot, my money started to climb, really fast.

I think from now on, whatever campaign, the GCS will be a big priority. They are so RICH.

Ashen
11-25-2004, 04:22
I've seen over 8k off athens with fully upgraded buildings and a good general. Luckily it was mine at the time :)