PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy bug or stupid Egyptians

rebelscum
12-08-2004, 13:38
Playing Seleucid in VH/VH, I just took Sidon from Egypt. As denarii are scarce, I sell map information willy nilly, even factions I am at war with will buy it for top dollar. I don't feel it gives the AI any advantage (please clarify). Anyhoo, I sell map information to the Egyptians and click leave demands blank. The Egyptians offer 5765 if I give back Sidon and give them the map info, and to add spice ,they will attack if I don't(I'm shaking). I counter that witless rubbish with some more witless rubbish. Please do not attack (with tongue in cheek), offer map info, but no Sidon (over my rotting carcass), for the full 5765 bucks. Pharoh in his wisdom accepts! Even my diplomat was shocked , and he's been around. I found him dead drunk in a Jerusalem taverna mumbling something along the lines of 'I thought that was it, my legs torn off by lions, and my entrails offered up to Set'. I currently have one diplomat wandering around the desert, so far he hasn't found so much as a scarab beetle. Maybe the Egyptians thought they were getting the map to the location of King solomons mines. Who knows? ~;)

The_Emperor
12-08-2004, 14:56
Map info is extremely valuble in diplomacy in RTW.

Many players have given examples of how they were able to sell map info for a vast amount. It also seems the more you can see on the map the more your map is worth so if you have a big empire, you can easily rake in the cash by selling your map to another rich faction.

i once was able to exchange map info for a town which was rather neat.

I offered map info, the enemy countered with a tribute demand and an "accept or we will attack" I countered... Removed the "Please do not attack" (because I wanted to make it plain I wasn't afraid of their pathetic threats) removed the tribute (well I AM the regional Superpower) added in a small border town of theirs and added the words "accept or we will attack"...

They then caved in and handed over the town!! ~D My nearby army then marched up and took posession... Then the former garisson decided they had made a mistake in leaving the town and decided to force their return. It was pathetic!

rebelscum
12-08-2004, 16:52
Pathetic seems to be a word widely used on this forum when referring to the art of diplomacy. I can only assume that the variables in the algorytm used to determine wether the other party accept your offer are updated with every offer made.
I have a problem dealing with puny factions (Armenia) who insist on offering an alliance along with every sale, how many times do I have to uncheck that option. Can't they add a
'the only way I would be allied with you would be, if every good looking maiden (between the ages of 16 and 25) in your country gathered in your capital, stripped naked, and danced for my pleasure whilst feeding me grapes and wine, whilst I lie in a bed of finest silks, oh and throw in several cohorts of your crack infantry, and a large sack of gold and diamonds to boot'
option.