PDA

View Full Version : Gettin my hair cut

ichi
12-11-2004, 02:36
Since the 60's I have had long hair, and for most of the 70's and 80's even sported a world class mullet.

About two years ago I quit cutting it altogether, mainly because I was tired of my crew givin me $h!t all the time about the mudflap.

So lately I have been told, almost daily, that I need to get a haircut. I live in a rural western town filled with LDS missionary types, and in my work long hair is OK for the guys with chainsaws and shovels but not for management.

So, for Christmas I am cutting my hair. Or, to be precise, I am auctioning off the opportunity to cut off my hair and to style it as the highest bidder sees fit.

My 13-16" long hair will be donated to Locks of Love which is a charity that provides hair to kids with cancer who have lost their's as a result of chemotherapy.

The cash raised (over $900 so far) will go to buy Christmas presents for poor kids who otherwise wouldnt get much this year.

Apparently a lot of people want a shot at my head, some plan to use sheepshears or kids safety scissors.

Once the main body is cut off the highest bidders get to cut what is left - right now the 3 contending groups are 1) Purple Mohawk 2) LDS Missionary 3) my crew wants to carve their initials (FC) into the back of my head - i think they are referring to my hair, but not sure they may mean use a knife on my scalp!!

The local TV and radio stations are broadcasting the event live and a pizza place is donating lunch.

I mention this just cause I rarely do anything that I can be proud of, and didn't want to miss the opportunity to let you all know that, in this case, I am actually demonstrating decent behavior.

Anybody wants to kick in just email me at

ichi_san@lycos.com

and I send you the url to donate

Oh, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas /Hanukkah / Kwanza / Boxing Day

~:cheers:

ichi

Gregoshi
12-11-2004, 03:37
ichi, I'm impressed. You set a fine example of what is good about mankind. A nice and refreshing change of pace from the norm in this world lately. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

:bow:

Sjakihata
12-11-2004, 04:49
please do send a picture of your new style when it's done

ah_dut
12-11-2004, 14:04
please do send a picture of your new style when it's done
Sorry, but I really do want to see what you look like with a truly bizzare haircut...

Oaty
12-12-2004, 01:46
Apparently a lot of people want a shot at my head

So can I get a shot in :rifle:

Hosakawa Tito
12-12-2004, 02:37
So can I get a shot in
You have to pony up first oaty, then get in line from the looks of it.
A nice gesture ichi, way to go. ~:thumb:

A.Saturnus
12-12-2004, 19:09
The local TV and radio stations are broadcasting the event live and a pizza place is donating lunch.

Is there someone who can record the event?

Steppe Merc
12-12-2004, 19:44
While I am sad that you are cutting your hair, I admire that you are doing it for a good cause. And I think that you should grow it right back again. ~;)

ichi
12-13-2004, 06:35
Is there someone who can record the event?

I think we can be sure that there will be a solid record of this, and I look forward to uploading some pics

Thanks for your kind words, all

ichi

KafirChobee
12-13-2004, 20:51
Good show, ichi. Would make for a great scam, too - but, I know you well enough to believe that this is something you gave alot of thought to (versus testing a taser on yourself). Is it closed bid? ~:cheers:

Do us favor, post the url.

ichi
12-18-2004, 03:31
This went off today as planned, and was an absolute riot.

About 50 people showed up - I was shackled by the County Sheriff and placed in a chair while the bidding was conducted to determine who would decide what hairstyle I would end up with.

The group donated over $1600 dollars and made me get a Mormon Missionary cut - I lost my beard and the mustache I have had for over 30 years.

I have uploaded pics (too stoopid to know how to post them otherwise) so when they available I'll post them.

Basically we laughed our asses off - local pizza place donated the food and the local TV and radio stations showed up to do live broadcasts and tonite I'm on the evening news.

I look so totally different than folks are used to that I have been having a balst walking up to long-time acquaintances and asking thme for directions.

More when its avaiable.

ichi :bow:

(I hope that my use of the Org upload is OK - theres a warning about uploading non-game related pics - so maybe we can post em for a while and then clean em out in a week or two. I just dont know any other way to do it since I dont have them on another URL that I can link to).

ichi
12-22-2004, 18:18
OK
So this was me before the haircut (please keep your laughter to a minimum

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/forum/beforehaircut.jpg

We had quite a crowd, including the local TV and radio

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/forum/haircutcrowd.jpg

Notice that I am shackled with a belly chain, courtesy of the local Sheriff

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/forum/shackled.jpg

and of, the new 'do

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/forum/plucked.jpg

This was a real blast and like I said, we raised over $1600 to help Santa visit some kids who might not have gotten much otherwise.

Don Corleone
12-22-2004, 18:38
Dude, what's the little woman going to say about you without the beard? ~;)

Congratulations Ichi, I think that is without a doubt the most noble act I've heard of this holiday season.

When you say 'crew', are you a lumberjack?

ichi
12-22-2004, 18:54
Don, the 'Little Woman' or "the blond' as I refer to her, kissed me and said something about not getting hair up her nose, so I think she likes it.

I'm not a lumberjack, look at my logo on my chest in the pictures. I work in wildland fire management.

And I appreciate your kind words.

Ser Clegane
12-22-2004, 19:00
Great posts and a fantastic idea, Ichi :thumbsup: ~:cheers:

You indeed look like you had loads of fun on that day ~:)

Don Corleone
12-22-2004, 19:05
I was wondering what the patch said, I couldn't make it out. The monitor I've got doesn't do all that great a job. Man, Ichi, your karmic stock is going up by the moment.... not only did you give up your hair & beard for charity, but for a living you put out forest fires?

:stunned:

I am seriously impressed.

ah_dut
12-22-2004, 21:17
fun...really how do you feel about it?

Gregoshi
12-22-2004, 21:21
Two comments:

1) You are a remarkable man ichi.

2) It looks like you lucked out on getting a fairly "normal" haircut.

Orda Khan
12-22-2004, 21:45
Indeed Ichi I agree with Gregoshi, you ended up with a normal hair cut, they could have been far more sadistic.
It was a very noble act and much respect is due.
My wife says the shorter look suits you

........Orda

ichi
12-22-2004, 22:36
fun...really how do you feel about it?

This is the funny thing, I had hoped for a shaved head or purple Mohawk, but the folks in the office knew that I would revel in the fact that I had a bizarre cut that THEY gave me, and preempted my joke on them by playing a joke on me - a normal 'do.

*blushes at the kind comments*

We all have our good days and our bad days, believe me I'm no saint.

Thanks Orda, one of the secretaries, about 60 yrs old, told me I was a 'hottie' LOL

ichi

Steppe Merc
12-22-2004, 22:40
Poor guy... you got your hair cut... amazing thing about hair is that it grows back. That's my only advice.

LittleGrizzly
12-22-2004, 23:04
Ichi your a great guy!

though i have to say prefer the long hair myself...

Jochi Khan
12-22-2004, 23:54
Yes ichi

A truly remarkable and noble act.

Your generosity towards unfortunate children deserves a pat on the back.

I salute you. :bow:

Jochi

JAG
12-23-2004, 00:13
Like so many others here I salute you Ichi, very well done. :bow:

Redleg
12-23-2004, 00:34
A truely great idea and a worthy cause for losing your hair - better then some who lose their hair only to age.

LOL

~:cheers:

The_Emperor
12-23-2004, 00:47
Great stuff Ichi!

Though I kind of expected them to go the full way upon reading the initial thread post... Oh well we'll get the clippers out on someone else some other time for cash! ~D

Your head must feel kinda cold, especially at this time of year!

Anyway good job on raising the money for a good cause. :bow:

DemonArchangel
12-23-2004, 00:50
Ah, good work Ichi. You look older though without the beard. And more red-eyed.

Redleg
12-23-2004, 01:33
Don, the 'Little Woman' or "the blond' as I refer to her, kissed me and said something about not getting hair up her nose, so I think she likes it.

I'm not a lumberjack, look at my logo on my chest in the pictures. I work in wildland fire management.

And I appreciate your kind words.

I wonder which area you manage - could it be some of my old ski-ing areas in the Huntsville area - or are you managing the deserts - and boy do I know there is an awful lot of desert in Utah? Just a question - feel free to ignore if its to personal.

I once helped to create a great big fire outside of Dugway Proving Grounds in 1988 that kept your crews working for a few days.

Crazed Rabbit
12-23-2004, 03:51
Well done ichi!
Your act embodies the Christmas spirit, and you got a free haircut!
In humble admiration,
Crazed Rabbit

Sensei Warrior
12-23-2004, 09:12
WOW

What a cool thing to do. Its the nicest thing I have heard someone doing for others this Xmas as well. I'll be brave enough to say that I think your new cut is very becoming although I don't know you well enough to say that its fits you.

ichi
12-23-2004, 20:46
Thanks to all for your kind words.

Merry Christmas everybody!!