PDA

View Full Version : cant open up all fractions

steve
12-20-2004, 01:15
i downloaded the mod or whatever it is and did what it told me to do. but for some reason when i go to the imperial campain screen only the the 3 fractions remain open. I am pretty sure i am doing it right because i have done it before but then i had to reinstall everything, but now it doesnt seem to work.

soibean
12-20-2004, 04:44
in this game, unlike MTW, you need to beat the faction before playing as them. But not all factions are playable anyway, the senate isnt and pontus and I think a couple others Im not sure.

Exodus
12-20-2004, 05:23
You can play all factions. just use the mod steve was talking about.

no idea why it wont work for you steve ~:eek:

Oaty
12-20-2004, 12:28
This is a totalwar board. If ya wanna know more about fractions go to a math forum!!!! :book: ~D

HicRic
12-20-2004, 12:32
You want all factions, not fractions, I presume. (Dude, I can play as 3/4, 4/9, and 34/67! ~D )

Go to (RTW)\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

Then edit the text file descr_strat.txt. You'll see a list of factions under different headings: playable, unlockable, unplayable. Take every faction and cut&paste them under the 'playable' heading, EXCEPT slaves and senate. You aren't supposed to play as these and you'll get bad bugs if you do.

(Edit: Darn it, Oaty, you beat me to the joke. ~;) )

steve
12-20-2004, 19:22
ok thanks, i will try that. i think the senate was listed under playable also.

chemchok
12-20-2004, 19:28
Wait, what mod are you talking about?

HicRic
12-20-2004, 22:01
There's a mod to make all factions unlocked; although a simple text file edit suffices so I don't see it's purpose.

I wouldn't play as the Senate! I think the game gets very confused if you do. Crazy things might happen, like the Senate trying to outlaw itself...maybe. For all I know, it works fine, but if you play as them, be prepared for weirdness. ~;)

chemchok
12-20-2004, 22:07
No, I meant the mod steve originally used. He might be using the imperial campaign instead of a provincial campaign.

steve
12-21-2004, 05:41
whats the difference?

chemchok
12-21-2004, 06:29
For starters, provincial and imperial campaigns have different descr_strat.txt files, so provincial campaigns can have different playable faction selections (if that was intended by the modders). Beyond that, there could be plenty of differences.

For example, the tutorial sons of mars campaign is setup as a provincial campaign - IIRC, there are only 4 factions in that campaign besides the Romans.

steve
12-21-2004, 08:00
so how do i play the provincial instead of imperial?

chemchok
12-21-2004, 14:35
so how do i play the provincial instead of imperial?

You still haven't said what mod you're using. ~D

If you're using a faction unlocker mod, then the option to start a provincial campaign won't be there. If you had installed, say, RTR, the provincial campaign option would be present in the main menu.