CTD.
I tried again.
CTD.
I lowered all the settings.
CTD.
I reinstalled.
CTD.
Help.

I was going to contact EA but you need to register the game and apparently only Europeans can register their Battlefeild 1942s.

I just got the damn game today and now it's already giving me a heart attack.

Divine Wind
12-27-2004, 03:53
Ah strange coincidence this, as it just happened to me recently with Battlefield Vietnam. I pretty much did what you did, lowered settings, reinstalled, patched etc, but if none of these worked for me either.

After going through websites, and the EA Support Centre we worked out that it was my graphics card that was not compatible with the game, so in the end i had to fork out a bit of cash for a Geforce FX 5200.

After that it worked perfect!

Perhaps your problem also is in your hardware. What PC specs does your computer have?

P.S. I have a EA account so if you PM me with what u want to know then ill ask them for you.

Kaiser of Arabia
12-27-2004, 05:16
Er... I'm not too sure about what my specs are (I have no idea actually)
But it might be. I spawn and it works fine for a second then it crashes.
I'll try the grafics card though, thats probably the problem. I can't play Half Life 2 with this card either so I need a new one anyway.
Thaniks!

Divine Wind
12-27-2004, 12:44
For your system specs goto:

Start > control panel > system > general > then look at the infomation there and it should tell you!

As for your graphics card:

Right click the mouse button over a clear space of desktop > properties > settings > then see the line of writing under 'Display', that is your graphics card.

Hope it helps.

Kaiser of Arabia
12-27-2004, 17:41
Windows XP Pentiums 4 CPU 2.40GHZ 2.39GHz 1.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Spino
12-27-2004, 19:08
Don't bother registering with EA. I'd sooner have you sign your soul over to the devil first... Go to the official BF1942 forums and see what other users are saying about Nvidia drivers, especially the ones you're using now.

Might be the drivers causing the CTDs. I'm not familiar with Nvidia's drivers but I guarantee there must be a recent driver set that is the most stable of all the ones released over the last 6 months. Also check some of Nvidia's fan sites for info.

Don't dismiss the driver argument, you'd be surprised at how many times it is the culprit for certain games. Writing stable, compatible driver code seems to be a dark art unto itself...

Before you change your drivers go into your BIOS and turn off Fast Writes. This feature is hugely overrated by geekazoid overclocking geeks and for the most part is a total waste of time. The negligible if laugable speed gains to be had by enabling Fast Writes are often achieved at the cost of system stability. Now if that doesn't work also may also want to turn down your AGP setting from 8x to 4x and see if that works. There is little difference in performance between the two settings.

On an aside as far as ATI goes no driver set to date was as stable as the Catalyst 3.5s were for me. They are perhaps the best all around drivers ATI has made over the last 3-5 years. After the 3.5s I'd have to say the 3.10s were also extremely stable with DX games. I tried many of the subsequent drivers but always went back to the 3.10s for DX games. It was only when DX9 games started to hit the market I was so reluctant to upgrade I even went so far as to extract and use the individual OpenGl file from the Cat 4.9s beta drivers for use with Doom3 rather than give up that rock solid DX performance I got with the Cat 3.10s. I recently installed the Catalyst 4.12 drivers and while my performance in DX9 games has become much better I noticed I am getting more lockups and CTDs. I really miss the Catalyst 3.10s... ~:mecry:

Seriously consider doing some research on Nvidia's driver sets over the last 6 months. The forums on this site are a good place to start...

http://www.nvnews.net/

ah_dut
12-27-2004, 19:57
No need, get Lavasys' Everest home edition to identify drivers. Then get a 5x.xx or 4x.xx driver as opposed to the 6x.xx drivers which are causing major issues with some cards. That's all I can say.

Kaiser of Arabia
12-27-2004, 22:18
i DLED THE latest Nvidia drivers, and it worked! W00t! Thanks for youre help guys.

PanzerJaeger
12-28-2004, 04:46
Do you like it Capo? I hate the BF series, but i know alot who like it. ~;)

ElmarkOFear
12-28-2004, 04:58
BF1942 always seemed very unorganized and not very "Team" oriented. Just a lot of people running around dying all over the place. I like the smaller battlefields of Call Of Duty. My son got the add-on 'United Offensive' for Christmas, but I have yet to get him off the PC so I can try it online! hehe

Kaiser of Arabia
12-29-2004, 00:06
BF1942s ok, I like some of the battles, Operation Crusader is really fun. Other than that though it's not as good as Call of Duty.
Still fun though.

PanzerJaeger
12-29-2004, 08:53
UO is everything BF should have been imo.

Voigtkampf
12-29-2004, 09:16
Capo, if you are a Star Wars fan, try this mod for BF1942. Great thing, it got a great deal of fans, and I played it a lot while I still had my BF1942. I think I gave it away or something… GAH! Now I have only BF: Vietnam, but this mod is still being made for 1942 solely. :wall:

I believe that is somewhat big though… Around 400 MB. Heh, I used to download it via dial-up, so crazed was I for it! :rolleyes:

http://www.swbattlefield.jolt.co.uk/

PS CoD still ownz 'em all! ~;)

Spino
12-29-2004, 17:47
Capo, if you are a Star Wars fan, try this mod for BF1942. Great thing, it got a great deal of fans, and I played it a lot while I still had my BF1942. I think I gave it away or something… GAH! Now I have only BF: Vietnam, but this mod is still being made for 1942 solely. :wall:

I believe that is somewhat big though… Around 400 MB. Heh, I used to download it via dial-up, so crazed was I for it! :rolleyes:

http://www.swbattlefield.jolt.co.uk/

PS CoD still ownz 'em all! ~;)

Galactic Conquest f/k/a SW Battlefield is a FANTASTIC mod! Tragically, not many people play it, especially since the release of SW:Battlefront.

ShadesPanther
12-29-2004, 18:01
Desert combat isa a very good mod also. It's Desert Storm 1 and some of the missions are really cool like attacking a village by helicopter. Wish they had a mod so you could play ride of the Valkrie when you swoop in like Battlefield:vietnam

Kaiser of Arabia
12-29-2004, 18:32
Cool thanks.

How is SW Battlefront anyway?

Kaiser of Arabia
12-29-2004, 19:08
It's 655mb now. Thats version 4.0
And Voightkampf, I got BF1942, Mohaa, and Secret Weapons over Normandy for 30$ alltogether, so if you want it back it's only gonna cost 10$ US.
I think I got a good deal on it anyway.
Thanks
-Capo

Voigtkampf
12-30-2004, 07:33
I must admit, it’s a nice deal! Over there in US, that is; in my parts of Europe BF1942 is still holding its original price, unfortunately. But that is not as much of an issue as my time is; I don’t have enough time. I only play CoD clan wars online now, and few games that I need to review. I haven’t even played Rome online for over a month now, and SP I haven’t played… Wow… Even much longer time!

As for SW Battlefront, don’t go playing online if you have dial-up. It’s a nightmare. Otherwise it is a decent game, but I sincerely thought I would be more knocked off my feat to be finally able to sit in an AT-AT and blow up rebel speeders. It just didn’t do it for me, unfortunately.

Crazed Rabbit
01-02-2005, 01:13
BF1942 always seemed very unorganized and not very "Team" oriented. Just a lot of people running around dying all over the place. I like the smaller battlefields of Call Of Duty. My son got the add-on 'United Offensive' for Christmas, but I have yet to get him off the PC so I can try it online! hehe

If you're looking for a very team oriented mod for CoD, try Heat of Battle, at www.heatofbattle.net. It keeps the WWII setting, adds new guns, skins, and loads of great maps, but most importantly areas that have to be captured by multiple people (like DoD). They have also added new code to make deployable MGs possible in stock CoD. Their system is better, in fact, than UO's, because the mapper doesn't have to specify where MGs can be deployed.

I remember trying the demo for the Secret weapons expansion of BF42, but was disenchanted by the arcady feel.

Crazed Rabbit