PDA

View Full Version : Any MechWarriors Here?

Alexander the Pretty Good
12-30-2004, 03:36
I haven't gotten into the Mechwarrior universe thing; I have played MechCommander (which I enjoyed) and the demo for Mercs 4 (ditto). I am wondering, what are the opinions of anyone here on the whole series, particularly for those who havnen't gotten into it like me. Should I get Mercs 4? My computer can handle it and it looks good and all...

:book:

jeffreyLebowski
01-11-2005, 15:36
i was a huge battletech fan when i was younger. used to play the table top game and all that. the mechwarrior series is bad ass. i highly recommend them all. honestly, though, number 2 is considered the best in the series. the graphics are weak by today's standards, but the plot, music, atmosphere is probably the best. you can't go wrong with any of those games, really.

Phatose
01-11-2005, 15:59
I'm not a mechwarrior per se, but I get into it every now and then. Didn't care too much for mechcommander, but it wasn't quite awful. Mechwarrior 3 was fun, but rapidly because a game of shooting kneecaps. 2 was OK, but Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries was a blast and a half. Dunno if MW4 mercs is any good - heard they messed around with loadouts and limited flexibility a whole lot in MW4, and that kind of turned me away. Balanced energy/missile/ballistic loadouts never worked very well imho - not enough firepower from the ballistic weapons for a real knockout punch, not enough space or weight for adequate heat control for the energy weapons, and missiles have been a bad joke in every MW game I've played.

The_Doctor
01-11-2005, 18:29
I was a MechWarrior about 2 year ago...
Last time I went into battle I couldn't hit a thing and died on the first mission. It's all CA's fault with their great games. My friends all played it as well, they did make a clan called Clan Fenris, has anyone heard of it? They all went to uni and I don't know wont happened to it.

*Martyn looks at joystick and finds MW4 games*

MW4 series are great games. If you are going to buy any of them, get the MW4:Mercenaries, because it has new Mechs, weapons, maps etc and the campaign is longer and non-linear.

I wonder when there will be real Mechs?

Krusader
01-12-2005, 02:45
I really enjoyed the Mech Commander 2 game!!

Recommend it...

Lehesu
01-13-2005, 04:46
Bah. I use to be a Mechwarrior PC game junky, but introduction to CBT and Megamek has purged the hobby. The board game, and the PC version Megamek, is infinitely more engaging than Mechwarrior.

Somebody Else
01-13-2005, 07:20
I played a whiile - even online for a bit, I had MW4: Mercs - for some reason I always found a perverse pleasure in kitting myself with a tiny, but exceedingly fast machine with one large laser or something, and running around making a nuisance of myself.

I found that a fair few people used purely flame-throwing mechs, which were quite annoyingly effective.

Demon of Light
01-19-2005, 20:47
If you ever see Michael Maniakes online, that's me.

Kraellin
01-20-2005, 05:35
i played both 3 and 4 mechwarrior, mostly online. 3 was good, but the hackers made it a joke. 4 is also good, especially if you get the add-ons, of which i have two... or is it three? i forget. i quit playing. mech 4 is much more customizable with the add-ons and you get new mech types. i loved playing some of those mega-mechs and yes, i also played flamer mechs. nothing like getting up close and personal and .... FLAME ON with about 6 flame throwers!!! talk about melt-downs :)

i had some very good fun playing multi with mech 4. there are lots of good maps and very good players. street battles in large cities could be a riot. there were also new modes of play in mech 4, one of which was a sort of capture the flag game. quite fun. we'd set up guards at the home flag and scouts and runners to grab the enemy flag. generally, the big bruisers would guard and the smaller but faster mechs would play offense. the jump jets are better in 4, so you had to defend not only at the street level but against all the stuff that would come in from above over the rooftops. it was a hoot :)

i tended to like the bigger, monster mechs, but the game was such that you could also take out the big boys if you knew how to use the smaller, fast mechs, and some knew how very well. more than once i was toppled by some insect running around my legs that i could never quite get a clean shot at ;)

all in all, mech 4 was worth the money, especially if you got some of the add-on packs!

K.

caspian
01-30-2005, 05:55
i had some very good fun playing multi with mech 4. there are lots of good maps and very good players. K.

I've played Mechwarrior since the first 256 color one. And Im really interested in playing online with Mechwarrior 4. Could you tell me what I would need to buy (there are three Mech 4 titles I think)? And is the online community still rampaging these days?

---
I checked out some Mechwarrior sites and there arent a lot of modders out there. Here in the Total War Universe we have tons of mods in development but over there I could only find one team hoarding the modding tools. Hmm... wonder why....