PDA

View Full Version : Which Console?

Forward Observer
01-02-2005, 22:55
I have never owned a console system or even played a console game, other than something like GTA 3 or Max Payne that got released to the PC either before of after console release.

Lately, some of the stuff coming out for the console seems pretty interesting, and I am always ready for some alternative gaming experiences. Games like Ratchet and Clank just look like they might be fun to play.

My question is--if you were only going to purchase one system--which would you get?

I'm thinking game selection as my main qualifier, since I don't have any idea if any of the individual systems are superior enough to make a huge difference.

Bear in mind that I am mainly interested in the single player experience of a game, and I dislike sports games. Also, for some reason, Halo and Halo 2 have no appeal to me what-so-ever.

Cheers.

IrishMike
01-02-2005, 23:49
Since it appears first person shooters and sports games have no effect on you. I would reccomend a PS2 for you. Due to the sheer amount of games it has over other consoles. As of now PS2 has a much larger game base than the other systems, with pretty good graphics. Although I think Xbox might just have a tad bit better graphics.

ah_dut
01-03-2005, 00:13
In technical terms, the PC and Xbox are far in the lead. However, the Xbox doesn't have so many good games. So that narrows it down to PS2 and Gamecube, I like the gamecube personally but that's cos I love Mario. You'd prolly like the PS2 more...

ShadesPanther
01-03-2005, 00:21
The PS2 has the worst graphics of the three. The Xbox and Gamecube has good games but not that many games. The PS2 has the same number of good games but loads and loads of others.
Generally the Gamecube has games like mario and metroid and it has Resident evil totally udated and has new stuff. XBox has some good games like Halo and a few good sports and racing games. PS2 has GTA, Killzone and Gran Turismo and lots of other titles.

Fragony
01-03-2005, 14:04
Just get all of them. The PS2 is kind of weak in the hardware department but that shouldn't stop you from getting it because it has TONS of good games. The gamecube doesn't have that many titles but that shouldn't stop you from getting it (Metroid Prime 1&2 YAY). The x-box is the only one you could do without if you allready own a pc, but that shouldn't stop you from getting it since it has Ninja Gaiden. If you put a gun to my head an ordered me to throw 2 in the water I would first try to disarm you, if I didn't have any choice the cube would stay.

Lehesu
01-03-2005, 19:01
X-Box. Better graphics, and there are some very good games if you know where to look (and on the cheap). And X-Box is always better when it comes to multi-platform releases as it has more power.

The Tuffen
01-03-2005, 22:13
I recently had to make the same choice as i wanted a new PC and had to sell one of my consoles (xbox or PS2 - had already sold gamecube).

I choose to stay with the PS2 because most of the games on the Xbox will make an apperance on the PC anway (ie. KOTOR 2).

Although i'm kind of regretting getting rid of it now but as soon as i can save up enough i'll prob get another

Alexander the Pretty Good
01-04-2005, 03:41
I (well, my siblings and I) own a Gamecube - sometimes I have found the game selection disappointing, but no real other complaints. Generally good graphics, and enough fun games for when PC games don't cut it or I'm being too lazy to turn on my laptop. ~D

With your requirements, I'd say Gamecube -

Xbox is out, since shooters and sports aren't your thing AND you can get most of those games on PC. It does have online multiplayer.

PS2 isn't the strongest in hardware, and it has a lot of sports & shooters - but tons of other games, as well - plenty of selection. I think it has online multiplayer (???).

Gamecube has OK selection - slightly better than Xbox - but probably the most colorful selection, with games like Mario and Pikmin. Does NOT have online multiplayer.

If you put a gun to my head an ordered me to throw 2 in the water I would first try to disarm you, if I didn't have any choice the cube would stay.
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh3: :grin2: :laugh: :laugh:

Definitely going into a sig! ~D