PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year - what's yours?

econ21
01-05-2005, 02:26
Just wondering what folk here would select as their favorite computer game of 2004?

For me, regrettably, it is not RTW - that game is amazing in many ways, but for some reason (probably lack of challenge), lost its appeal rather abruptly.

I would go instead for Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. I only reluctantly bought it, but was bowled over. It is a worthy successor to one of the greatest CRPGs, Fallout - amazing atmosphere, cracking dialogue, memorable characters, unique subquests, visceral combat, dark and adult tone (!) etc. Graphically, it is jaw-dropping - perhaps the first CRPG to build on those great talking heads from Fallout and provide characters (Jack, Jeanette etc) that are truly cinematic, visually as well as verbally. But above all, the immersion was brilliant - sucking the reluctant player (in my case) into the role of a vampire. I started off begruggingly scouring the sewers to feed on rats, mortified at the thought of feeding on humans, and ended up corrupted in my second run through, rejoicing in the embrace as my Malkavian female vampire wrapped her legs around some poor innocent... Perhaps the game moment that revealed that most clearly the immersive qualities of Bloodlines was when an old friend of my character's pre-vampire days recognised him in the street and promised to gather round all his old friends ... I reacted in horror, appalled that any human would intrude on my new life as a vampire. A rare CRPG that actually induces role-playing...

Anyway, that's my nomination - what would other people choose?

SwordsMaster
01-05-2005, 04:15
I´m not too sure. VTMB is really good, but its laggy and its kinda disappointing in that aspect and the excessive frequency of loading phases.

Im not sure if KOTOR is 2004 game. If it is, then it is KOTOR for me. If not, then MAx Payne 2 (again, was it 2003 or 2004?).

If you liked the "dark, adult tone", and like shooters with beautiful graphics and great effects, then MP" is your game. Besides, the story if some would say somewhat linear, is very well presented.

Quietus
01-05-2005, 06:11
Of the games I played (which is not many), I have to say: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (pc).

Riddick is Bad-a**(the character and the game)! The gameplay is a superb mix of fun and challenging (I played at highest difficulty). Control is very intuitive and the graphics is eyepopping as well.

RTW needs a major patch (no-duh) to reduce kill-rate and speed rate to STW/MTW level. The game is too "kiddie-fied" right now. ~:)

:charge:

Fragony
01-05-2005, 10:46
Metroid Prime 2. Absolutely brilliant game.

frogbeastegg
01-05-2005, 12:34
Let me think; what have I played this year? I'll ignore the handful of older games I picked up, like Vicky.

Vampire: very good; not a game I was interested in but one I got because I have to read the thread full of ecstatic praise (curse this job!! :tongueg:). Very, very good .... but riddled with tech issues.

RTW: again very good, but in need of a hefty patch if it is to truly shine. I play maybe 2 games of MP a week, and that is in a good week. Aside from that I've only done 3 completed short campaigns. I have done my grumblnig over in the RTW forum so I won't repeat here.

Pirates: another game I got because of this job! :shakes fist at enthusiastic posters: Addictive, addictive, addicitive. I uninstalled it because I played it so much I was in danger of getting sick of it. But ... too simple for GOTY for me. Simplicity is good, but when you realise you are donig the same few things over and over and over it loses quite a bit of polish.

Crusader Kings: has potential, but at least one more patch is needed before it reaches it. I have hopes for 1.5.

I think that's it for the PC; it has been a very sparse year until the end. I played some console titles and I have a few Christmas presents left to play properly as I'm trying to be methodical for once and finish one game before starting another. I have a bad habit of getting distracted and leaving a game half finished. But no one game has really awed me this year. Last year KOTOR really grabbed me and refused to let go; this year nothing has really done the same; I have enjoyed many games, even loved a few, but none have that special something. Some of those Christmas titles I expect to awe at least a little; Metroid Prime 2, Ninja Gaiden, Paper Mario 2 (when it finally *gets* here).

Fragony
01-05-2005, 13:04
In the name of everything that is holy, go play echoes asap. I love this game to death and I would marry it if it was legal. There is no excuse for keeping it on the shelve unless the dog ate your thumbs.

Krusader
01-05-2005, 13:14
The only games Ive played alot is Rome:TW, Medieval:TW, Pirates, World of Warcraft, Vampire: Bloodlines.

My GOTY goes to Vampire (who has some problems) and Rome:TW (who as, 93.7% of the .org feels, needs a patch)

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
01-05-2005, 13:27
I only got two games this year; Rome Total War and Crusader Kings.

Both got some potential, but I guess other games I have not played deserve to be game of the year...

(and now I feel like maybe I ought to look at this vampire game.... ~:eek: )

Louis,

frogbeastegg
01-05-2005, 14:15
I'm determined to finish Prime 1 before I start Prime 2; I got all the way up to phazon mines last year and then I had to stop playing for weeks for some reason or other. When I could play again I was in the hardest part of the game with only forgotten skills; I just couldn't pick it back up. I just got the boost ball in my replay and so far I'm making rapid progress, even if I do only do about 30 minutes a day. I want to savour the Prime 2 experience, and I feel sure I will enjoy it more if I play it right after finishing Prime 1.

Louis, Vampire is definitely worth a look, if only to see if you like RPG type games. It's one of the strongest in that genre in years. The quest and CTD bugs have been fixed in a patch, and the performance issues should be fixed in a second (I hope). The game is playable even if it does get a bit jerky in some places.

The Tuffen
01-05-2005, 14:32
Vampire would get my vote. Although it does have a few bugs i found it to be a great game.

runners up are: MOH:Pacific Assault, GTA San Andreas, RTW, Pirates, and HL2

ShadesPanther
01-05-2005, 17:22
I would say Half life 2 tied with GTA: San Andreas. RTW comes 2nd.

The Blind King of Bohemia
01-05-2005, 17:28
Pro evo 4, then Grand theft auto san andreas then Rome.

I also really loved freedom fighters on the gamecube and star wars battlefront, two good games, especially with your mates around.

King Edward
01-05-2005, 17:48
I know its not a 2004 game but the one i have spent the most playing is Final Fantasy X must be my favorite game so far ever. Its been a barron year for PC games if you ask me, mothing has really jumped out at me as WOW great game. I guess the most hours spent in front of my PC have been on MTW :VI, and Championship/Football manager games.

Am Currently spending Hours on my PS2 with X-men: Legends

jeffreyLebowski
01-05-2005, 19:55
my picks are going to come out of nowhere:

PC: Call of Duty: United Offensive. My favorite FPS of all time. They took an already amazing game (CoD) and improved upon it in every way imaginable. The scope of the included conflicts are huge, from storming entire towns with several squads and armor support to defending the line from a Russian trench. The battles in UO make CoD's battles seem more like skirmishes. You truly feel like part of a combat unit in this one, your AI teammates are far more useful, and the enemy AI is brutal. The increase in difficulty from the original is most welcome, and really wratchets up the intesnsity when you're ambushed and looking for cover from the MG42 rounds spraying by your head. Good stuff.

PS2: Metal Gear Solid 3. If only George Lucas could write prequels like this. What can I say? The plot is awesome, wrapping up, filling in, and explaining any question you might have had from the first 2. It also features the best chase scene in a video game ever, and maybe of any movie ever. The gameplay is finally at the forefront, with barely any codec speeches. This MGS is more of a game, than a movie, unlike the last one. That's not to say the story has been downplayed... In fact, this is the best and most effective plot of all the MGS games. The story unfolds in expertly directed cutscenes that rival a hollywood production. The score is amazing and the voicework is excellent. The final conflict of the game (you'll know when you get there, trust me) is one of the most cinematically gorgeous scenes I've ever seen... ever... in movies or games.

Nelson
01-05-2005, 21:01
For me, it's Rome: Total War hands down even before the patch.

I'm lucky in that my interests span several genres. I thought 2004 was a banner year for the PC.

UT2004 and HL2 are excellent. The latest Call of Duty is a blast. Doom3 is fine. Pacific Fighters continues Oleg Maddox's domination of the flight sim genre. Pirates! is captivating and Riddick EfBB is surprisingly good. BfME is a fun RTS.

Phatose
01-06-2005, 02:16
Since I haven't actually played anything 'new' this year, my GotY is an update for a much older game. Freespace 2: Open makes good old FS2 look absolutely beautiful. They're still working hard on it, and it's only getting better. Still has the solid gameplay that made FS2 such fun too.

Byzantine Prince
01-06-2005, 02:22
You people are blasphimers. This, undoubtedly the best strategy game ever made and it's not even on the top of your game list. For shame. lol, just joking.

RTW is my favorite game though.

Forward Observer
01-06-2005, 03:13
The best shooter I have played this year was FarCry, although I am about 1/3 of the way into Halflife 2, and so far it is pretty doggone good.

Call of Duty United Offensive was OK, but I am getting a bit burned out on WW II shooters

Best strategy/adventure game has to be Pirates. I have played it so much since it came out that I had to stop before I got totally sick of it.

I'm wish I could add RTW to the list, but after installing it, I barely played through the tutorial before I got distracted with other things and just never got back to it. One of my resolutions for 2005 is finally concentrate and get into playing the darn thing.

Cheers

Efrem
01-06-2005, 13:15
Hmm,

It would be between Rome, Vampires and Halflife 2.

Vampires wins it, the characters are just too good, I hope to god the tech part is patched up.

Beirut
01-06-2005, 13:41
Rome:TW is fantastic. Love the huge battles. At 1600x1200 res they are a thing of beauty. great stuff.

But heresy rules, and I'm voting for IL2-Pacific Fighters. Being a flightsim-head, I cannot resist the carrier action, kamikaze attacks, naval battles, dogfights, ground pounding, and excellent graphics. And the game frequently gets update patches with new planes and graphical treats. Just love it!

Crandaeolon
01-07-2005, 07:46
I think I'll have to go with Half-Life 2. Can't agree with the distribution model, though.

Redleg
01-07-2005, 19:49
So far I have enjoyed playing Star Wars; Jedi Knights II: The Sith Lords on my Xbox - great graphic and a decent story line to follow in developing your character - plus it give you choices to either be for good or evil.

Getting ready to start playing Call of Duty: Finest Hour - but haven't played it yer.

Rome is okay in single player - a little disappointed in the AI - but overall its not to bad either. Better graphics and a more attention to planning and detail in the campaign portion of the game then any of the others. Overall an improvement on the campaign compared to the others. Multiplay however has been a disappointment to me.

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-07-2005, 20:08
Star Wars; Jedi Knights II: The Sith Lords

Do you mean Knights of the Old Republic 2?

Nelson
01-07-2005, 20:12
So far I have enjoyed playing Star Wars; Jedi Knights II:

That reminds me. I omitted Star Wars Battlefront from my list of 2004 favorites. I've had a great time with it online.

The_Emperor
01-08-2005, 00:10
When i first played MTW, I was hooked for over a year before I put it to rest...

RTW though doesn't have that same feel for me, its been months since release and already I have not been on it for at least 2 months straight.

Instead I find myself playing Vampire at the moment.

So I'll cast my vote for Vampire, despite its glitches and need for a patch. RTW is lacking, and MP was the biggest letdown (as were the historical battles that were forcing me to play as the losers... No fun)

Colovion
01-09-2005, 20:12
I don't know about this question. There have been so many wonderful games out this year. I've bought more games than I ever have this year - and tha'ts a good thing. I came off a time where I didn't really lilke gaming that much because I'd had an overload and it had kind of burned me out. This year was all I needed. Games that I bought like FarCry, HalfLife2, Rome: Total War and World or Warcraft have totally blown me away with the amount of awesome things these developers are capable of putting out there.

Komutan
01-09-2005, 21:25
Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War...

dessa14
01-10-2005, 03:07
i would have to say Crusader kings has the most potential to be the best strategy game made in the year.
i also think CA won't patch RTW like we want it, because look at the sales figures, they EAed the game and it sold like hotcakes.
i've almost given in on the Total War Series.
thanks,
dessa

Alrowan
01-10-2005, 13:08
Everquest 2

in the last months of the year i tihnk i played that more than any other game all year save CoD and VI

Colovion
01-10-2005, 18:55
Everquest 2

in the last months of the year i tihnk i played that more than any other game all year save CoD and VI

COming from someone who has talked to a number who were in your boat - you should check out World of Warcraft some day. ~:)

NagatsukaShumi
01-10-2005, 19:37
Got to be Football Manager 2005, once again SI take away hours of my life for 30 pounds, ah well, its all worth it.

Rome is a monster of a game, but its just not warlike sometimes anymore, once its patched back to a Total War level it will be good to play again, unless of coarse somebody MOD's it out in a nice big historical MOD.

ShadesPanther
01-10-2005, 22:49
I forgot about football manager. I guess I play it so much I forget about it.

ElmarkOFear
01-11-2005, 08:15
Alrow I hope you were better at Everquest 2 than CoD and VI! hehe :duel:

The pickings were very slim this year. Half-life2 and Doom were graphically intense, but did not add anyting earth-shattering to the genre.

RTW: Let's just say it was an MP dissappointment.

I am playing games which were made in previous years like: Combat Mission, Civ3, Neverwinter Nights, and Worms-3D (This is actually a very fun multiplayer game).
I also revisited Ghost Recon +add ons, RainbowSix 3 Raven Shield, Far Cry (Think this was made in 2003 wasn't it?), and one of my favorite games of all time (Sid Meier's Gettysburg!)

I am hopeful that Alexander: Tin Soldiers is a good game, and waiting on some TW-like knock-offs to usurp CA's throne. I am sure there will be a big focus on hybrid games such as TW, due to its apparent mass-market appeal. CA may have opened up a big can of worms, by drawing attention to itself with the gameplay changes made to RTW.

I have also heard that Morrowind 2 is coming out this year. Now that game was the most fun I have had in a realtim RPG in a very long time. The world was huge and you could play the game for years and not see/find everything.

ah_dut
01-11-2005, 21:02
For me...far cry was great, same with KotoR both of which are last years games...