PDA

View Full Version : A question for the battle vets

RJV
01-10-2005, 12:00
Hello all,

Just a question for you all. Using the Armenians for the first time, and I get into a battle with the Parthians. I have my general + bodyguards, a unit of cataphracts, plus 4 units of Horse Archers. The Parthians have 3 Horse Archers and 2 Cataphracts.

They send 3 HA to skirmish, so I counter with 2 of mine, then send the other 2 to skirmish with the cats. I find however that my HA skirmishing with theirs gets split, with one of mine chasing one of theirs off the field, and the other therefore being outnumbered 2 to 1.

I also find to my concern that my other HA get entangled with their cats ( not sure how they managed that), so I send in my cats and my general and engage in a frantic charge-withdraw-charge-withdraw clickfest.

The result is that I win, but I've lost all but 2 of my precious cats.

So my question - how would you veteran horse archer fans have handled this? Did I make any obvious tactical mistakes, or do I just need to learn to click a little bit faster...? (Flat-ish map, medium level)

Cheers,

Rob.

Darius
01-10-2005, 13:20
Well I guess you'll need to try more micro-management with your horse archers. While skirmish mode will keep your HA from being charged head on, it doesn't mean that it will lead them in the smartest, or even let alone safest, direction. As to HA vs HA, I'd have to suggest using Cantabarian circle, it helps keep your unit less vulnerable but it is at the expense of their stamina so keep an eye on that.

However when going against Cataphracts, its gonna take a lot of arrows to take them down, so you have to manage to keep your HA's out of harms way, while also keeping them from causing friendly fire. That doesn't mean you should NEVER commit your HA's to hand to hand combat. :duel: My rule of thumb though is that if the fight looks as though it cant be resolved in less than four or five seconds, then allow them to hang back and soften their targets more.

RJV
01-10-2005, 15:32
I think I hadn't fully appreciated just how long it would take for a pair of HAs to take out a pair of cataphracts. Bloody ages if there is no assistance.

I had thought of using one of my HAs as a sacrifice unit, allowing one of their cats to get hung up on it, then charging my own cats into their backs - as it happens it gave me the victory before I could try this, but any thoughts as to whether this would work (ok, it's a little desperate)??

For HA vs HA yes I suppose CC could have been a better option, but they were skirmishing away so quickly I didn't think it would work (having read the How To Use HA thread now, perhaps it might).

Cheers,

Rob.

KiOwA
01-10-2005, 15:42
I've also found that Horse Archers on Cantabrian Circle tend to skirmish better, partly because they are already in constant motion and therefore are quicker to respond to the skirmish auto-mode. If you don't mind bringing some slow infantry along, a couple of phalanxes of pikemen will do much to safeguard your HA flanks.

mfberg
01-10-2005, 17:15
Also remember to watch your HA near the edge of the field. Turn off skirmish and run them around their pursuers back to the middle of the battle so they don't get involved in melee at the edge. Then turn skirmish back on and get back to the rest of your battle. (Check the HA thread for pointers)

mfberg

Agravain of Orkney
01-10-2005, 18:04
Instead of splitting my HA up into two groups, I would have used all four of my HA to first defeat their three HA. Then I would use my HA to harass and tire their heavy cavs before using my own heavy cavs to finish them off.

Darius
01-10-2005, 18:29
Another thing is to use catabarian circle ONLY when facing MISSLE units, otherwise you run into a few problems. For one thing, your troops will simply exhaust themselves for no reason, if there is no incoming fire, youre only making them easier to catch by the enemies swift light cavalry forces. Also, when being charged while performing the circle, you'll likely find they have trouble making it away in time when going against cavalry, but its less of a problem against infantry, so be ready to move them manually.

As for the sacrificial HA, that is a very valid and actually probably one of the better moves. A good general knows who to preserve and who is expendable. If by allowing your HA's to take a few thumps from the cattas means your get to charge them from the rear and send them running off the map to rust in the desert, then all the better. The key is to try and not get too attatched to any army you may build. While it's ok to be proud of the achievements your "ultimate army" has accomplished, you shouldn't hesitate to commit them to a risky manuever if it means victory in the long run.

The Stranger
01-13-2005, 22:01
how do you get those quotes under your replies

Proletariat
01-13-2005, 22:26
how do you get those quotes under your replies

You'll see the option for this if you click on the link "User CP" in the upper left corner of this screen.