PDA

View Full Version : CTD and spyware

Oaty
01-26-2005, 23:36
I might of had 1 or 2 CTD's for the first 3 months and not 1 single corrupted file. 1 minor corruption where I chased an army into the ocean so I had to attack from a different direction.

Anyways recently RTW was crashing a lot and I noticed I had some spyware and 1 gig of it to tell you the truth. I guess spyware has really gotten malicious these days as I noticed I have another gig of storage unaccounted for and that's on top of the 1 gig it removed.

Anyways that might solve some of the peoples problems with CTD's as I was getting after the intro movie or in the game or it would'nt start up.

I'm not even going to bother looking for the other gig. I'll just format get a new firewall as mine is expired. and have a clean sweep.

Pericles
01-27-2005, 00:52
Before you format try using Ad-aware and Spybot.

In addition, clean out your "Temp" and "Temp Internet Files" folders completely.

I'll bet that should free up a bit of space :)

Red Harvest
01-27-2005, 05:44
In Win98, IE was always bad about "losing" files. IE is crash prone, even on XP (one of the few apps that would shut itself down at times in XP.) What happened in 98 was that it would "forget" about the temporary internet files it had made when it crashed. I could manually find them, but not delete them using normal "delete internet files" options. The stranded files are in c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5 This is a really hidden directory/file with more stuff hidden in it. The way to fix it was to reboot in DOS mode and delete the content.ie5 directory. It would be recreated (empty) on the following boot and IE would again start filling it up. I'm still running 98SE. It had been about 6 months since I last did this...I just cleared out 1.5 GB of crap this way on one machine, and about 700 MB on the other.

Don't forget running some Hijackthis.exe check. You might pick out the offending hijack pieces still lurking about.

All the authors of the browser hijacks should be drawn and quartered with their heads mounted on pikes as a warning to others. And no, I'm not joking in the least. Bringing back impalement for this actually seems rather fitting...

Oaty
01-27-2005, 09:01
All the authors of the browser hijacks should be drawn and quartered with their heads mounted on pikes as a warning to others. And no, I'm not joking in the least. Bringing back impalement for this actually seems rather fitting...

Well considering they used over 2 gigabytes of my 15 gig harddrive without my knowledge or consent I could sue for usage of my computer without paying rights of access. Also there was a program installed to stop me from seeing who was accessing my computer it would open it up but right away close again. This malware is not coming from a website my IP address is known and I closed down the backdoor earlier as the scmucks went to reinstall it again putting a nude chick on my web browser. I could also make them pay the cable company to reroute for a new IP address to regain my privacy. On top of that invasion rights of privacy

The unfortanate part is I can almost bet the company is not in the U.S. but if they are I will give it a shot

Theres other issues on top of all that and it includes taking medications at one point for physcosis(sp)

Unfortanately most of the evidence is deleted but since I know there point of entry all I have to so is open it ip again.

But my main point of this topic was for people with CTD's and not too knowledgable about possibly having spyware with no knowledge of it. As since I do'nt think I had a single CTD in the first 3 months and then I noticed my hardrive was doing a lot of writing in the past week and a half so I knew something was going on. Well partly my fault for not getting a new firewall and I uninstalled windows SP2 as it was causing problems. I'll just go for a clean sweep knowing nothings on my computer put windows in a good firewall and reinstall everything.

fret
01-27-2005, 10:15
I have another gig of storage unaccounted for

If your using XP, the most likely reason for that will be the windows pagefile, or it could be the hibernation file, or both.

Both these files are hidden system files that are located in the C: root. If you enable the display of hidden system files you will be able to see them i nthe diretory.

When XP is set up to hibernate, it reserves a space on your hard disk equivelant to your total amount of RAM, and when the PC hibernates it dumps the contents of your RAM into the hiberfil.sys file.

The windows pagefile cannot be deleted, but you can delete the hiberfile.sys if you dont requiree hibernation.