PDA

View Full Version : Documentation of files

Duke John
01-27-2005, 14:14
DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNLESS ADDING ENTRIES, DO NOT TEMPT ME INTO ISSUEING MY FIRST WARNING!

Data\

terrain\

aerial_map\

ground_types\

All the TGAs in this directory are used to texture the campaignmap. These textures are linked to the map_groundtypes.tga via descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt.
indicators\

highlight_square.tga.dds
move_arrow_1.tga.dds
move_arrow_2.tga.dds
move_arrow_3.tga.dds
path.tga.dds
region_borders_general.tga.dds
Not used.
region_borders_main_colour.tga.dds
Not used.
region_borders_primary.tga.dds
Used for the borderline between regions on the campaignmap. This is the broad part.
region_borders_secondary.tga.dds
Used for the borderline between regions on the campaignmap. This is the smaller part.
region_borders_secondary_colour.tga.dds
sea_route.tga.dds
Used to display a naval trading route on the campaignmap.

battlefield\
world_map\

Myrddraal
01-27-2005, 16:41
My comments are in red. I know that posting this as a new post may cause trouble with the layout, but we can always delete and move it around as we like later.

Data\
world\
maps\
base\
This folder contains the default files for campaign maps. The imperial campaign loads its campiaign map from here. For more detail on the file types see below.

campaign\
This folder contains the files used to generate the campaign map for all campaigns (inlcuding provincial campaigns). Each sub folder in this folder represents one campaign. The name of this folder is the same as the name tag for that campaign.

Each sub folder (with the exeption of imperial_campaign) should contain the following files: (in order of file type)[/i]
descr_disasters.txt
Contains a list of the possible disasters e.g. earthquakes and floods.
descr_events.txt
This contains a list of pre-defined events that happen in game.
descr_mercenaries.txt
This is where the availability of mercs in certain regions is determined. The pool is the overall area, the regions are the regions in this area, and the units are the units availiabe in the pool.
descr_regions.txt
In this file, the regions of campaign are declared. This also contains information like the name of the region, the name of the settlement, the default cultures, the RGB value used to define this region in map_regions.tga (see below), the resources available in that province, the triumph point value and the basic farm level.
descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
This contains a list of all the names of provinces and towns as they are declared in descr_regions.txt These aren’t the actual names as they will appear on the map, these are just references for the program.
descr_strat.txt
In this file, the factions, the start/end dates, the positions of 3D models on the campmap (e.g. wonders and resources), the allocation of settlements to factions, the allocation of buildings to settlments and the positions of armies and family members, the units in armies, the factions family tree, and diplomatic relationships are set.
descr_terrain.txt
This contains the info about the dimensions of the map. descr_disasters.txt
disasters.tga
Contains the locations on the map for the different disasters. This should be the same size as map_regions.tga, which should have the dimensions stated in terrain.txt
leader_pic_FACTION.tga
Where FACTION is the faction name. This is the portrait for the first leader of that faction.
Map_FACTION.tga
Where FACTION is the faction name. This is the image that appears when you select a faction to show what sections of the world it owns.
map_climates.tga
This is where ythe different climates for the world are allocated to the different areas of the map. The dimensions of this file should be twice the size of map_regions.tga + 1 pixel
map_FE.tga
Not used
map_features.tga
This is where the position of rivers volcanoes and cliffs are defined.
map_ground_types.tga
This is where you set the ground types for your campaign map (i.e. Fertile, desert etc). There are 14 different ground types defined using different RGB values.
map_heights.tga
This is where the 3D aspect of the campmap is determined.
map_regions.tga
This is where the regions are defined. Also in this file, the positions of cities and ports are defined.
map_roughness
map_trade_routes.tga
... Not used?
radar_map1.tga
This is the minimap for the campaign.
radar_map2.tga
This is the map shown during faction selection.
water_surface.tga
This file is used to determine the darkness/lightness of the sea texture on the campaign map
map.hgt
Not used
map.rmw
This file is generated by the game on opening and contains all the information for the map, generated using the above files. You should delete this file after editing any of the files. It will be regenerated when you run the game.

imperial_campaign\
This is the folder which refers to the imperial campaign. It does not contain all the standard files. The files which are missing are loaded from the base\ folder.

sons_of_mars\
This is the folder which refers to the prologue campaign. This file has all the standard files. See above.
This folder also contains additional files:
Bookmarked Camera Views Battle 1.txt
This file seems to contain the coords for bookmarks in the first battle, but I seem to remember they are also defined in the main script file. There are only 3 in this file which leads me to think it is obselete
bookmarks.rcb
custom_tiles_db.txt
editor_log.txt
Not used
Prologue_Campaign_Script.txt
This is a scripting file. It is defined at the bottom of descr_strat.txt and contains scripting commands. For more details, see the scripting thread link

custom_tiles\
map.wfc
I don't know what this does BUT, it is defined in the file custom_tiles_db.txt. I believe that it maybe for making a cutom battlefield for this tile. If so, then this would be very useful if we could only make our own maps. I certainly would use it for WoT... Prologue_Asculum\
This folder contains scripting files for the Battle of Asculum in the prologue.
bookmarks.rcb
descr_battle.txt
This file contians the battle set up for the battle of asculum I think this may by obsolete as well, I think this is all contained within the main script
descr_script.txt
Not used
description.txt
Not used
editor_log.txt
Not used
map.rbm
Historical_Asculum_37\
This folder appears to contain files for a historical battle version of Asculum but I think the entire thing is obselete
bookmarks.rcb
descr_battle.txt
This file contians the battle set up for the battle of asculum
descr_script.txt
This is a scripting file. It contains the scripting for the historical battle of Asculum. For more information see the scripting thread link
description.txt
Not used
editor_l
og.txt
Not used
map.rbm
... EDIT: I can see a problem here, this thread is going to be quite messy. Would it be possible in some way to have flash in a thread, so that you click on a folder to view its sub folders, like in explorer but you get coments

Duke John
01-27-2005, 17:07
Lets first discuss the layout, we can always delete these posts afterward.
Making new posts is no problem since it gets quite messy when editing a large post. You do have a point with the messy look overall. Perhaps we need start a wiki(sp?), a website based "encyclopedia". I have no idea wether you have to buy space or how long it is hosted (would be a shame if it gets removed).

Using Flash would make it too time-consuming to edit. We could ask Tosa for a subdomain and make a website. But that might be too ambitious since then you almost obliged to finish it.

Myrddraal
01-27-2005, 17:26
If hosting is a problem, I can host a site, so long as its not too big ~;)

I think the explorer type window is best. What I mean by a flash tree view is like this example:

http://ghostwire.com/go/463

But it appears you can download it for free from here (http://www.softforall.com/SoftwareDev/ComponentsLibraries/9Rays.Net_TreeView_for_ASP.NET08030092.htm)

Pic (http://www.softforall.com/SoftwareDev/ComponentsLibraries/9Rays.Net_TreeView_for_ASP.NET08030092_ScreenShot.htm)

What do you think?

Duke John
01-27-2005, 17:29
Looks good! Could you try it out? *crossesfingers*

Myrddraal
01-27-2005, 17:34
I will try it out, but not now. Must go....

Myrddraal
01-31-2005, 11:05
Follow the link to see the Directory Mapper:Directory Mapper (http://82.68.81.226/david/DirectoryMapper/)

Encaitar
02-01-2005, 01:14
Data\

loading_screen\

symbols\
Contains the faction symbols shown when loading between the menu and the campaign map. Filename format:

symbol128_FACTION.tga

Monkwarrior
02-26-2005, 10:21
Data\banners

contains the graphical files for the banners in the strategic map

symbolsX.tga.dds are files containing 4 symbols (enumerated from left to right)

symbols1.tga.dds julii, brutii, scipii, senate
symbols2.tga.dds macedon, egypt, seleucid, carthage
symbols3.tga.dds parthia, pontus, gauls, germans
symbols4.tga.dds britons, armenia, dacia, greek cities
symbols5.tga.dds numidia, scythia, spain, thrace
symbols6.tga.dds rebels (trident), egyptian rebels (beetle), greek rebels (sphinx), barbarian rebels
symbols7.tga.dds african rebels (hand, and elephant)
symbols8.tga.dds the same as symbols7

Caution: some of the symbols are only visible in the alpha channel.

Monkwarrior
02-26-2005, 11:24
Data\menu
Data\menu\textures

contain files used in the menu interface
I am not sure if all of them are used

Data\menu\symbols\FE_buttons_48

contains the symbols used to select the faction in campaigns, custom battles and multiplayer
Each faction has 4 files:
symbol48_FACTION.tga
symbol48_FACTION_grey.tga
symbol48_FACTION_roll.tga
symbol48_FACTION_select.tga
The first one is a "static" button. The other three simulate the intermittence when selecting the faction.

Data\menu\symbols\FE_buttons_24

contains small symbols used in custom battles and multiplayer
Each faction has again 4 files:
symbol24_FACTION.tga
symbol24_FACTION_grey.tga
symbol24_FACTION_roll.tga
symbol24_FACTION_select.tga
with the same use as the buttons_48.

Data\menu\symbols\FE_flags

contains the flags used to represent the teams in custom battles and multiplayer.
I am not sure if they are used, as different colors are included but only red flags appear in game (to the best of my knowledge).

Myrddraal
02-28-2005, 09:20
Thanks guys

Myrddraal
02-28-2005, 14:07
Updated to include banners and loading screen