PDA

View Full Version : possible new bug

Wishazu
01-30-2005, 15:07
hey there everyone, im hoping the title hasnt scared anyone etc. im hoping this bug is known about and is being addressed by the new patch. basically i was playing a 2v2 with one of my clanmates last night, we were on teamspeak so we were in direct communication. well half way through the battle we seemed to be giving different descriptions of what was going on, and ended up with 2 different results in this match. on my screen my clanmates army routed off the field 10 mins before i was completely overun and routed too. on his screen we drove all before us and destroyed the opposition. we even took screenshots etc. very wierd indeed.

CBR
01-30-2005, 15:30
Its the dreaded desync bug. The patch should have fixed all reasons for why battles desynced. But if a game does desync the players will now be informed about it.

A readme for the patch is available although it doesnt tell of all fixes https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=42771

CBR

Wishazu
01-31-2005, 04:08
ok this has happened twice again tonite. what the hell!!!!!!!!

SoxSexSax
01-31-2005, 15:29
Yeah I've seen this. It happened in MTW 1.00 as well, though it was fixed in the 1st patch.

Basically the Host sees a different battle to the rest of the players. It is a real bummer, to be sure. Yet another reason RTW isn't worth the plastic it came in...how a huge bug that was also in the 1st version of MTW got through testing absolutely beggars belief. Yet again, CA show a distinct lack of Quality Assurance, which is by far and away the most crucial process in game development. They can claim that they had limited time all they want...but this bug is FUNDAMENTAL, and it is shocking that it still plagues us TW players.

I made the mistake of taking a day off from America's Army to give Rome another go. Less than 2 hours in, I've already given up and gone back to AA. Having AGAIN watched the AI use my 6* general as reinforcements and then charge his unit right into the heart of the Gaul's spearline, I have lost taste for TW games. :furious3:

Puzz3D
01-31-2005, 20:51
I was very surprised at the number of problems with which RTW was released, but if you consider the complexity of the game it's a very ambitious undertaking. It does look like QA got the short end of the stick on the initial release of RTW. If CA put more into QA, the game would no doubt have fewer features. Even so, I would say more QA is called for next time around or else CA is going to have trouble maintaining sales on new releases. CA has always come through with good patches, and I think they will do the same for RTW.