PDA

View Full Version : Paradox

Ar7
02-05-2005, 21:11
I ain't sure if this is the right place to post such a question, but if it ain't then please move it to a better location.

I am sure many .ORG members know about Paradox games, I myself have only played Crusader Kings, but am looking forward to try another one. So maybe some of you that have played these games can tell me more about them, positive and negative sides, the timeperiod, maybe some special features. I am stuck and can't choose between EUII and HoI 2, Victoria to a lesser extent. Help me choose people ~:cheers:

Nikodemus
02-05-2005, 23:37
well, that depends on what you want too think is fun, if fun is having a monopoly on cars as usa by 1900 then Victoria will give most bang of the buck but if you think fun is fighting the german wolf back too berlin as Zukov then Hoi 2 is made for you.

if you want too change history then Europa Universalis 2 since its nothing quite like it when it comes too historical grand strategy empire building. you can as Peter the great begin the dismantle the swedish empire, you can as spain in 1500s begin colonizes the new world and try too invade England, you can fight of indipendce as the Netherlands but you should be ready for one thing:

Paradox games are not eye candy but they aren't made too be that, if you like history or want too learn more about it choose Europa Universalis 2. If you want too know more, just ask :bow:

ShadesPanther
02-05-2005, 23:46
Personally I love HOI and HOI2 But then I always found that era interesting (technologically and militarily). HOI is a truely great game and the community is great, There were some very great mods for HOI and some are continuing for HOI2 and new ones are starting too. (The Great War mod was excellent for HOI so with one version you could do ww2 and with a separate install play ww1 )

HOI 1 and 2 capture almost everything from that era. HOI even got banned in china because it portrayed china differently to how the government views it (Divided and not holding certain territories like Taiwan or Manchuria in 1936)

Ar7
02-06-2005, 10:20
Well you guys didn't help much ~D I had a hard choice between HoI2 and EUII and you made it even harder by saying that both games are very good. I guess I can try both, Paradox games ain't that expensive. Here goes my RTW playing, I hate times when I have a wide choice of games and limited time.

And yea I know that Paradox games don't offer any eyecandy, but that ain't a problem. I am looking for a deeper strategy game with more historical backround, my eyecandy limit is full for the moment with RTW.

SwordsMaster
02-06-2005, 15:14
Well, my personal favourite is Victoria: It is not as structured as HOI2 in the sense that you can actually build an empire, but not so free as EUII in the sense that events restrict you a little bit more.

an example: In my current game as Naples in EUII,

I own all italy, annexed byzantium and cyprus, have colonies in malasia and africa and own a few provinces in the baltic sea. Too much. I´ve reached a pint where the only thing I do is convert my subjects to my religion, and its only 1700. Victoria is much more challenging in this aspect.

HOI2 is a bit short IMHO.