PDA

View Full Version : how to force peace?

Sam Adams
02-11-2005, 10:53
when will the ai on vh typically accept a ceasefire? Do I have to kill the bulk of their army and take many of their cities? Right now I am pounding the crap out of the gauls but they wont accept a ceasefire... even with half their cities captured, alesia besieged, and roving armies killing as much of their forces as possible.

just wondering.

Chrissium Julius
02-11-2005, 11:47
I always find that you have to take at least half of the ai's settlements before they will accept a ceasefire. Thats just how it works for me though, so i'm not guaranteeing anything....

Siris
02-11-2005, 13:53
Peace? PEACE? PEACE?, who wants peace! Kill them all, massacre everyone of their cities, or if your in the more long-term cruelty, enslave their hides into your services.

I've found, that a supposed "cease fire", or your version of "peace", is broken by the AI the very next turn, so forget that, slaughter them all!

Just to show you my form of peace, the Egyptians offered an ceasefire with me, after they started the war, took one of my largest cities (31,000+ citizens), & I got the message stating "Your People of this Settlement Have Been Enslaved!", etc. So I went over with a army of 20,000 to their North Africa, took four of their cities, & massacred over 80,000 of them, but lost 6,000 men doing so (where do they get all of their dang stacks!). That's my form of making peace!

The Stranger
02-11-2005, 15:01
sometimes peace is neccesary if you have war on both fronts
but if Gaul is your only enemy eliminate them as quick as possible

aw89
02-11-2005, 15:20
The gaul asked me for peace yesterday, i needed gold so i asked for 5000 and "accept or we will attack". and guess what? they attacked me the same turn.... so i got 5000 and they didn't even get 1 turn of peace since they attacked me.... :biggrin:

_Aetius_
02-11-2005, 21:31
Since the patch AI factions seem more aware that without peace theyll be slaughtered so usually want peace, infact thanks to the patch protectorates have popped up left right and centre, infact Dacia on my current game has 2 protectorates the Brutii have 1 and i have 1. So self preservation is something the AI is clearly more aware of now.

Sam Adams
02-11-2005, 23:47
I could slaughter them all but I figured I try to give them a chance while I used my armies to go take the aegean ports.

oh well they refused. Alesia is about to have 10,000 heads nailed to its walls:P

BeeSting
02-12-2005, 00:46
It is close to impossible to have the AI sign a ceasefire on VH level, especially if you are its biggest neighbor. Even when they are hopelessly outnumbered and out of money they continue to fight. Don't get it. You offer peace out of total pity and for role-playing purposes but they insist on getting themselves wiped out. Isn't survival the No. 1 goal?

From my understanding of history, a decisive battle would cause the losers to be on their knees begging for their lives to be spared. Unable to have the loser pursue terms for peace kills my taste for this game. I would like to have the pleasure of Carthage, like in the third Punic war, on their knees begging for forgiveness for waging wars without my permission. But why should I as the stronger be compelled to have pity and answer to the audacious (or rather unthinking/unrealistic) AI terms?

Even with the patch, there are so many holes still. And I do not feel like I’m playing against anything near normal human behavior. The AI just fails to assess anything long term, and most importantly that they are going to die if they don’t make amends. I cannot have friends or foes, they are simply processes of nothingness, and you could neither love nor hate.

I think CA should take note of the diplomatic sophistication and realism of the following games:

Sid Meier's Civilization &
Europa Universalis

Lastly, the most annoying thing is not having the option to have a faction stop attacking one of your allies. This option alone would double the impact of this game to another level on the campaign map.