PDA

View Full Version : Naval command stars?

Jacque Schtrapp
02-11-2005, 23:18
I thought the patch was supposed to address navies not being assigend command stars after victories. I see tons of AI fleets with 1-4 star admirals, yet my principal navy, which has fought and won over fifty battles without ever losing, hasn't had a single star assigned yet. What gives? ~:confused:

hrvojej
02-12-2005, 05:24
Are you sure that the same admiral was in command all the time? How old is he? If you shuffle the ships around a lot, the admirals, like captains, get changed unless they have traits/retinue.

Red Harvest
02-12-2005, 05:37
I'm not sure how the admiral is being tracked in the game. You can check some individual traits of boat captains though. A bunch of mine have "sea sickness" for no apparent reason. This could be resulting in "negative command." I've been disbanding ones like that when they deplete rather than re-training. Try to cull out any losing admirals or ones with bad traits, they don't seem to get stars after that (at least it becomes much more difficult even if they win.)

Once your admiral gets a few wins and his boats have some chevrons, they get pretty tough, even on VH/VH. I am using small fleets as Carthage and only biremes so far, but I've been exerting some naval muscle recently to clear the waters for my Roman invasion. I now have two fleets of two and three boats with 3 and 4 stars respectively. It is nice to be able to actually fight meaningful naval campaigns. The Gauls, Romans, and Numidians have all been blockading my ports regularly, I ignored them for awhile but I finally had to take them on at sea, systematically hunting down and killing the small fleets far from their home ports.

Jacque Schtrapp
02-12-2005, 08:18
I'm not sure how the admiral is being tracked in the game. You can check some individual traits of boat captains though. A bunch of mine have "sea sickness" for no apparent reason. This could be resulting in "negative command." I've been disbanding ones like that when they deplete rather than re-training.

I haven't looked at that. I'll have to try paying more attention to traits. I'm not sure what else it could be. Every ship in the stack is extremely experienced. Thanks for the answers!
:bow:

breakfastsausages
02-12-2005, 10:30
In about 80 years of constant naval fighting I have yet to go above 2 stars on a fleet and I am fairly sure whatever stars I have were present when the ships were constructed at the start of the war.

Also it won't let me combine a ship with stars into another fleet with stars, the changelog gave me the impression that this would be fixed.

Dutch_guy
02-12-2005, 10:41
In about 80 years of constant naval fighting I have yet to go above 2 stars on a fleet and I am fairly sure whatever stars I have were present when the ships were constructed at the start of the war.

Also it won't let me combine a ship with stars into another fleet with stars, the changelog gave me the impression that this would be fixed.

have you installed the patch 1.2 ??
it's supposed to be fixed with the patch,as allot of other things

Bhruic
02-12-2005, 12:55
Remember, they changed the system so that if you have an overwhelming force taking on a minor one, you don't get stars. So if you've got a fleet of 12+ ships and you're attacking stacks with 3 or less ships, you won't get any stars for it.

Bh

hrvojej
02-12-2005, 15:08
Remember, they changed the system so that if you have an overwhelming force taking on a minor one, you don't get stars. So if you've got a fleet of 12+ ships and you're attacking stacks with 3 or less ships, you won't get any stars for it.

Bh
Excellent point, I completely forgot about that (in about a week that the patch is out :rolleyes: ). I believe the odds involved shouldn't get over 1:2.25 to qualify for the stars.

Quietus
02-12-2005, 17:39
That is weird (50 battles with no stars?). I have a fleet with 2 stars and it has only fought about 5-6 max battles. This is on VH/VH btw.

Remember, they changed the system so that if you have an overwhelming force taking on a minor one, you don't get stars. So if you've got a fleet of 12+ ships and you're attacking stacks with 3 or less ships, you won't get any stars for it. My technique is just to at least double the enemy ships for a win. Never encountered anything over 3 though. ~:)

Bhruic
02-12-2005, 17:53
That's why I refuse to play on VH for the campaign map. I don't mind unfair combat when I'm in control, but if I have to let the AI fight, why should I suffer penalties? Silly decision, imo.

Bh

Red Harvest
02-12-2005, 17:57
The "can't combine" fleets bug is maddening. Some times you can, sometimes you can't. It appears that CA separated admirals out sort of like family members, but doesn't really show them that way.