PDA

View Full Version : Revelation on movement...

Kraxis
02-16-2005, 23:19
Well to me at least... Got your attention, but stay it might be interesting.

Was plodding through the data files when I fell over the "descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers"... Nice I thought, lets see what it has for me.

Well I was anything but impressed. The mud and swamp doesn't give any speedinhibitment, while roads doesn't add to the speed. Naturally I have modded this. Now only grass_short and rock has the 1.0 speed.

Hopefully this will make the battles much more interesting, now that the terrain will actually have an impact on speed. Go for roads, leave mud and swamps.

But I wonder what the difference is between ice and snow. Ice is perhaps the ice on rivers?

Colovion
02-16-2005, 23:24
That was already known.

Strange, I thought you of all people would have known this - I mean I figured it out through TWC way back during the first release days.

SpencerH
02-17-2005, 02:02
Thats no revelation! I was brought here on false pretences! I want my money back! ~;)

Orvis Tertia
02-17-2005, 02:08
Well, I knew that there was no terrain effect on movement in the battle map, but I am surprised to see that the possibility for it was built in. I'd enjoy hearing how modding it affects gameplay. My assumption would be that it was built in but not used because it was determined to detract from gameplay in some way, but who knows?

And in case I sound like a noob, I am the first to admit that I know little about modding, nor do I pay much attention to modding threads. :bow:

Kraxis
02-17-2005, 02:28
Of course it is not anything new for the hardcore modder, or even a casual one... ~:cheers: But, seeing that this seemingly had not been mentioned outside the MOD area I thought it would be nice to let the general population know.

Orvis, you should not fear the effects as snow, dense forest and ice are already factored in as slower terrain. I just did it with more.
Sadly I began to over-mod my game without any backups and when I tried the game it crashed... So I was forced to uninstall and reinstall. So I have no effects as of yet. But I believe now that this is what has been used for the mods that slow down march and runspeeds.

hrvojej
02-17-2005, 05:36
But I believe now that this is what has been used for the mods that slow down march and runspeeds.

Really? If so, this would be great to know! I don't have time right now to test it, however, so it'll have to wait a bit.
Thanks for the info.

Byzantine Prince
02-17-2005, 05:48
This is good news Kraxis. Thanx, I'll try it. BTW, why did your game crash?

hrvojej
02-17-2005, 07:49
Yay, it works! I put all values to 0.1 and the units slowed down to crawl. Plus they also look funny moving like that with their fast animations. ~D It would have been great if we could do the same as in MTW, mod unit walking, running and charging speed instead, but this will have to do.
Btw, this will also make fatigue more of a problem due to longer walking times, which is another bonus. And make it possible for the units to throw their pila on time (though I think that archery should definitvely be toned down with this). Oh, and it didn't crash at all during my tests so far.

Thanks a bunch, Kraxis! Say, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find the battle morale modifiers, would you? ~;)

Kraxis
02-17-2005, 17:00
I think my games crashed because I began to mod in indian elephants instead og african ones for the eastern war eles (parthia and the seleucids), could also have something to do with officers and me tinkering with descriptions. The main problem though I fear is the bonus for terrain. I found a lot of unit that didn't have any bonus in areas I considered fair. Such as Scythians having a negative bonus in snow and so on.
Also I made some changes to which faction could have what units (Spain Long shields and Carthage archers).

I don't know what you exactly mean hrvojej (tell me did you just bang your hand on the keyboard when you came up with that name?). The individual morale can be modded in the export_descr_unit file, but do you mean like for firearrows and flanking and all that? No idea.

hrvojej
02-17-2005, 23:17
I don't know what you exactly mean hrvojej (tell me did you just bang your hand on the keyboard when you came up with that name?). The individual morale can be modded in the export_descr_unit file, but do you mean like for firearrows and flanking and all that? No idea.

Yea, I weas (semi-seriously) refering to things like morale penalty when being chaged by cavalry or flanked, etc. I know where to find the unit morale, but I'm beginning to think that it's not the general morale that causes mass routs, but rather that some penalties are too great. I didn't really think that this would be in a text file somewhere (although it would be great to have in future, please... ), but then again, I wasn't aware of the terrain modifiers either up until now, and the battle speed was something I really wanted to slow down. So, thanks once again, and I still have no crashes with it so far.

And the name is a version of a common (and IMO silly) Croatian name in fact. ~;)

Cheers,

hrvojej
02-19-2005, 05:00
I was wondering if someone can help me with something related to this, since this seems to be a well-know modding feature. I have decreased the movement speeds to the point of being much happier with the battles than in the vanilla RTW. However, the speed of the units walking inside the barbarian settlements is awfully slow, and I don't know which terrain is doing this. I left both roads at 1.0, and they seem to be walking on roads in the barbarian settlements, but this didn't fix it. They walk ok in the Roman settlements though. I also checked in the editor, but you cannot check (or change) the terrain within settlements. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kraxis
02-20-2005, 00:49
I don't think it is roads but rather beaten paths, meaning I think it is a rocksurface, so rock would be my guess.