PDA

View Full Version : General has heart attack mid battle.

lanky316
02-17-2005, 13:29
Last night perhaps my most bizarre moment happened, I was holding a bridge in battle with 4 units of hoplites at the front to prevent anyone breaking through. In the midst of the battle without anyone breaking through and no obvious signs of archers I get a message saying my general had fell in battle.

Does anyone know why this may have happened? I looked at the replay and still haven't seen anyone break through to him and there weren't any archers on site. My theory on it is that he was due to die before my next turn and this confused the game but I'm still clueless. ~:confused:

Ginger
02-17-2005, 15:17
If the unit was on the bridge or had part of the unit at the waters edge its possible he went for a swin and drowned. Seriously. The most dramatic instance ive seen was when a gaul army rushed acros a bridge and I hit them with experienced Principes. When they broke the army fell off and drowned en mass. Something like 3 survivors out of 500!!

~:eek:

Ive also seen units of horse half go on the bridge and half walk down the bank next to the bridge, walk into water and drown- damn pathfinding bugs! :furious3:

Ser Clegane
02-17-2005, 15:30
Ive also seen units of horse half go on the bridge and half walk down the bank next to the bridge, walk into water and drown- damn pathfinding bugs! :furious3:

Similar things happend to me on walls - my defending soldiers literally jumped of the wall to certain death when I ordered them to come down to join the battle there :help:

I looked at the replay

How did you do that ~:confused:

The Stranger
02-17-2005, 16:00
that should have been fixed in the patch (1.2 ofcourse)

i think he downloaded fraps isn't it

Proletariat
02-17-2005, 19:20
I looked at the replay and still haven't seen anyone break through to him and there weren't any archers on site.
:jawdrop: :jumping: 'splain, please!!

The Stranger
02-17-2005, 19:51
he probably downloaded fraps with wich you can record pieces of the battle

Oaty
02-17-2005, 23:26
Phalanxes can kill friendly units. So if he was near a phalanx unit of yours he died from friendly poking.

The most deadly can sometimes be charging the backs of a unit engaged against a phalanx. Nothing like a caption video seeing your general impaled against his own armies pikes. I do highly reccomend pulling cavalry back as soon as you see a rout occur or taking them out of phalanx. With phalanx disabled I've never taken friendly poking casualties.

Jeanne d'arc
02-17-2005, 23:44
I have experienced a similar event, i do not know the exact details but fact is my very old general stormed a group of infantry and died almost before he hit the mob.Could it be he died from a heartattack aswell??Makes sense in a way.

LordKhaine
02-18-2005, 00:58
One of my generals died in the middle of nowhere with no enemies to be seen. Though when I looked into it, it appeared that one of my scythed chariots units had gone beserk the moment I tried to move them. So yeah... since then I've always kept generals faaaaaaar away from elephants and scythed chariots.

Es Arkajae
02-18-2005, 02:53
Heart attacks?

Damn that would be funny were it true, imagine playing as the barbarian factions, you let off your warcry and the opposing general drops dead from fright~D

LordKhaine
02-18-2005, 03:12
"I think I'm having a cardiac arrest!" *falls down dead*

Would certainly add another tactic to the game.

Es Arkajae
02-18-2005, 03:20
Or he could even have it during the middle of the pre-battle speech.~D

"Now when I come before you and say 'this' is my kind of fi-urk-arghhhhh-ooohhhhhhh-ackkkkk-arghhhhh"

*Falls off his horse dead, stunned army stops cheering*

In the absolute silnece afterwards someone drops a pin, this startles the Eastern infantry who promptly run away.~D