PDA

View Full Version : desert tactics

patish
02-17-2005, 18:15
playing the brutii i had lots of fun destroying the greeks and macedonians and with 300k and good armies (after marius) i declared WAR ! on Egypt, our armies about the same size of 600 or so met near Tarsus, my army had 2 dogs, 3 legonary cavelry, 5 scorpions and the rest legonary cohort (with armor upgrade), the egyptians had desert axemen, desert horsemen and some nile spearmen, although my scorpions did anice job reducing their numbers, i was nearly defeated !, i guess it's due to the desert area.
what's agood roman army for adesert battle ?. :charge: ~:

:help:

The Stranger
02-17-2005, 18:21
how should i know, i never nearly loose a battle. in matter of fact i never loose.
i think it's not only the army but also if you were attacking or not and you tacticts and manouvres.

Oaty
02-17-2005, 23:48
Lowly armoured units will fatigue slower. Look for mercanaries with low armour rating. Since your in the marian reforms the light auxillia are lightly armoured and nimble. If they are short on cavalry you can harass them all day with the light auxillia if not you can have your cohorts hold the line in guard mode. Let the battle rage on until they are winded or tired. Then bring around your cavalry and roll up on them.

But your best off massing archers against Egyptians since they can wreak havoc on you with a missile heavy army. And wardogs are my #1 choice against chariots.