PDA

View Full Version : Dual river crossings they exist!!

Oaty
02-20-2005, 04:55
http://home.earthlink.net/~oaty/oatyswebsite/id12.html

Funny I never knew they existed (maybe they did'nt prepatch), but it seems that all rivers have 2 crossings and I just now found that out. I hope I'm not the only 1 because I never heard mention of it.

I was suspicous a few weeks back when I was defending the bridge and got sideswiped by cavalry in the flank completely by surprise and could have sworn they had no reenforcemnts.

Anyways those foolish blue painted barbarians slipped up and got caught standing in the middle of the river while I was trying to force my way across the bridge.

Oh and by the way watch out for chariots on bridges now, I was crossing and instead they pushed all the way back to my 6 deep column formation. It came dow to the triarii :duel: and my general with the trait .... starts screaming at monitor screen when chariots are within proximity....... started screaming like a girl ~D

well the screnshots should show it all, it appears you'll always have 2 fords if no roads or a bridge and a ford. The fords are hard to identify.

Wishazu
02-20-2005, 05:01
I allways thought there must be more crossings, thanks for pointing this out, i`ll keep my eyes open for em in future.

Proletariat
02-20-2005, 05:07
well the screnshots should show it all, it appears you'll always have 2 fords if no roads or a bridge and a ford. The fords are hard to identify.

That's really cool. Although I'm sure the first time I try it I'll end up flinging a wing of cavalry or an elephant unit to Davey Jones' locker.

:idea: :charge: :toilet: :fainting: :bigcry: :furious3:

tai4ji2x
02-20-2005, 06:10
wow, are you sure this is for EVERY bridge battle?

Red Harvest
02-20-2005, 06:30
Well, I've had river battles where there was only half a crossing...or perhaps a quarter. The AI couldn't cross at all, and I could only ford with cavalry where the bridge would have been. Infantry couldn't cross anywhere. I marched up and down looking for a way across.

Oaty
02-20-2005, 06:34
wow, are you sure this is for EVERY bridge battle?

I said it only seems, and that was my second bridge battle after this discovery.

As you notice in the screenshot the crossing is almost completely masked and blended in with the scenery. So I'm guessing a lot of people just like me overlooked any other possibilities because they saw that bridge and never thought anything about a possible ford.

So it has yet to be discovered if all of them have it but at least you can look out for it every bridge battle you have.

I think the patch reprogrammed the A.I. on river battles to not ignore that second crossing anymore and that's what caused me to notice it.

Kaldhore
02-20-2005, 11:51
Im sure its not ALL the bridges..but I'll look more closely.

By the way man get rid of those pesky green arrows !

Baiae
02-20-2005, 13:59
That explains a lot. I've been busy organising a bridge defence before when a couple of units of cavalry appear on my flank. I thought they must have been from any army I hadn't noticed on the strategic map.

Mikeus Caesar
02-20-2005, 14:42
By the way man get rid of those pesky green arrows !

That's not very hard. Just go to the RTW files, go to preferences.txt and change DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE to DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:TRUE and flabra cadabra, you're nasty green arrows are gone. It makes for a much nicer battlefield.

SpencerH
02-20-2005, 19:49
Its funny, but before I read this thread I hadnt seen a dual crossing (bridge and shallows). I had seen a no crossing (neither the AI or myself found a way across) once though. I'd have to say that the AI's performance with a dual crossing was worse than MTW. AI army #1 attacked bridge before AI army #2 (of equal strength) were on the map and they were slaughtered by my pikes on the bridge while flanked and obliterated by my cav who crossed via the shallows. AI army #2 met a similar but mirror fate. My only casualties to speak of were via the AI (roman) onagers and ballistae.

Baiae
02-20-2005, 22:01
I had seen a no crossing (neither the AI or myself found a way across) once though.

I got that once. The ford north of the Sea of Galilee. I parked an army on it once and the enemy attacked. On the battle map the river was far too wide to cross and both armies just stood on opposite sides of the map, well out of arrow range. I did try to order my cavalry across but it just wouldn't let me. I just had to wait for the battle timer to rum out.

Red Harvest
02-20-2005, 22:16
I got that once. The ford north of the Sea of Galilee. I parked an army on it once and the enemy attacked. On the battle map the river was far too wide to cross and both armies just stood on opposite sides of the map, well out of arrow range. I did try to order my cavalry across but it just wouldn't let me. I just had to wait for the battle timer to rum out.

I haven't had that map before. If you see it again, try forming your cav up into a very narrow column and march right up to where the bridge should be. That is how I successfully crossed the one at Carthago Nova. I had to get the formation just right before they were allowed to cross.

Kraxis
02-21-2005, 21:25
I can now confirm that many if not most have two crossings... Quite nice but at the same time a dual headache. I remember well how Owari was a pain in STW.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-21-2005, 22:48
Hmm. I had a bridge crossing battle where I noticed a shallow area downstream. Took some cav down and tried to cross it, but although it looked just like a regular shallows crossing, they wouldn't go across. So there are some that look like a second crossing, but really aren't. Weird. 1.2, no mods.

Kraxis
02-21-2005, 23:10
Can confirm that too... In my latest bridgebattle I found two crossings and promtly used both, when I had crossed with some units I looked back to get more units across and saw what looked like a new crossing (a third one) so I tried to use it becasue I had a units of camels waiting right at it. But no way... I had to take them to the crossing they were heading for.