PDA

View Full Version : SeaBridge for land armies: anyone seen this?

L`zard
02-21-2005, 08:00
Just noticed the ability in my rtr 5.1 campaign to move land-units across 3 fleet units from (Rhodes to Halicarnassus).

Haven't seen this since M:TW, anyone else seen any examples?

May or may not apply to vanilla versions/1.2 patch versions of the game, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if it 'floats', lol!

The pst concerning the 'hard to identify' river fords brought this to mind~

Sinner
02-21-2005, 10:58
Yeah, there's a couple I like to use...

A ship in Samarobriva's port can be used as a bridge between Britain and the continent without having to move from port, providing my Julii a nice and easy invasion route to go and whomp on those 'Woads'. ~:)

Rather more exposed, but still useful, is a bridge of 3 fleets I place at the port of Tarentum and the 2 squares eastward, giving me a route between Apulia and Epirus while also blocking foreign vessels from entering the Adriatic.

Kraxis
02-21-2005, 21:39
Hm... I think I have heard it somewhere before... Official source I think. Anyway I didn't consider it before, now I might. ~D

Quillan
02-21-2005, 23:41
It existed in Vanilla 1.1, and still exists in 1.2. I've used it as the Bruti going from the port by Tarentum across to Apollonia.

L`zard
02-22-2005, 01:14
For some reason I didn't expect to see anything like this. Possibly all the flak that used to exist in the forums over the ability to 'airmobile' units in M:tw.

Anyone have an example of a bridge longer than 3 tiles?

Darius
02-22-2005, 16:36
Looks like I'll be making a bridge from Britain to Armenia. Why? Cause thats how I roll son. They wont ever see this comin.

Bob the Insane
02-22-2005, 18:00
This land bridge thing, does it mean you can move troops directly from land mass A to land mass B without having to load and unload te army across the intervening ships manually??

Oaty
02-22-2005, 20:37
This land bridge thing, does it mean you can move troops directly from land mass A to land mass B without having to load and unload te army across the intervening ships manually??

I still have to do it manually but it at least shows you how much movement you have on both land massess. So before you move you at least know if you can reach your goal in 1 turn or not.

L`zard
02-23-2005, 01:36
Bob:

What I'm seeing is load onto the 1st ship, hit the army tab for that ship, grab 'em all, then move on down the bridge and off and away just as if the army had started on a 'plains' tile.

Need to find out how long the bridge lenth maximum is, effects of opposing ZOC, and try to figure out what the movement costs really are.

Wonder what the rationale is behind this 'feature', lol!

L`zard
02-23-2005, 04:03
Well, it appears that one can run an equite from garrison in Smyna over a chain of 7 fleet units and an island to the border of Peloponesis (west of Athens) in one march; ie: moved from Smyna overland to 1st fleet unit, loaded onto ship, tabbed unit, continued march across/by Chalsis (island of Euboaea owned by allied Macedonia), onto another fleet unit, ashore again in attica and on to the border where the unit ran out of movement points.

This is roads to ship, across ships to paved roads, to another ship to more paved road.

Looks like the movement cost is similar to just running on road/paved road.

Seems a little iffy to me, gentlemen/ladies! Looks like Darius might just be able to follow his inclinations. While not as bizzare as m:tw, this is still as close as one can get to going 'airmobile'.

Still need to test affects of ZOC's on bridge, but that has to wait for cooperation from the AI,eh? ~D

Darius
02-23-2005, 15:19
Sweet, Imma bust a pila up in some horsearcher @$$!!1!