PDA

View Full Version : Protectorate... again :/

RollingWave
02-21-2005, 15:41
Ok, i just finished my carthaginian campaign but i had some really strange run with protectrate.

I was able to enlist the British as my protectrate, at that time they had around 20 provinces!!! (while i only had a few more), but i was never able to enlist the Gaul/Spaniard/Numidian/Romans even though they were pounded to dust on every side by me and others factions, facing impossible odds and have all their ports blockaded etc.... while the British acturally had a very elite army striking into the Iberian (my weak side.. all the good troops were in Italy) seiging my city there. while i really had nothing on them and not even much of a naval presenses on the Atalantic...

When they accepted they also accepted it while refusing my previous offer that was the same but with much more goodies thrown in o_O. wtf.

Another thing, is it possible (or likely) that the protectrate will break itself from you? as in my previous campaign (Brutiies) i had Egypt willing to become my protectrate... if i give them back 10+provinces in Egypt and the mid east, i didnt take it but if they were unlikely to break away then maybe i should have if only to save the sim city nightmare.

The Stranger
02-21-2005, 16:26
no if you're the boss they cant. but you can if they're in charge

Stlaind
02-23-2005, 00:43
I've seen numidia (my protectorate) turn on me after I attacked one of their allies on MED campaigb diff. I would have thought they'd stick with their protector but...

Locklear
02-23-2005, 04:28
Yeah, I asked for a territory in exchange for another territory and a boatload of cash, and my protectorate said, "Oh, just for offering that, we don't need you protecting us anymore, bye-bye." I was shocked because I didn't think it was possible.

Es Arkajae
02-23-2005, 06:41
The problem half the time is still getting a protectorate.

I failed to get Egypt as a proetctorate in my game as the Seleucids, I smashed all their armies, sunk all but a few of their ships and had their last city (Petra) and last few troops bottled up and under siege.

I then offered them back all of Egypt, 30,000 denarri, and my extensive map information if they'd become my protectorate.

They refused each time, no haggling, no negotiation just outright refusal. Pontus on the other hand accepted after I took just two of their five cities. Its really bloody annoying too because I didn't want to have to look after Egypt and would have liked a buffer state down there.

m4rt14n
02-23-2005, 07:41
You need to whittle down their family members. Are you sure they only had 1-2 surviivin members (leader and heir) remaining?

I had Egypt as my protectorate a while ago as the brutii. Egypt is a pain to even get a ceasefire agreement anyway. Raze and burn!!!

RollingWave
02-23-2005, 12:40
Well i got the Germans as my protectorate in my gaul game this time... this time it seemed a bit more realistic as they accepted right after i smashed their full stack of spear warband + several women and axeman that was hanging around my capital... (huge victory with the X mark too.. i had less men but killed them all losing less than 100 attackign up hill too rofl)

But again the Romans never gave in dispite being pounded to dust with at least half a dozen X over the italian with all 4 Roman factions suffering catastrophec defeat in my hand... i think their are probably some particular match ups that will never give in (Romans giving in to Gaul for example)

RollingWave
02-23-2005, 15:46
Hmmm i got the Brutties as my protectrate now...

It would seem so far that factions are very unlikely to accept becomming a protectrate if they have no where else to go ... as you you are their only adversary, which might explain why those 1 province factions never seem to accept.. because u have them completely surronded...

Also repeated threat seem to work... you ask and threaten them a repeatedly every turn for several turn while keep making moves on them seem to up ur chances.

Also if they dont give u the freedom speech then they aer probably on the verge of accepting.

Quillan
02-23-2005, 16:21
So far, the only times I have been able to gain a Protectorate has been through the "Accept or we will attack" option. Germania accepted right off, while Brittania countered with a demand that I pay them 16k per turn for 3 turns and give them back three provinces I had taken. I refused. Everyone else I have tried has refused outright, but I never gave them the ultimatum either. The very next time I spoke with Germania via emissary, they broke it off.

Slaists
02-23-2005, 16:53
I've been able to sucker Pontus into becoming a protectorate after taking just a single province from them. As it turned out after: Pontus had more provinces at that point than me (they had taken all of Parthia, Armenia, and some Seleucid provinces)... I guess, the decision is very random in nature...

Besieger
02-23-2005, 17:21
But one thing really sux is that when u got a protectorate under u....ur tresury tends to be wiped off sooner than expected....

Instead during my campiagn now as the Cartaginian...i become protectorate to bruitti and the gauls and benefits from them.... ~:cheers: