PDA

View Full Version : Question about cavalry

Grand Duke Vytautas
02-21-2005, 21:54
Hello fellaz! ~D It seems to me that cavalry unit size is too big: for example Equites have about 50 men in a unit, while hastati 80 on large unit settings. Knowing about cavalry uber-abilities and charges, and historically that cavalry had greatly fewer men in a unit than infantry, in my opinion, the number of cavalry should be reduced at least twice. But how am I going to mod that? Plz help. Thanks very much in advance :bow:

KboT
02-21-2005, 22:25
I only play with "Normal" unit sizes. That being the "normal".

Kraxis
02-21-2005, 23:03
Hello fellaz! ~D It seems to me that cavalry unit size is too big: for example Equites have about 50 men in a unit, while hastati 80 on large unit settings. Knowing about cavalry uber-abilities and charges, and historically that cavalry had greatly fewer men in a unit than infantry, in my opinion, the number of cavalry should be reduced at least twice. But how am I going to mod that? Plz help. Thanks very much in advance :bow:
Go find the export_descr_units file in the Data folder.
Open it and look up all normal cavalry. They will have a number, 27, while infantry will normally have 40. See the relation? Well change the 27 to 20 and you will see that cavalry is now half the size of normal infantry.

Grand Duke Vytautas
02-22-2005, 07:40
Thanks Kraxis :bow: , the cavalry is really too powerful so I'm surely gonna lower its' unit size.

Svean
02-22-2005, 09:53
The problem with cavalry isn't that they are too powrfull but they should be much more expensive and/or harder to get (because of of lack of trained horses or something).
Cavalry even without much armor was a killing force even against well armoured hastai and principles. Romans wasn't using it that much not because they were a crap but because they PREFER heavy inflantary and were traineg in that. Even roman legates and tribunes wanted to win their glory on foot. And they weren't that good in commanding cavalry because there wasn't any cavalry tradition or tactics...

Look what did spanish cavalry under Hannibal's command...

The Stranger
02-22-2005, 10:24
use my mod SRTW. there cavalry is used how it has to be, like you can beat heavy infantry with medium/heavy cavalry in a frontal charge but then you won't have enough men to make another charge. so you have to be careful. and charging spearmen and esspecially pikemen isn't going to do you any good.