PDA

View Full Version : Getting archers to attack buildings

Simetrical
02-22-2005, 02:06
I've been trying, without luck, to get archers to be able to attack buildings, so as to set them on fire. This tactic was used more than once in history, or so I've been told. Anyway, I've established the following:

1) Siege engines whose primary projectiles (as opposed to flaming projectiles) deal more than zero damage (as opposed to damage_vs_units) in descr_projectile_new.txt can attack buildings.

2) Archers can't attack buildings even if arrows are set to deal more than zero damage in descr_projectile_new.txt, and even if the archers are set to siege_missile in export_descr_unit.txt.

3) descr_cursor_actions_battle.txt is outdated and probably unused, and descr_cursor_actions_battle_classic.txt doesn't seem to help.

4) Anything with the siege category in export_descr_unit.txt has to have an engine line, or the game won't start up.

As such, I darkly suspect that siege engines are the only things able to attack buildings. If anyone can come up with anything else, however, I'd be delighted to try.

-Simetrical

caesar44
02-23-2005, 09:32
are you sure about it ?
archers attacking stone buildings ? ~:confused:

Simetrical
02-24-2005, 01:19
They would do almost no damage, and only have the opportunity to set buildings alight. Thus, you couldn't knock down anything solely by shooting arrows at it. Obviously, non-flammable buildings couldn't be ignited, so they'd be entirely unaffected.

But this seems to be impossible. At least I can do it for scorpions.

-Simetrical