PDA

View Full Version : Phalanx v Normal formation

Kaldhore
02-25-2005, 11:07
Im pretty much new to the greeks, and being that they are mainly phalanx troops - I wondered what differences occur when you use normal formation and engage in melee.

For instance - their stats when they draw sword what happens to their attack and def stats? if anything.

When my flanks have been compromised - is it better to go normal formation?

Any extra info would be helpful.

The_Emperor
02-25-2005, 12:27
The Greeks fight worse when not in Phalanx. I do not know the exact stats, but combat wise they are less effective than in Phalanx.

Not really your men on the unit flank will fight with their swords if attacked up close anyway. But if your flanks are compromised chances are the unit will be in trouble no matter what... Still I feel that if the majority of the enemy are still in front of you, you should hold the phalanx and bring in other forces to deal with the flanking unit.

They can also reposition their spear points if you click on the offending unit. But I certainly think its always better to fight in Phalanx and to come out of it when you need to move quickly.

Khorak
02-25-2005, 12:30
Most units lose about 2 points of attck when they switch to swords in normal formation. What you see on the unit description is when they're in phalanx. That means a normal, unupgraded Hoplite unit only has an attack of I think 5 with his sword. Obviously, in some cases you'll suddenly find your kill rate dropping like a stone.

Spartans are of course an exception. Their attack remains the same regardless of formation, because they're double hard bastards.

aw89
02-25-2005, 12:37
turn off guard, that helps.