PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the Heavy Cavalry Charge

zelda12
02-25-2005, 18:48
Right I have played TW games for some period. I got RTW after waiting 8 months, from may/june of last year due to a crappy computer. When I got it I started my first Campaign as the Julii on Hard (Fool that I was.) I Got owned, so badly, my armies were destroyed by the Britons and their Chariots who had already taken out Germania and half of Gaul.

So I started a new Game on normal, once again as the Julii. I progressed quite easily, taking out the Cathaginians with an Impromptu attack on Carthage Thapsus and Lilybaeum, which cut them out of the game. I then secured the Alpine passes by taking the three cities there. Whilst I was doing this the Numidians ( I think, occupied North-west Africa anyway.) declared war. So I trounced them.

With them gone I set my sites on the Gaul’s who had been sending armies through the Alpine passes. I took Massila then struck up to Alesia and then curved round to the Pyrenees. The Britons attacked and I beat them by huddling my men in the corner of the map in a tight formation with archers behind.

Anyway, I then declare war on Spain and killed them with relative ease, although I have now got an unhealthy hate for the war dogs who seemed to constitute half of all Spain’s armies.

It was just after the Marian reforms, around 216B.C, when the Egyptians attacked. I sent in a post Marian army commanded by a family member with 4 stars. Outnumbered three to one they died like Romans assaulted by arrows from a distance and massacred by chariots when they broke formation.

I sued for peace. It was two years later when Nepte rebelled. So I started building up heavy cavalry to take a ride and kill them. Just as I had finished them the Egyptians attacked, again. At this stage Egypt owned most of the Middle East and all of Anatolia. They were powerful.

It was an absolute massacre; the army containing the cavalry, commanded by a family member was victorious.

http://img166.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img166&image=untitled5ig.jpg

The Heavy cavalry swept the enemies archers and non-spear infantry from the enemy sides with little casualties whilst my infantry closed with the enemy Phalanx. Then once the enemy Phalanx was pinned my cavalry swept in from the rear. Simple and very effective.

I then had a build up centred on this principle. 2 auxilia, 2 archer auxilia, 2 urban cohorts, and 13 heavy cavalry units not including the general. I prefer to use Praetorian cavalry but I'm not bothered.

I have gone through about 15,000 enemy troops now including at least 8 enemy family members. And I've only just taken Alexandria Memphis and Thebes. My losses have been minimal about 500 at most. My General who led my troops in the first battle now has the greatest traits I have ever seen. hero of Rome, excellent defender great strategist. When he goes into battle he goes with 9 stars whether attacking or defending.

I'll get a screenshot of a heroic victory using my general who is getting on a bit.

The Stranger
02-25-2005, 19:45
hahahaha those traits are nothing, i had the highest of victor trait, the highest good commander trait, the highest of defender trait, the blood-soaked trait, a wholee bunch of battle related ancilleries and much more, only by defending a bridge vs the romans over 35 years.

zelda12
02-25-2005, 20:00
Ok, heres my last battle outside the gates of Jerusalem.

http://img178.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img178&image=heroic5no.jpg

I took the city next turn.

The Stranger
02-25-2005, 20:13
the kills are relatively low, but you did faced overwhelming odds, so pretty impressive.
did you fought your man to silver chevrons or just trained them like that.

zelda12
02-25-2005, 20:15
Pure fighting, they've been on campagn for the better part of twenty years. I've lost count of the number of Egyptian armies I've trashed. I have to say that I've been going through their family members like nobodies buisness. ~D

The Stranger
02-25-2005, 20:19
i once had a 0 chevron army fought to the death (this means i used all over the map without retraining once, at the end i had seven 3 gold chevron units, of the 20 that started but they were the elite after that i retrained them once and added some new units under their protection starting the project again.

Vanya
02-26-2005, 00:52
GAH!

Vanya's Heavy Cavalry Doomsday Charge
===========================================

WARNING! Vanya sez... do not try this at home unless you are ready to send your neighbors straight to heck in the li'll basket that collected Marie Antoinette's head a few centuries ago...

PREPARATION

Feed your steeds amply. Make sure their bellies are full. Don't feed them horse food, feed them beans and milk. If it will give youz diarrhea from hell, then it will give the horse the same. THIS IS GOOD!

ORDER OF BATTLE

Send the full-bellied HC charging into the enemy. Before youz actually engage, turn and run away. RUN LIKE THE WIND. Sell it! Enemy will give chase! THIS IS GOOD! Then, let enemy close in, and when they are close, kick horse in nuts to make it lose sphincter control. The result will be your horses will shower the silly enemy pigdogs chasing youz with a fine mist of deadly shit! Youz can then circle around and pick off any survivors with ease. This is best done versus elite troops of the enemy that youz would otherwise have no hope of beating.

FOR BEST RESULTS

Combine the horse's "exhaust" with that from the rider too. Feed yourself a gallon of prune juice before you mount the saddle that morn prior to battle. Make sure to wear loose trousers youz can easily pull down. No belts, buddy! Youz wants to be able to moon and shoot while at a full gallop.

WHY IT WORKS

Liquefied shit is ejected from your arse as a contiguous stream. This liquid body then hits the air turbulence behind your arse, which smacks it around and, essentially, vaporizes it, thereby converting it from its original liquid state to a fine mist. This is the same principle that allows bathrooms on trains to implement a tube dropping straight from the toilet emptying onto the tracks.

It is best to avoid launching solid, massive projectiles, since if they have enough density, they will survive the turbulence intact. Though they will have the possibility to wreak havoc as projectiles, the probability of them striking a target is minimal. Plus, the true damage occurs when the shity vapor is inhaled by the unsuspecting enemy pigdogs or makes contact with their eyes or other mucuous membranes. Simply getting plastered by a rain of turds won't have the same impact despite its obvious high nastiness coefficient.

Have fun! Vanya watch news now to see who took His advice...

:duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel:

GAH!

zelda12
02-26-2005, 00:57
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: