PDA

View Full Version : My Problem with Cavalry

Titus Livius
02-27-2005, 20:02
I don't have to explain how crucial it is for troops to follow specific orders in battle. That being said, I wonder why CA made using cavalry so difficult.

It's happened more than once that I've wanted to use a cavalry charge to exploit a certain breach in the lines. But when I select my cavalry and tell them to attack that place, they invariably attack the nearest enemy. Sometimes that close enemy is fleeing light cavalry, which my cavalry has no hope of catching, and which will often lead my men into an ambush from re-formed or reinforcement infantry (I've lost more than one family member this way). So, I have to take my cav by it's little pinky and make them run toward a point of ground close to the enemy I want them to attack and then give them the order at the last second, all the while I should be keeping an eye on the rest of the battle.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any advice? :charge:

vs the world
02-27-2005, 23:27
I've been having this problem (about 30% of the time) since the patch. I thought maybe it was because of grouping units together but even individual units seem to have that same problem. From my recollection it has only been cav that is effected and predominantly it happens when there are fleeing enemy units nearby the unit you want to attack.

Lord Preston
02-28-2005, 02:22
i have that problem, i have also notaced archers doing the same thing, i wanted them to fire on cavalry but fired on infantry that were in the tsuedo (can't spell) which is pointless...

this needs fixing, the number of times i've told cav to hit some unit on the flank but they decide to rush headlong into a spearwall which makes me look stupid! :furious3:

Quietus
02-28-2005, 02:37
Cavalry gets dragged into other units when you clip them, so try to stay completely clear of the enemy you don't want to fight. This is for the open battlefied.

Inside cities, yeah, they completely go crazy. :dizzy2:

As for the archers, yes, they don't fire properly when ordered in groups (credit hoom for this), so order them one by one. Also turn off fire-at-will when ordering them.

Edit: Change the width of your cavalry (and other units for that matter) when moving them inside cities (at least that's what I do), so when they reform they won't clip the buildings and such.

One other solution for the cavalry on the open field is using the right-click-dragging (then ), instead of plain clicking on the ground.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-01-2005, 03:42
Historically cavalry were generally the elite and they knew it. Cavalry would often make reckless charges to prove their; braver, worth, honor, valor and to gain wealth. Few cavalry untis were immune to this. So far I have only had this problem with units such as Companions, I believe Cataphracts and other non-nobles obey much better. Try that out. Yes they have some problems getting dragged into fights but the non-noble cavalry are less inclined to get dragged in and I cannot remember the last time I had that happen to me.

Quietus
03-01-2005, 05:14
It happens with Equites, Roman Cavalry and even my Generals. I haven't tried the other cavalries though.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-01-2005, 18:47
I have no idea then, I will try to remember to watch for this during my battles and if I find I do have the same problem but have not noticed it I will tell you. I played a battle with more cavalry than my usual today, I used Praetorians, Armored General and Legionarry cavalry to back up my large infantry line and do not remember experiencing this....

I will test it, but just in case 1.2 fixes this do you have the patch?