PDA

View Full Version : Training Effects

Red Harvest
03-01-2005, 06:39
In another thread Kraxis and I discussed the training stat briefly. I have noticed in some testing that "trained" cav units with identical stats seem to outperform "untrained" units (untrained routed sooner.) However, I could not see such a difference when going to "highly_trained" and repeating the test with spear warband. I probably need to do some more digging...

However, I do have one thing to report that might be of value at this time. I noticed that "highly_trained" pila units are noticeably quicker on the draw than "untrained" units. I was testing Bull Warriors vs. Legionary Cohorts and found that in their normal "untrained" state the Bulls were always getting off their volley later than the cohorts, even when the Bulls switched to pila sooner. It seemed a little odd until I remembered the stat_mental. The apparent difference in watching the animation was noticeable shuffling around as they waited to all be in sync before raising and then again before throwing their missiles. (The class screw ups were taking too long to get in position.) I then made the Bulls "highly_trained" and they were able to get their volley off first vs. the "highly_trained" cohorts when they managed to switch to pila first.

The stated difference in training levels is "tidiness" of the formation (as it says in the file) and this is noticeable. Even with the same spacing, untrained units are looser.

There might be some other combat/movement effects. For instance, I suspect highly_trained will move through gates, across bridges, and through city streets more rapidly than untrained. They are also apt to be a bit quicker on responding to a charge order. Haven't tested all of these or other possibilities, but if anyone has noted anything, please add it to the thread. This might also help you in determining who to put on the ram, or onto towers, or for sapping.

hung41584
03-01-2005, 08:32
i think its because the untrained units don't get the formation bonus that the trained unit has. I've seen how dozens of times how I place a specific formation for my hestati and principes and tell them to run and somehow they overrun their target and have to backtrack to get into proper position. That little bit is probably what makes the difference between trained and untrained units. Also, that little bit of difference in throwing pila speed is what makes the difference in a battle. If a unit is getting charged and it manages to throw one volley at the enemy, it totally ruins their charge because of the empty spaces in the charging line and reduces the overall attack.