PDA

View Full Version : Bad ford? Good ford?

Azi Tohak
03-02-2005, 18:08
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, probably it has, but did not have any luck looking for fords.

Anyway, I was attacking Carthago Nova from the south (beseiging it) and I was sitting on the ford on that little river just to the south. The spaniards send a strong army to take me on, and the garrison has the 'victory or death' symbol so I am thrilled. Yeah! I can crush them in a blow!

Anyway, I get to the battle, set my Carthaginians up on the waters edge and wait for my lovely slingers to start massacring them as they slog through the water.

Hey, if I can cross it no problems during the campaign, then I can smack 'em!

Nope. We just sit there, nothing fun happening, until the entire battle runs out. I even tried to move back a bit from the edge. Since I do use time limit, I just waited them out. Not a bad win, I did not lose a man and I took the city, but...

Seems odd to me that I can't fight on a ford when I can fight on a bridge.

Anyone else see this?

Azi

Fridge
03-02-2005, 18:54
I've had battles where the enemy has walked up to the bridge, didn't fancy his chances, and turned tail and walked away. Maybe the same happened to you, except, as they were fighting to the death, they couldn't actually withdraw.

So they just sat there. And then all died anyway. Nice.

Lichgod
03-02-2005, 19:22
You can fight on fords, just like bridges but wider and takes longer to cross.

In this case, I bet the AI "logic" decided you were too strong to take on and went for the draw not factoring in the strategic situation.

Think what would have happen if it was not a siege. You are in enemy land and get a draw result. At best, they are knocked back with no loss. Or, you might be knocked back.

The Stranger
03-02-2005, 21:20
I've had battles where the enemy has walked up to the bridge, didn't fancy his chances, and turned tail and walked away. Maybe the same happened to you, except, as they were fighting to the death, they couldn't actually withdraw.

So they just sat there. And then all died anyway. Nice.

argh this is so annoying, they don't only do this on bridges but always when they aren't shure of winning and you are taking to much time to attack, or pounced the hell out of them with arrows (pre-patch atleast)

Red Harvest
03-02-2005, 21:55
The Carthago Nova ford is bugged. I could only cross where the bridge is supposed to be (when there are roads), and only with cav, and only if I lined them up just right.

Yes, that is right, it is a bug. Bug. Bug. Bug. CA's MikeB can call it a modding problem or some special feature, or blame it on some alignment of the planets. But it is a bug.