PDA

View Full Version : Messed up armor and attack levels

Byzantine Prince
03-02-2005, 18:23
I was getting really pissed off with some simmingly weak units virtually destroying some of my seemingly best units. It's ridiculous once you really look at their attack and armor ratings. Look at Desert Axemen for example, they have 11 armor! Now look at them in the game. They are wearing almost nothing!

Anothing is the Iberian Infantry have an armor of 2 while the Hastati who have the same armor have something like 4 or 6, I can't remember. That is bs! Why doesn't CA fix this already?

So if other people have other such peevs post them here.

If you want to fix them, then go to Data/export_descr_unit.txt and follow the manual to fix them.

BeeSting
03-02-2005, 18:34
You weren't supposed to notice that. :laugh4:

Or at least they didn't think you to be sophisticated enough to make such comparisons.

Khorak
03-02-2005, 18:50
The barechested Germans tend to hide a couple points of armour about their person as well. Presumably under all the hair Roman generals complain about.

Byzantine Prince
03-02-2005, 19:41
Oh man, that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's enormous problem all over. I'll give some more examples. General's bodyguard have no shield armor. Armoured elephants have no armor. Their hide armor is raised a little, but there's no actual armor!

Quillan
03-02-2005, 19:43
Are you running patch 1.2? I thought the armor rating on the desert tanks got reduced a bit. I thought it went from an 11 down to a 6 or so, which is still too high for the picture and model, but better. I haven't looked at that entry since I installed the patch, though. Sometimes I think CA used the wrong model for them. You know the model used to represent the Egyptian armies when led by a captain instead of a general? That would seem more appropriate for the stats listed, instead of this barechested guy wearing a skirt.

Red Harvest
03-02-2005, 20:47
In 1.2 the Desert Axemen are at 5 armour. The original rating probably represented ones using the same armour as pharaoh's guards or something like that. There are plenty of examples of strange armour and shield stats.

The Stranger
03-02-2005, 21:03
Oh don't let me get started about this one, but i can give you a tip, use my LAYOUT
here it is.

no armour = 0 (can't you think of this yourself)
leather armour = 3 (like rebel warbands)
light metal armour = 5 (like hastati)
linnen armour = 6 (like hoplites)
chainmail = 7 (like that of the chosen swordsmen)
chain mail and plate armour = 9 (like those of the scythian nobles)
plate armour = 11 (like that of the armoured hoplites)
lorica segmenta = 12 (like that of the legionares)
lorica segmenta and plate armour = 13-14 (like praetorian cohorts
fully armoured = 18 (like cataphracts)

parrrrk
03-03-2005, 01:53
What do you expect?
The Spartan hoplite's new skin, CA made them have naked torso!!
That's why I don't use the new skin although it's a lot better than original red carpets.

The Stranger
03-04-2005, 16:38
use my layout

Magraev
03-05-2005, 00:39
Well at least the desert axemen went from 11 to 5 armor with the latest patch... Why didn't they reduce them all the way I wonder ~:confused:

Kraxis
03-05-2005, 01:06
Well at least the desert axemen went from 11 to 5 armor with the latest patch... Why didn't they reduce them all the way I wonder ~:confused:
Because they would be too weak to be a serious high-tech unit. And given that it appears that defensive ability is directional that wasn't really an option. Of course I cared not and changed them. ~:cool:

BeeSting
03-05-2005, 01:14
Because they would be too weak to be a serious high-tech unit. And given that it appears that defensive ability is directional that wasn't really an option. Of course I cared not and changed them. ~:cool:

i see.... there was little coordination between the graphic peeps and the game balancing peeps.

Kraxis
03-05-2005, 01:40
i see.... there was little coordination between the graphic peeps and the game balancing peeps.
Yes, that is obvious from the description of the unit. In the normal one they are said to have AP (they have not) and in the Custom Battle version they mentioned to be heavily armoured (which they are but can't be graphically).
To me there has either been a change in the attitude towards them or someone forgot to coordinate the efforts.

The Stranger
03-05-2005, 14:48
a lot of skins don't combine with the stats, esspecially the barbarian skins