PDA

View Full Version : fit and fade anyone?

brutii_warrior
03-03-2005, 19:44
how many of you use the hit and fade tack. with your cav. or any thing else for that matter.

when doing hit and fades with cav i find that it is more effective when in the wedge formation.

(hit and fades only work if you get to your enemy with cav. first and a long way away from your troops. or when you have very, very little agianst a lot)

Claudius Maniacus Sextus
03-03-2005, 19:50
i abstain from attacking,i mainly lure the enemy to attack me.(you know what i mean)so i realy dont use this tactic. :duel:
but what about the hittite tactic?mass chariots then some infantry too clean up the remains. ~D
you made me curious....how exactly those this hit and fade attack works. ~:confused:

sorry i dont really am an english expert. :embarassed:

brutii_warrior
03-03-2005, 20:01
well when i do the hit and fades i only do them on light infantry. heavy infantry will hold your cav. and then you'll lose cav.

but on light infantry it is very effective. you RUN your cav. in on a wedge kill about 10-20 troops then have your cav. run away.
once they are away quickly bring them back for more. keep doing this and you should kill a lot of infantry and lose very little cav.

this is an advantage when the full scale battle starts becouse your men will not be shaken by the enemies numbers.

chariots can counter this type of attack very easily. so if the enemy has chariots think of a different attack plan becouse trying a hit and fade at that time would be devistating to your armies moral, numbers, and you would most likely use your gen. when doing this attack so you may lose him to.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-04-2005, 03:48
Try a group of Companiosn versus Urbans it always works for me....

My favorite tactic is to hit with a group of Companions and Cataphracts and then have the Companions fade back while the Cataphracts engage in melee and then if they cannot flank due to time constraints you just charge the front again, works against any unit that can be fielded by any faction. From Urbans to Praetorian Cavalry, and against light infantry they never hold the first charge....

Sas_Legion
03-04-2005, 04:45
this is my first real post in the org ... so experts pls don't anger if I am mistake ~:)
about cavalary charge ( hit & run) is best used vs light inf. even from the front but the heveir ones try the reare , they can turn and fights u even from there flanks .. I have just hit chosen swordmen from thier flank and shortly they say hi to my mates and my Cav. gone with wind :furious3: I couldn't pull them backe . I think the best way to use this tactike (sorry bad English :bow: ) from reare and with the whole charge between the armies and say bi bi for the enemy unit
one more thing is ranks of your cavalary , after reading the whole guide of RTW ( I am new for RTW and the TW series ) by froggy ... hi froggy thx .. I say the 3 ranks realy the best . 2 ranks when charge the first one fall from thier hoops to the ground but it is littile in the 3 ranks cavalary charge . :charge:
last thing is becarfule with the charge time . hit before the enemy unit engange your unit directly this will cause Kill+make thier attention to the raere and thier charge with your Inf. unit will be weak .
thx for reading ~D
:duel:

Arrowhead
03-04-2005, 18:26
Hi sas Legion and welcome to the .org :bow: . I see you like barb factions (I presume you do). BTW if you want to take on heavy infantry you can also hit them from the flank as well as the rear. It works almost as well and it sometimes takes too long to get behind them.

brutii_warrior
03-04-2005, 18:45
i have also found that when you charge in wedge formation your cav. slant left.
some people have a problem with this because them don't understand why they do this.

i know why! they slant left to take the corners off infantry formations. this will not make the infantry route though it will simple make the shaken and they will start to hack down your cav.(big time if they are heavy infantry)
the way to take care of this is simple
if you have infantry of your own make them charge in and fight then send in cav. second to make them route. then chase them with your cav.

if you don't have infantry you'll lose more men but it'll still work.(unless moral is very low/or/ archers are firing at your cav.(this will make them shaken))
charge your cav. in regular formation then just before you hit the enemy move them into wedge formation(the wedge will not fully form) as soon as they hit click behind the enemy infantry so your cav. will hack through the men fast and you can charge again(if the enemy have spears or anything like that, this will be much more difficult)

when ever using cav. agianst a large army use uniportant cav. to take out archers(they're a pain in the ass)

marching your gen. into battle with wedge formation is almost like a death wish for your gen. unless your really good or your marching them into light infanrty.
:duel:

Uesugi Kenshin
03-05-2005, 04:47
But only Captains can wedge.... I assume you meant Captains.

I like charging through enemy formations as well, but it does take a lot of cavalry to do it no matter how good they are. I have tried to minimize the losses to my elite heavy cavalry corps by charging with as many as possible at once and trying to always charge into an infantry anvil unless charging other cavalry. I have found the best way to nuetralize cavalry is to wait until the AI takes the cavalry onto the flanks and then charge it with overwhelming force with your own cavalry. I have found this to be the quick and messy way to avoid flanking. Anyone else do something similar?

HarunTaiwan
03-08-2005, 07:44
Playing the Carthaginians I had two sides of forest hidden cav and charged them into a big Roman army from one side and then the other...they met in the middle.

I also waited until the tougher infantry was a bit ahead and kept charging away from them into the soft underbelly....war dogs, velites, archers.

Mmmmmm.

My infantry watched from the hill.

Brutus
03-08-2005, 13:38
With the Scipii I was too impatient to march infantry through North Africa from Carthage to Egypt, so I send large cavalry armies ahead (General, Equites/Roman Cavalry and some cavalry auxilia or Numidian Mercenaries).

A nice tactic (against bigger armies) I found is first luring some of the enemy army (preferably their cavalry, if they have some) away with your skirmish cavalry while the equites etc. attack seperate groups of infantry of archers. When you do this with 3 groups of cavalry at a time the infantry will follow one of your groups while the other 2 attack from behind. It takes quite a bit of manouvering but it worked quite well for me, considering the mediocre Roman cavalry...I've been scoring heroic victories all the time!

:charge: ~:cheers: :charge:

Mikeus Caesar
03-08-2005, 22:20
Hm.....i prefer to keep my cav in lines with this tactic. Put them in straight lines, about 4-5 deep. Having a line of cavalry suddenly push into you is quite effective and devestating to the enemy's moral. And when used against peasants, it's highly effective, making them route in about 2-5 seconds.

Uesugi Kenshin
03-09-2005, 03:37
I prefer to use mixed armies, because I love to watch large infantry melees and with proper cavalry tactics you can still win by a large margin.