PDA

View Full Version : where to recruit sarmatian calvary mercs?

myz
03-04-2005, 15:30
I only managed to find one unit of them so far, and forgot where I got them, can anyone tell me wehre and how many you can have? I am greeks, so need horses.

Quillan
03-04-2005, 15:33
In the provinces around the Black Sea.

Darius
03-04-2005, 15:33
You can get them in the steppes and in some parts of Asia Minor as well. So try hangin out in the lands of Scythia and Armenia mostly,thats where they pop up the most.

The Stranger
03-04-2005, 15:44
go to world, ...., campaign, imperial campaign and then desc export mercenaries. then look up sarmatians

Es Arkajae
03-04-2005, 16:25
When I play as the Greeks I like to take Campus Getae, why?

Well aside from other reasons because it is also possible to use a general unit to cross the river into Scythia (Steepes region), hire a unit of Sarmatians and then recross the river and go into Dacia (Central Europe region) and hire another one and return back to your own territory, all in the same turn. You don't even have to own either of those provinces as your guy won't be staying there.

It should still work in 1.2

Heres a list of the Mercenary pools they appear in (each pool can only have a max of 1 Sarmatian unit at a time) and which provinces these include.

Steppes Merc pool: Tribus Sakae, Tribus Alanni, Tribus Sarmatae, Maeotis, Scythia. Bosphorus

Central Europe Merc Pool: Regnum Marcomannii, Boihaemum, Tribus Iazyges, Dacia.

Armenian Pool: Colchis, Atropatene, Armenia, Pontus, Cappadocia.

Edit: Oh and the horse archers in the tactic I described above aren't too shabby either~D

myz
03-04-2005, 17:37
The horse mercs you can recruit around seleucia and arab really suck. they are so bad, rout and die off very fast. I now possess all of pontus, but only saw one sarmation around entire asia minor once in last 10 turns. What the?

Nelson
03-04-2005, 19:05
The AI will hire mercs too. If another power got them first it will take a while for more to appear.