PDA

View Full Version : Ancillaries and Character Traits

Andreas
03-05-2005, 15:13
We need a set of wot themed ancillaries(the retainers your family members can get...), and here we would like suggestions for these. They do not have to be mentioned, but let them be likely to exist in wot. Give a name, who could have them, and what bonus(negative or positive) they grant.

So, as you may see all the traits are gone. This is done to make you forget them until release. Don't worry they are stored. All new submits will be deleted. - Andreas, 29'th of August

Myrddraal
03-05-2005, 21:00
Note: Andreas, I edited the title to include V+Vs.

Andreas
03-05-2005, 22:24
I thought about doing that too:)

soibean
03-06-2005, 04:38
Ancilleries For All "Good" Factions

Khan48
03-06-2005, 07:49
Gone

Myrddraal
03-06-2005, 09:42
Gone

Orb
03-06-2005, 13:50
Ta'veren should have a negative effect on personal security. In the books they create random events that cannot be foreseen

Myrddraal
03-06-2005, 15:41
Yes but an equal number of those random events work in their favour.

Andreas
03-06-2005, 16:58
Shouldn't that end in no bonus in security? Two equal numbers turns out zero if you - (couldn't find the word :embarassed: ) ~:)

Black_Draen
03-06-2005, 17:37
Myrddraal: Maybe we should edit in all accepted suggestions in the first post? Also, can we make new VnVs or do we have to do VnVs that represent an old one - with changed name and so?

Andreas
03-06-2005, 18:49
If we edit them in, let it be some time, say we do it every time there's a new page. Easier that way...

soibean
03-06-2005, 21:56
thought of another VnV

Andreas
03-06-2005, 22:04
I think you can do it so it can't occur if you have a Aes Sedai in your retunie, but I'm not 100%.

soibean
03-08-2005, 04:14
quite a few more

soibean
03-09-2005, 02:21
Im back

Andreas
03-09-2005, 09:14
Thanks, soibean. Your help is appr. Maybe a credits mentioning for you:P

Anyway, I think that we should try to draw down a bit in stuff gaining influence, right now almost everything gives you influence, which isn't very good. If we continue like this, all family memebers will have full influence ~;)

soibean
03-09-2005, 22:15
hah yea I know I just thought they'd be suitable for influence but feel free to alter then however you wish

and with or without credit Im just glad to help you guys out because Im a huge fan of the series, right now Im trying to look up some Seachan Ranks for you guys so I'll get back to you there

Andreas
03-10-2005, 08:58
That sounds great, we need for aiel to but I mght be able do some of them me self.

Khan48
03-10-2005, 20:33
Are you going to keep some of the ancillaries from rome such as the merc captain, various turncoats, jewelers, tax farmers ect.? Some of them would still apply to this mod as well. Same deal w/ some of the traits like adept commander etc.

Myrddraal
03-10-2005, 20:44
If I can say, don't go with too many Saldean ancilliaries, we need some from other nations ~;)

soibean
03-10-2005, 21:44
With the apparent dislike between noble and peasants in most countries, why not make a Vnv that is like "dislikes farming/hates farming" but use it for the nobles and how they treat their cities? I say this because I couldnt think of a proper name for it, but I think it would make sense since most of the upper class seem to ignore/hate the lower classes for being what they are... maybe could be gained by large squalor/very high taxes?

Andreas
03-10-2005, 21:59
Yes, I have tohught of that too. I will alos post one VnV for each faction, granted for the faction leader, which is basicly the titles they have in wot (defender of the dragonwall and so on).

For seanchan, we also have all captain of the green, blue, gold and so on.

Myrddraal
03-10-2005, 22:18
But I think that the leader of Amadicia should be the King, the Lord Captain Commander should be a family member...

soibean
03-10-2005, 22:24
you have all of those huh... hah I thought I was being clever too, ok I'll get back to you with some more then

Andreas
03-10-2005, 22:25
I meant the other ranks, the King is the King.. maybe we could have the hire as Lord Captain Commander?

No, I hadn't thought of the seanchan ones, I remembered it when I saw yours:) And I like the way of the leaf trait, but health shoudn't be lowered, since they are ready take a wound. Maybe influence, considering the biew on all following that way.

soibean
03-10-2005, 22:55
what other work do you have done on traits and retinue that you havent shown here? you mentioned the Seachan and it seems that you have something for amadicia as well

could you update the list or just send me the info so I dont keep repeating ideas you guys already had?

by the way, you could add Gai shan to the aiel retinue, but I dont know what bonuses you'd get for that.
Maybe influence bonus for following clan and sept law?

Myrddraal
03-11-2005, 09:19
All the work that we've done on traits and retinue is posted here. Basically Andreas was just elaborating on your idea, we haven't worked anything out for the Seanchan apart from what you posted.

Gaishin (sp?) maybe they could add influence because if you have a lot of gaishin then you have gained much ji.

Andreas
03-11-2005, 09:54
It is as Myrddraal said, I just got ideas from your ideas, so keep 'em coming. I will update the first post in like three hours.

But that, Myrddraal only counts among aiel... maybe moral then?

And for aiel, we could have a former [insert soceity] traits, gaining different bonuses.

soibean
03-11-2005, 22:08
the different societies are a good idea
I'd say influence over morale... I dont see why a town or your troops would be happier if they saw a gaishan. Unless they're glad to see some one following clan and sept law?

and sorry about the mistunderstanding then, I'll get back to you with more ideas

Andreas
03-11-2005, 22:43
Thats cool ideas, they're reflecting the serie pretty much. But about influence, the influncec is towards other nations, and can't see why they would be impressed, rather then your troops, respecting gained ji, which gai.shains reflect... Maybe plus in public order too, to reflect this honor.

soibean
03-11-2005, 23:35
influence because....
well besides the fact that you're following clan law I couldnt say why...
I guess morale would make a better effect here and I cant really think of any other effects to give that

Andreas
03-12-2005, 10:26
No, I agree it's hard to find something that really fits... Anway, here's some traits and anc, tell me if you find something to be chnaged... And please tell me what I should make of the different military ranks. Also, tell me if I forgot any king.

Myrddraal
03-12-2005, 15:12
Good stuff

soibean
03-12-2005, 19:00
very nice
for the Domani maybe there could be the seductress trait
this could add to influence or whatever else you decide

Andreas
03-12-2005, 19:10
Yes, maybe not a bad idea. Construct it then:P

About that list, I just used that name page linked in the Names thread, and took titles from it:) Neat, indeed.

I will do the former aiel soceity tomorrow. I felt I needed a break from unit creation...

Andreas
03-13-2005, 13:19
Ok, one last massive post for the weekend. No I will go bakc to do units, but see this as a final present:P

Khan48
04-01-2005, 17:21
So are you guys going to keep any anc from rome right now? There are fitting ones such as various turncoats, jewelers, hereos etc. Same for some of the charachter traits?

Gurkhal
04-01-2005, 17:35
All the traits will probably not be replaced, think of all the extra work it would take :dizzy2: .

But some that are totaly strange to the Wheel of Time world, such as priests, magicans and such things will probably be altered. And replaced with more fitting, as well as throw in some of our own goodies that are good.

Myrddraal
04-01-2005, 17:42
We will be keeping all the ordinary traits, and maybe some ancilliaries, but anything specific to Rome, like Barbarian Turncoat, will of course be gotten rid of.

Khan48
04-01-2005, 21:54
I could sift through files and find ancillaries and traits that you might want to save. Do you want me to?

Myrddraal
04-02-2005, 10:42
Sure Khan, if your willing, that would be a great help..

Narayanese
04-02-2005, 21:21
trait suggestions:

Gurkhal
04-02-2005, 21:29
Looks good.

If you have anymore, please post them too ~:)

Andreas
04-03-2005, 22:26
Has read [that whitecloak propaganda book, forgot the name]

That you have read a book does not mean you agree... It coulkd even give a + effect against WC's, since you would know what they stand for and so on.

And it would be app. if you said what benefits you would have, since I have a lot to do. The name isn't the most important part, but what it give... and to who.

Khan48
04-04-2005, 01:30
Myrddral- whats is your email? Also do you want me to keep all the ancillaries trigger info on the document or do you want me to delete the unnecessary ones?

Myrddraal
04-04-2005, 19:31
Check out my new email: myrddraal@wot-tw.co.uk

It only redirects to my old one, but it looks cool ~;)

Do you mean delete the triggers for the ancilliaries to be deleted? You might as well delete them too. Thanks for this help Khan.

Narayanese
04-05-2005, 16:00
Gone

Gurkhal
04-05-2005, 20:23
I agree that Amadicia should not have a big possibility to get anti-Whitecloak traits. Even if it would be quite intressting to see a king of Amadice that hates Whitecloaks and wants to hunt down every last one of them ~D

And that still sitts on the throne...

Andreas
06-23-2005, 18:36
Welll we could make it a very low chance...

Just wanted to say that I have started slowly with this... I have no assignment ATM, so i do this... Just Got the grip of how to do it, did a list of different attributes and all that.

RedPanther1
06-27-2005, 20:56
Hm, I'm new to these forums but I love the idea of a mod for WoT. ~D
Thought I'd give you some of my ideas for traits. I took most of these from character traits in the books.

Mean (unless this is already used to mean they're stingy): Character likes to use others and keep them in their place.
+command
-happiness
-morale

Cruel: Character is known for beating servants and using unnecessary force.
++command
-happiness
--morale

Evil: Character has been known to sentence loyal servants to death to prove a point
+++command
--happiness
+morale (fear)

Depraved: Stories are told about this characters actions that make children afraid to sleep at night.
++++command
---happiness
+++morale (fear)

Hard: This character is ready to do whatever it takes to accomplish his/her goals.
++ command
-happiness
-morale
+law

Old Blood: "The Old Blood comes again"
++hit points
+command

Can't Kill a Woman: This character has difficulties in dealing out punishments to women even those who could potentially kill him.
-command
-law
+morale

Dirty Mouth(Uno, heh, gotta love that guy): "Bloody flaming son of a spavined GOAT!"
++command
-influence
-morale

Renly
06-27-2005, 21:08
Maybe think of a little more creative names. Instead of Mean, maybe Raging Lightening or something....

RedPanther1
06-27-2005, 23:00
Lol, well, I was just giving a general idea. I'm sure you guys could find better names that give the same effect. ~:)

Andreas
07-02-2005, 11:25
Hm, I'm new to these forums but I love the idea of a mod for WoT. ~D
Thought I'd give you some of my ideas for traits. I took most of these from character traits in the books.

I'm sorry to say this, but some of these aren't very good... you took the names but not the correct attributes for the name.... I will show you.

Mean (unless this is already used to mean they're stingy): Character likes to use others and keep them in their place.
+command
-happiness
-morale

To be mean do not mean that you are better at commanding... A person that is mean often has problems to imagine other position, and that means he is a bad commander. Also, morale do not have to be worse under a commander that's controlling. Someone says in the books "a liked commander is a bad commander" or something like that. A soldier shall have respect for the commander to be a good soldier.

Cruel: Character is known for beating servants and using unnecessary force.
++command
-happiness
--morale

Again, the same thing... why command? And even if he beats servants, the common soldier will not be affected by that.

Evil: Character has been known to sentence loyal servants to death to prove a point
+++command
--happiness
+morale (fear)

The same thing here, and when the one commanding you scares you, you do not perform good... You will hypocontric (do you say that in english? Afraid of almost everything anyway)

Depraved: Stories are told about this characters actions that make children afraid to sleep at night.
++++command
---happiness
+++morale (fear)

Same thing again...

Hard: This character is ready to do whatever it takes to accomplish his/her goals.
++ command
-happiness
-morale
+law

Again, hard means trust from soldier.

Old Blood: "The Old Blood comes again"
++hit points
+command

This one is pretty ok;)

Can't Kill a Woman: This character has difficulties in dealing out punishments to women even those who could potentially kill him.
-command
-law
+morale

Why command? And why morale. This is a goof trait, but not a war trait. Better making him fertile, -law + happiness.

Dirty Mouth(Uno, heh, gotta love that guy): "Bloody flaming son of a spavined GOAT!"
++command
-influence
-morale
Again, if you look at the shienarans they trust more in uno then in anyone else, kinda. To be harsh can be good.

Don't wanna scare you away, but I'm the one doing the traits and anc. and I have to explain why I will not add them in the form. I like it when you submit, but remember that: All traits don't have to do with battle.

RedPanther1
07-04-2005, 22:42
Heh, I can take criticism, but I did think about these before I posted them. The reason I used command for the whole evil series is because I figure the people under them will not be as prone to disobeying orders for fear of the general. Of course that doesn't have to affect command, it could just affect morale. To give an example, Jaichim Carridan being commanded by the Myrdraal to kill Rand, he does it to the best of his ability because he knows the Myrdraal is cruel enough to kill him in a very painful way. Another thing I was thinking about at the time was of Trollocs and how the only reason they fight effectively is because they are under the command of something more cruel than they are, be it a myrdraal, a Dreadlord, the Forsaken, or the Dark One himself. Maybe it could only give command when commanding Trollocs? I don't know. Anyway, of course you don't have to use these stats, but I think there should be traits by these names seeing as some of RJs bad guy characters truly are evil.

As for can't kill a woman, command in itself is probably a bad one now that I think of it, but it should affect command against Aiel (Far Dareis Mai) and Aes Sedai as the leader would be reluctant to kill them. I don't know why I put morale..... :dizzy2: .

The Shienarans might look up to Uno, but that would be command I think. Someone who constantly spits out harsh words would probably be a small detriment to morale, but it probably wouldn't be that big so it wouldn't have to be part of the trait. As for influence, I don't think most people besides soldiers would put up with that for long. Doing it in front of a ruler would lower his position in their eyes, you just don't go around spitting obscenities in front of kings.

Those are my arguments, but you are the person in charge of traits so it's up to you. Well, good luck, I hope you guys manage to finish this mod and I hope it doesn't die like so many do. I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

Andreas
07-05-2005, 17:23
You have mixed up things, IMO... If somethiing affect the soldiers in a good way, that means that the morale gets higher... Command is when they have a head for the battle it self, and that is a state of the persons mind, not the soldiers. You see what I mean?

and command against aiel, aes sedai and seanchan is a good idea, I will buy that;P But I will add fertility, if only just for a simple joke:)

And with the Uno trait, that same thing as with the evil traits... Uno boosts the soldiers morale, forcing them to do good stuff just to not have to hear the bad words... And I agreed on influence:)

And why goodbye? It is good to have someone who gives input... Mostly, the first version might not be perfect, but if reworked most stuff can be used:)

SMZ
07-09-2005, 04:54
EDIT: compiled into one list

SMZ
07-09-2005, 09:31
edited

Myrddraal
07-10-2005, 00:36
Windfinder should also give speed to the fleet.

I like those ideas SMZ, I really do. Thinking of Bela, I think a good ancillary would be something like:

SMZ
07-10-2005, 15:23
My opinion is that the five Seanchan ranks you have listed would work best as traits. Since your family members make up the Generals of a TW army, it would seem that it would fit better to say they obtained the rank than to say that they commanded a vassal who did. Also there are either unlimited or a great number of trait slots... ancillary slots are precious.

soibean
07-11-2005, 07:50
My god SMZ, not only did you go post crazy in this forum but this post... at first I thought it was Myrddraal going over all the ones we had already. It seems you really put a lot of work into all those, great work.

SMZ
07-11-2005, 08:30
:) wait until you see the next list...

I guess you could say I was somewhat excited by this project

Andreas
07-12-2005, 17:14
Well I do not have the time to read it all through right now, but I will do so later. Saw some that I do not agree with, some was good. I will be precise later:) You will hear from me. Remeber that we cannot have 20000 traits with channeling for example, we must have a variation not only of names but of descriptions, and if we have both Can Channel and Stilled, people might start to get fuzzy. We might be able to link it....

SMZ
07-12-2005, 17:34
GONE!

Andreas
07-12-2005, 17:39
Well since I'm currently the person to do the vnv and anc, could you please copy all your suggestions in one post? Would make it easier for me to look over them:)

SMZ
07-12-2005, 17:52
Well I do not have the time to read it all through right now, but I will do so later. Saw some that I do not agree with, some was good. I will be precise later:) You will hear from me. Remeber that we cannot have 20000 traits with channeling for example, we must have a variation not only of names but of descriptions, and if we have both Can Channel and Stilled, people might start to get fuzzy. We might be able to link it....

I'd be glad to hear any you don't think sound right so I can explain my reasoning or of any which won't fit in the mod's world right now because of the way it's designed. Right now I'm just throwing ideas out in the dark.

I hope I didn't overdue channeling traits... I thought I just included a line for the Light and a line for the Shadow... And I created custom descriptions for every trait I came up with.

But yeah, in the case of a trait like "Stilled" it would remove any weaving related trait and/or ancillaries. This is like the brainstorming phase to me. Once you guys think we have enough then we can see about grouping and cross-referencing them all so the triggers work correctly.

EDIT: They're in somewhat of an order now - I'll try to arrange them a bit more later.

Renly
07-13-2005, 05:36
Wow...nice job.

Geoffrey S
07-13-2005, 09:55
Looks like a good list. If there's one thing in particular I'd improve, it's the way some traits are along the lines of "he is a great man" whereas others are "you are a great man"; this could probably be more consistent.

SMZ
07-13-2005, 15:17
I doubtless made some errors in that but some of it was intentional. I tried to change descriptions based on perspective. Thus Shadow factions all refer to Shai'tan as the "Great Lord of the Dark" while others say "The Dark One" or some other appropriate moniker.

With the traits leading to being Naeb'lis I changed the words to "you are great" because I felt that if you were playing as the shadow then whatever family member had gained that much prominence would probably be the one the player identified with. I suppose there is always the issue of a player being a different faction and viewing his enemies and seeing the wrong tense being used, but those traits in particular are difficult to obtain and it's unlikely I think that the AI will gain them.

Dunno, if that makes sense or not, please let me know what you think - also I'm in the midst of organizing that list much better than it is now - so in a moment things should be much clearer...

EDIT: I went ahead and made the tense consistent, everything is organized now as well... one thing - I've still got lots of ideas to add - keep in mind that Rome has literally hundreds of traits and ancillaries and while I think a lot of them will carry over there's still plenty of room for things to make the world feel like the Wheel of Time world... so I'll be updating this list again in a bit, and I think I'll make the additions a new color so if you're just browsing you won't have to look thru 6 pages of text...

Andreas
07-14-2005, 17:21
UH, just one first point... we already have the faction symbols ready, and most banners too... had the BWB ones as a base.

SMZ
07-14-2005, 18:10
ahh - couldn't remember if I you guys had those or not - figured I'd throw it in since I came across it - I'm using, "The World of Robert Jordan's WoT" by Robert Jordan and "The WoT Roleplaying Game" source book which has his stamp of approval if not 100% sign-off, for my source material...

updated the above list with Aiel traits, other nations will follow...

SMZ
07-15-2005, 12:23
added Seanchan, beginning of Snakes & Foxes, Hates/Fears sections

I need to know if the Sea Folk will be available - if someone could tell me before I waste any time would be great :)

Andreas
07-16-2005, 10:05
Oh, bwbw is the same as the first book BUT remember that it isn't jordan that has written that book, it is some women, Theresa Patterson?, and all that is in it isn't true...

And we do not know yet, it will depend on the expansion, but currently no. And you will not be able to land on the senachan continent, seanchan will have tremalking, so some for example the crystal throne will not be inlcuded. I will look over your full list later today, post the results today or tomorrow.

SMZ
07-17-2005, 04:57
yeah, you're right - Theresa Patternson, although RJ's name is on the cover also so I assume he did more than just hand the rights to it over - prolly still some errors however...

thanks for quick response :) the list is now 98% complete of things I could think of... I'll prolly add a few more things to the "Finn" section, and maybe generally add a tidbit here or there to balance things or tie different ideas together... but no more whole sections being added

I don't know what you guys think of how I've written these up, but if you'd like I could update the descriptions of the ones you already have (I tried to link them in and not overlap)

basically - I've got time on my hands, so if there's anything else I can help with, let me know

Andreas
07-17-2005, 19:49
I'm sorry, but we've had a thunderstrom over here, so I haven't dared to use my computer. I will be able to do it soon I hope.

SMZ
07-22-2005, 07:30
~:handball:

Myrddraal
07-22-2005, 14:01
Great commitment SMZ, like you said, the more ideas we have to draw on, the better. Thanks a lot. :smile:

Andreas
07-23-2005, 15:47
Ok, I have don the first 934 lines now, i have like 1700 left, but I post this now. First, I just want to sat that many of your ideas are wonderful, but cannot be accomplished. I really liked your work. Give me some input on my comments. When I have done all I will make a full list without comments and different colors. My comments in red. Years will be filled in when I have time to look them up. Here we go:

SMZ
07-23-2005, 19:42
Thanks Andreas - I know that was a lot of work... you cleared a bunch of things up, let me just explain a couple choices:

Andreas
07-23-2005, 21:23
About the trading, I think it is different with anc. IIRC, the numbers is about that. I didn't mean it to be as lvl 5:) And it is Loial:P

SMZ
07-23-2005, 22:35
ahh - I'm going to try to remember the various notes you made so I don't include impossible things in any additional suggestions - also I fixed some things in the part of the list you haven't looked thru yet so hopefully it'll be easier for you

Andreas
07-24-2005, 02:06
It is said in the books that all the clan chiefs were at least equal with the best in the westlands... But i can lower it to the same stat:)

Andreas
07-27-2005, 19:36
Hoho today you will not get my comments on more of the SMZ-traits, but I'm soon through it... there are some things I consider deleting but I will have to think a bit more.... Anyway, today you get some traits I came up with during work today. Comment them if you want to, and I would be pleased if someone wrote some fitting descriptions for them, I have written comments to push you in the right direction on the ones I didn't think obvious:).

SMZ
07-28-2005, 01:44
Dopeness... you wan'na exchange email addy's Andreas? Might make work on this quicker and easier to change things. Plus I dunno if you want to show ALL of the traits and ancs to everyone... might be good to surprise people some. :)

Andreas
07-28-2005, 17:37
Well well now I'm soon through it all, just some 600 lines left. This batch hadn't the same quality through as the other, but most were good...

McFungos
07-28-2005, 20:29
Hi,

I am a newbie and i am very interested in this mod.

a small addition :

Steppe Merc
07-28-2005, 20:34
Shouldn't she be a character, instead?

McFungos
07-28-2005, 22:45
Based on the previously posted ancillary i think that Tuon must be a ancillary and a hard one to get.

Faile, Elayne, Aviendha and Min are all ancillary then why not Tuon Mat's predicted wife ?

She comes late in the story and she didn't have much actions yet and all of them related to Mat so ancillary is the best choice for her.

I am thinking about Daerid, Talmanes and Nalesean as ancillary for the commander of the Red Hand Band.

Steppe Merc
07-28-2005, 23:17
Oh. Well I'd have to disagree with most of those. Here's why:
Tuon - Future Emperess of Seanchan. Family member material.
Faile - Family member of Saladean Royalty
Elayne - Queen of Andor

On the other hand, Min and Aviendha are just girlfriends, really.

Myrddraal
07-29-2005, 00:26
Hey welcome to the .org McFungos, its good to see someone interested in the mod, it's your support that is this mods fuel :smile:

This applies to some of SMZ's ancilliaries, people like Davram Bashere etc will be family members and so not really ancilliaries. But otherwise most of these are good. Remeber that the majority should be general ancilliaries. Although one-off ancilliaries are good and add depth to the game, general ancilliaries and traits should be our main priority.

SMZ
07-29-2005, 01:14
I understand about the family members now, before I was just throwing things out in the dark. I didn't know if the mod team was going to be able to have female family members be dominant, and thus I listed Elayne, Faile, etc...

I talked to Andreas earlier, the list on the front page will probably be updated soon once I get done with descriptions and he gets done with checking things for accuracy to the books and game mechanics... tis a bit confusing now with lists bouncing back and forth :dizzy2:

McFungos
07-29-2005, 12:34
I understand about the family members now, before I was just throwing things out in the dark. I didn't know if the mod team was going to be able to have female family members be dominant, and thus I listed Elayne, Faile, etc...

I talked to Andreas earlier, the list on the front page will probably be updated soon once I get done with descriptions and he gets done with checking things for accuracy to the books and game mechanics... tis a bit confusing now with lists bouncing back and forth :dizzy2:

How's this sound McFungos?

Thanks SMZ.

Too bad that we can't deseable the retreat capacity of a unit with a trait
A general with a win or dead option would have been very fun to play.

SMZ
07-29-2005, 12:42
wait until Andreas posts to find out if that's possible - I'm no expert on game mechanics... although it does sound unlikely...

we could prolly make it so that if he withdraws from a battle he will lose that trait...

Andreas
07-29-2005, 15:31
Well, the troop morale is how likely they are to reteat so it is kinds the same. I will think about all points.

McFungos
07-29-2005, 18:45
Well, the troop morale is how likely they are to reteat so it is kinds the same. I will think about all points.

With a slight difference, a losing general can't sound the retreat.

But i guess that the solution proposed by SMZ is the best possible.

About Daerid, Talmanes and Nalesean they can be introduce as generals but it will require a trigger because they appear with the Band.
Possible trigger for the Band + commanders to appear, probably an unrealistic one :
- The Dragon control Caihrien + Tear
- Mat or general with Memories + Ta'veren
- Mat or a general have in stack 1 Caihrien Calvalry + 1 Tear Calvary + 1 infantry
- Spent 1 turn outside the city of Caihrien.

Benefits also unrealistc:
- You can build the Red Hand Band units
- Talmanes appear with 1 Red Hand cavalries
- Nalesean appear with 1 Red Hand cavalries
- Daerid appear with 3 Red Hand Infantries + 1 Red Hand Bowmen

Lose unrealistic again:
- Units stacked with Mat or the general lost

I really don't know if it can be done but i thinks that it is a good way to be as close as possible to the books.

A downgraded version

To build Red Hand Band units
trigger :

- Stables + Barracks in both cities

To have Daerid, Talmanes and Nalesean as ancillary
trigger

Andreas
07-30-2005, 09:00
Well, well now we shall see...

With a slight difference, a losing general can't sound the retreat.

But i guess that the solution proposed by SMZ is the best possible.

Well, you cannot have everything.

About Daerid, Talmanes and Nalesean they can be introduce as generals but it will require a trigger because they appear with the Band.
Possible trigger for the Band + commanders to appear, probably an unrealistic one :
- Mat or a general have in stack 1 Caihrien Calvalry + 1 Tear Calvary + 1 infantry

Benefits also unrealistc:
- You can build the Red Hand Band units
- Talmanes appear with 1 Red Hand cavalries
- Nalesean appear with 1 Red Hand cavalries
- Daerid appear with 3 Red Hand Infantries + 1 Red Hand Bowmen

Lose unrealistic again:
- Units stacked with Mat or the general lost

I really don't know if it can be done but i thinks that it is a good way to be as close as possible to the books.

A downgraded version

To build Red Hand Band units
trigger :

- Stables + Barracks in both cities

I think we will be able to train the Band immidetly on game start, since you will be able to train alot of other things from start(aiel for example). To have triggers where new generals appear isn't a good way in my eyes, it could turn the game... and there will be no Red Hand Archers. If have triggers for all different types of units PotD can ahve, there will be new units coming to him every turn, which wouldn't be ver balanced... (The game starts when the stone falls. Next turn, they get aiel. Turn after that more aiel and the band, turn after that the Dragon Legion, after that asha'man, after that some aes sedai and the sea folk, then Illian units and so on. You see my point? You would get new units every turn.)

To have Daerid, Talmanes and Nalesean as ancillary
trigger

Talmanes as a ancillary :
Lord Talmanes of House Delovinde
A Cairhienin nobleman who commands half the band's cavalry. His con is three yellow stars on blue. His banner is a black fox.

Effect: +2 Command
Effect: +2 Calvary Command
Effect: +1 troop morale

Daerid as a ancillary :
Daerid Ondin
This man has a broken nose and several scars on his face. He commands the Red Hand Band's foot soldiers.

Effect: +1 Command
Effect: +2 Infantry Command
Effect: +2 Bowmen Command
Effect: +1 Defence Command

Nalesean as a ancillary :
Lord Nalesean of House Aldiaya
A square-faced and blocky Tairen noble who commands half the cavalry of the Red Hand Band.

Effect: +1 Command
Effect: +1 Calvary Command
Effect: +1 Attack Command

I hope that my small contribution is usefull
This could eb a way, or we just have them as generals from the start, easier. We could force the PotD to take cairhien before they can build the band, but then they would only be able to build there.

SMZ
07-30-2005, 09:15
A solution I was thinking about for the various elite units would be to tie them to Temple-like Buildings. ie: Queen's Guard Barracks, or in this case, Band of the Red Hand Barracks. There could be different levels of this, etc and have other effects mayhaps. But it seemed a nice solution to me. :)

Andreas
07-30-2005, 10:54
There would be many temples... and I think that a high level barrack is enough, with areas included(Queens guard for example will only be trainable in andor).

RedPanther1
08-02-2005, 23:49
I have a Seanchan Ancillary I just though up after reading Crossroads of Twilight.

Kaensada So' Jhin: Coming from the barely civilized Kaensada Hill Tribes this mans strange morbid ways can intimidate most other Seanchan. He is, however, a slight detriment to troop morale due to his tendency to clean and roast rats in the common room of the inn.

+ influence
- morale

Also, I don't know if you have the Altaran ancillary "Pretty" but I believe that it's a common thing in Altara and should be implemented in some way.

aleh
08-15-2005, 12:41
Perhaps give 2 automatic to the King of Illian: Council of the Nine and Assemblage. The Assemblage would give +1(or 2) management, and +1 in sea trade(is that possible), and the one in the Council of the Nine would give -1 in management(always bickering), but perhaps +1 in Influence and/or +1 in Command. Or if it's possible, and I'm pretty sure it isn't, but in case it isn't, make 2 faction leaders for Illian, King/Council with the Assemblage as ancillary for each. :D

Perhaps give the King of Tarabon, 2 ancillaries. The Panarch +1 influence/+1 management, and the assembly of the lords +1 command/-1 management.

Also, Cairhien King should either have an automatic bonus trait in Daes Dae'mar or either an advisory who gives those bonuses.

The King of Kandor should have an ancillary drawn from the merchants of the nation, +1 management.

Also, the King of Ghealdan should have a miner ancillary, and Ghealdan should be -rich- for its mines.

I think that the -King- of Amadicia should have either -1 or -2 Influence because the Whitecloaks are basically running the country...But for that matter, why not just make the Lord-Captain Commander the ruler of Amadicia, technically the guy is.

Andreas
08-15-2005, 13:29
We have traits and anciallaries for the rulers already.... and not all cairhien are over-skilled in daes'dae'mar...

aleh
08-15-2005, 13:47
Also, for the Aiel ancillaries.

Since the Tain Shari are both expert fighters, but above all trained to ferret out the Darkfriends in their socities. Perhaps make them +1 command against shadow, and possibly +1 personal security(against assassins and all), and possibly +1 <trait that helps with 'actual' combat>

Perhaps either give the Far Dareis Mai either -1 or +1 fertility(can go either way, it's up to y'all)

What's LOS?

Night Spear should either add a bonus to ambushes(if it's possible), or perhaps something like that.

Perhaps make a wise one ancillary
+1/+2 Influence
+1 personal security
+1/+2/+3 morale
+1 command vs. Shadow.
+1/+2 Management
-----------------

Also, Demandred should -EASILY- have +4/5 Command, and also a +2/3 command if outnumbered, and also either a -1 management or a +1 management.
----------------------
What is Zara exactly, I've never heard of it, what part of the books is it in?
-----------------------
Why do Seanchan Blood get negative bodyguard valour, I would assume that with the Deathwatch Guard and the Sul'dam/dam'ane(the high ranked), this man would be nigh-on impossible to kill save by someone with the Taveren trait, and even then....
---------------------
For Illianer national traits. Something to do with sailors, something to do with merchanting, and something that says that he trained with the Companions? Perhaps?
-----------------------
The Library trait should be given to Domani as well, I seem to remember that they had a pretty good library from somewhere as well.
------------------------

Andreas
08-15-2005, 18:02
You should wait and see for what will be posted, every trait is currently redone...

LOS is Line of Sight.

Edit: Wise ones are diplomats... wasa, I will have to write a info post...

SMZ
08-15-2005, 19:01
sorry didn't see this - nice one Red Panther

aleh - the faction leaders and heirs are almost completely outlined - I think we'll make an info post about the way those are being handled soon - be nice to see what you think about the current ideas

good point about Demy getting a bonus when outnumbered - a number of those traits have been reworked however... remember at the time I was making suggestions not official postings

zara is a strategy game - it envolves using real ppl - my description was a bit off when I made it - I was thinking of a different ancient game - regardless that line of traits was in discussion for being cut...

as to the Seanchan Blood... if he has a Deathwatch Guard or Suldam anc then this will boost his security dramatically - just by himself however - those long fingernails get in the way...

I'll do the sailors and the Companions... why merchants tho? a note on the sailors too - they aren't that special - they think they are but they really don't know as much as they think they do

and yep at the Library - I found that out just a few weeks ago - the Terhana Library in Bandar Eban

:)

aleh
08-15-2005, 23:50
Hehe, thanks for all the answers, I'll wait for y'all posts until I flood the forum again with suggestions. As for why I think the Illianer(and Domani for that matter), should get some sort of Merchant trait, well it's because the merchants in that country are organized, numerous -and- powerful. Arad Doman has the Council of Merchants, and Illian has the Assemblage. I'd assume that any leader of those nations would have to be good in merchanting and whatnot less he/she piss off those powerful merchants. In the other nations, merchants are powerful and all, but it's the level of organization and popular support from the people that makes them important in Arad Doman and Illian.

And I have a question that's been in mind for a bit now. Now, will there be female family members/governors/nobles? Or is it impossible to code it as such in game mechanics? Perhaps give women a HP/combat negative value to dissuade people from using them as generals, if it can even be done for that matter.

SMZ
08-16-2005, 02:49
currently I think the Council of Merchants and Assemblage are being dealt with as an automatic ancillary for the faction leader... in the case of Arad Doman the king is elected from a noble house based upon his house's prominence, his mercantile abilities aren't really a criteria involved... in fact it might be the opposite in some cases. After all the Council wouldn't want a king in control who is capable of eclipsing them and thus lessening their influence. They want him to have to rely on them.

There's a case for that in Illian I guess where all three powers are in constant struggle. I would assume, like you, that a king who didn't need the Assemblage's "advice" would be a happy king... but that seems a random personal trait - king's ascend the throne based upon heridatry claims first and personal ability only comes into play when such claims are muddled.

Tarabon has an Assembly also, but it is noted that it is virtually powerless and events in the novels bear this out.

---

It is my understanding that we will be able to have female family members. This is particularly important for Andor of course. However I don't think it will be a case of both being available at the same time. A faction will either have female family members or male, not both. Many nations in WoT of course can have either male or female rulers, but I don't think we can implement this, so we've just picked some to be one way and vice versa. At present the suggestions for female kingdoms are:

Andor - always female
Tar Valon - always female
Altara - either/or but the nation has a matriarchal society
Ghealdean - either/or but it seems to fit (of the last five rulers, four were women I believe)
Saldea - either/or but the Saldean women are quite famous
Seanchan - either/or but at present we have an Empress, a Daughter of the Nine Moons, and a female Leader of the Hailene... so it seems to fit

depending upon the capability of adding additional factions post BI this may also include:

Atha'an Miere - always female
Tower in Exile - always female
Mayene - either/or but with Berelain on our minds it'd be hard to do anything else
Far Madding - either/or but they mention several influential female leaders and the current First Counsel is female

as far as a combat penalty... none is really neccessary or appropriate - after all the woman is only one of the members in her troop - the majority are male bodyguards - we'll can either assume for the purpous of humoring RTW's engine that the female family members have trained in war - a trained women is pretty much as effective as a trained man - we can see that from Elayne's bodyguard...

Otherwise you can go with the scenario that she has an assigned Captain to lead her troops for her... that is a common practice for noble ladies - and thus the "general" on the field would be her acting representative

I could make a post regarding what I currently have marked down regarding our decisions on these issues - but I believe Andreas was planning to shortly - either way I think some things are still open to discussion - you should see some info on these things in a day or two

Andreas
08-16-2005, 08:43
Currently only Andor and Tar Valon will be female. I might add one or two nations, but not more for the pre-rand campain... Seanchan will be female, And all except Mayene of those not added if we add them. And Senachans last male ruler were at that post over 1000 years ago, IIRC. Altaras rulers will be male, so will Saldeas... If I add one, that will be Ghealdan ATM.

And yes, I'm going over all info on everything we have, planing to give you a info page shortly...:)