PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing about the bridge bug.

RedJack
03-10-2005, 20:07
Ok, I just bought RTR not to long ago, and have been playing as the Juli faction.

Last night I attacked a Gaul town and was attacked by a Gaulish force that had to cross a bridge to get to my units. I used Light and Medium infrantry to pin them on the bridge, and archers to pick them off.

As mentioned previously, it seemed like the routing Gauls keep trying to charge my lines. After zooming in and looking at it a bit closer, it looks like the Gaulish lines in the rear forced the routing units back. By the time the last Gaulish line was routing, I had them pined between my infrantry and my calvary.

Is this an explanation of the bug or am I missing what really happened?

SpencerH
03-10-2005, 20:21
Hmmm. The only bridge bug I'm aware of is the soldiers running into the water and drowning or falling off the bridge and drowning. It was fixed with 1.1 I think and wasnt a major prob even in 1.0 (IMO).

BobTheTerrible
03-10-2005, 22:50
I think the bug he's referring to is when units on the bridge run towards the enemy side of the bridge rather than the safety of their own lines. I thought CA fixed this by not allowing units on bridges to rout, or something along those lines, but apparently the fix doesn't work.

RedJack
03-10-2005, 22:59
I think the bug he's referring to is when units on the bridge run towards the enemy side of the bridge rather than the safety of their own lines. I thought CA fixed this by not allowing units on bridges to rout, or something along those lines, but apparently the fix doesn't work.
You are correct. I read about it on a thread, and saw it in action last night.

All in all, it was a great fight! I wondered if my troops were going to hold, and the Gallic hordes almost forced them off the bridge.

The Gallic units did rout every once in awhile, but they appeared to unrout right away.

Quillan
03-10-2005, 23:07
It's really a bug, not pressure from the rear. Earlier in my current campaign I had a battle on the bridge between Halicarnassus and Sardis. The Seleucids tried to cross, but not en masse, only a few units at a time. Once the initial thrust had been decimated, the AI would send one at a time to replace it, and some of them started routing on the way from arrow fire (I had 4 units of Cretan mercs at the time). Instead of running back, they ran towards me and died in a pile at the base of the pikes.

SpencerH
03-11-2005, 01:48
Ah yes, that. I've defended rivers quite a bit in this last 1/2 campaign so I've seen it a lot (I just didnt think of it as a bug). Its very anoying to have routed units running through, and disrupting the formation of pikemen defending my end of a bridge.

hoom
03-11-2005, 18:19
Yeah its a bug & pretty annoying.

The bug CA fixed is that the units used to 'panic' and just mass die outright where they stood.
One second the bridge would be full of men, the next there would be mass screams and the bridge covered in bodies.

In my current Macedon RTR 5.3 game I keep getting taken on by the Dacians numbering in the region of 600 men against a couple of phalanx pikemen blocking the bridgehead and a couple of archers hitting from the sides.
Each time, the entire enemy army impales itself on the pikes with almost zero friendly losses & almost all of them from friendy fire.
Its cool because I get an easily defended border but it sucks because they keep doing it & its too easy.

The Stranger
03-11-2005, 19:05
well when i fought a custom battle GREECE VS CARTHAGE 2 upperhanded armoured hoplites pinned down the whole army and the others routed but they routed to their side of the field. but maybe that's because i attacked them from 2 sides.

BTW it was the MOON BRIDGE

Quietus
03-13-2005, 18:48
That's a bug? I thought that was a feature to make the game easier and accessible .

The players get a ridiculous advantage because the units rout to our side, eliminating their chances of ever rallying and reforming (hence another "dumbing down" feature).

Not sure if it works both ways though, since they all end up the attacker even when defending. ~:eek: :dizzy2: