PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wants to commit to a PBM campaign again?

Tricky Lady
03-10-2005, 23:11
RTW is slowly becoming old news and the community is slowly getting divided in RTW 'lovers' and RTW 'haters', and the PBM forum... has become less active then ever. I'm not really a veteran of this forum, but I remember that PBMs were rather popular during my first months here.

And now with RTW this is all gone :cry:

I see many inactive RTW play-by-email campaigns... Some didn't even get further than a simple kick-off post.

I personally find playing PBM campaigns the only way to keep me interested in RTW. When I play a single-player campaign I tend to get bored with the game after 20 or 30 years in the game. Not so when PBM'ing: if you inherit a savegame I'm always surprised as the other player's style is usually very different from mine, or you get an incentive to finish your reign and make the best of it.

I just cannot believe that anyone is interested in PBM campaigns anymore?
Playing an heir's reign can be fun in RTW too (okay, reigns will be a bit longer than w/ MTW) and there are enough rules that can be applied to make the game slower (otherwise the PBM will be over in the second player's reign in most cases).

I say: come on people, let's try it again.

So: who'd be interested in a new RTW or MTW PBM campaign?

:bow:
Tricky Lady

Quietus
03-11-2005, 07:16
Sure, sign me up! I've never played PBEM before though, so where do you upload the file (or is it literally by e-mail) ~:confused: ?

Anyway, my suggestions (notice only suggestions thus not set in stone):

5 provinces per player ( A player must take 5 provinces during the reign).
Please, no more Roman factions. :dizzy2:
Huge units.
Version 1.2 (I think this one is a must, meaning no mods).
Difficulty (doesn't matter to me).

:charge:

Tricky Lady
03-11-2005, 11:44
Yay! That makes already two of us! :smiley:

Well, for the PBMs I signed up for last year, the savegames were uploaded on a filespace here at the Org...
You can download the savegames from here (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/) (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/), but I'll have to check for the "automatic" uploader... I have bookmarked it somewhere but I can't find it right now.

EDIT: Found the link for the PBM upload page (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php) (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php).

The rules you proposed seem to be fine with me. I apply most of them (except the huge unit size) on my PBMs too.

For the difficulty settings we probably best go for Normal battles/Hard Campaign as the difficulty settings for the battles seem to be broken (is this confirmed?), so Normal battles will give the highest difficulty setting possible.
I am personally not so keen on the "cheats" the AI gets when playing Hard campaign difficulty, but I won't object against it either. My preference is N/N.

econ21
03-11-2005, 15:33
I'd like to join in too, time permitting.

The rules sound fine - taking 5 provinces: is that a maximum, minimum or both? If we want the PBM to last beyond a few reigns, I guess it's a maximum?

I'd also like normal/normal difficulty - I like "fair" battles, including at sea (affected by the difficulty campaign setting).

Anyone got any preferences about what non-Roman faction to go for? Anything but Egypt would suit me (I dislike the ahistorical units).

Quietus
03-12-2005, 01:48
Ok, currently we have three players:

1) Tricky Lady
2) Quietus
3) Simon Appleton

Settings: Decided.
Normal/Normal
Version 1.2
Manage All Settlements
5 provinces maximum per player (That's at least 10 turnovers for 50 provinces).

Settings: Yet to be decided.
Unit Size (what's your preference setting?)
50 provinces or whole map
No Rome, no Egypt. (Have you guys played Germania yet?)
Who starts the game?

Ok, people, sign up for a fun PBM RTW Game!

Tricky Lady
03-12-2005, 22:06
I totally agree to the "No Rome, No Egypt" settings.

My personal favourites for a PBM would be (in no particular order): Pontus - Germania - Greeks
.... but other factions are okay for me too.

I'd say 50 provinces is okay, if we go for the maximum of 5 provinces per player.

Unit size: at least "Large".

econ21
03-13-2005, 02:20
Sounds good - both Quietus and TrickyLady both mentioned Germania. Maybe we should go for that? I suggest TrickyLady kick off and we play in the order people signed up.

Quietus
03-13-2005, 02:42
Great! Go for it TL! ~:)

Tricky Lady
03-13-2005, 11:07
Okay dokay!
I'll start the game as soon as possible.

Small question: large or huge unit sizes?

I think I better go for "large", as now I already stumble upon many many "delayed reinforcements", so I guess I shouldn't try to torture my PC with huge unit settings :grin2:

Oh, and shouldn't we wait for more people to sign up, as I fear that now we're heading in the same direction as the other PBMs I referred to in my first post: a few enthousiastic volunteers sign up, and after a few reigns the PBM dies a silent death...

SwordsMaster
03-13-2005, 13:59
hmm...PBM... Why not?

The last one I started as Carthage died a silent dead, so I would be up for it too. It has been since I last played RTW anyway, and I´ve never played Germania.

I´m also for Large unit sizes, but how exactly is the 5prov limit going to work?

Do you "HAVE to take 5 prov" or "if you take any provinces, it can´t be more than 5"? ~:confused:

Quietus
03-13-2005, 18:15
1) Tricky Lady
2) Quietus
3) Simon Appleton
4) SwordMaster

Hey SwordMaster,

A player can only take five provinces then must pass the game to the next player. So if the game starts with 2 provinces,

TL: 2 + 5 provinces
Me: 7 + 5 provinces ....

It doesn't have to be the same provinces, just to make the game constantly progressive. If I take 20 years to add 5 provinces, fine. If I take 10 years, fine as well.

@TL: You can set your # of men to unlimited at the preference.txt file at your RTW folder to eliminate the reinforcement delays.

YAKOBU
03-13-2005, 22:27
Hi everyone ~:wave:

Count me in :charge: .

Does the preference file adjust only need doing in the starter's game?

Quietus
03-13-2005, 22:56
1) Tricky Lady
2) Quietus
3) Simon Appleton
4) SwordMaster
5) YAKOBU

Hey Yakobu,

Aside from the unit size, difficulty and faction - which is set by the starter - I think the preferece.txt file is player specific. ~:)

YAKOBU
03-13-2005, 22:58
Cheers Quietus ~:cheers:

I'll alter mine before my reign.

Tricky Lady
03-14-2005, 17:58
I'll try to kick off the PBM later this week.

PS. Quietus, thanks for the tip on the preferences.txt file. ~:cheers:

SwordsMaster
03-14-2005, 18:25
If I dont change the preference.txt and load a game from an altered one, that doesnt matter, does it? Cause I like the reinforcements being delayed.

Quietus
03-15-2005, 11:58
I just looked at the preference.txt and only the "unit size" can't can't be changed in-game there.

I don't think it will change because there's no option within the game for the unlimited men. But just in case, the preference.txt file of your RTW folder:

UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:TRUE

Just change TRUE to FALSE so you and the AI will have delayed reinforcements, then save.

PS. Quietus, thanks for the tip on the preferences.txt file. Hehe. Welcome. ~:)

YAKOBU
03-16-2005, 12:52
Hi everyone ~:wave:

Just a quick question. Am I right in thinking that your reign ends if either your leader dies or you take 5 provinces?

Cheers ~:cheers:

Tricky Lady
03-16-2005, 13:44
You reign ends when your faction leader dies.

Not sure about the 5-province limit though.

YAKOBU
03-16-2005, 14:15
Hi Tricky Lady ~:wave:

It is the reply from Quietus on 13th that makes me think you can pass your reign over after taking 5 settlements.

Tricky Lady
03-16-2005, 17:41
Aha, I see. After carefull re-reading I notice that Quietus' post can indeed be interpreted like that. :smiley:

I personally favour more a dynasty-like PBM, so that every player plays one faction leader (will be good for the write-ups too I guess).

Perhaps we should consider increasing the # of provinces that can be taken per player from 5 to 10 perhaps?

Any suggestions or comments?

YAKOBU
03-16-2005, 20:01
Hi again Tricky Lady ~:wave:

I'm happy with taking 5 provinces per reign and completing the reign. In our Seleucid PBEM I took my 5 provinces too quickly and then sat twiddling my thumbs while my ruler refused to die. Maybe I should space out my conquests a little?

You set up this PBEM so I will resign myself to your decision :deal2:

Tricky Lady
03-16-2005, 20:34
Yeah I've been thinking about that too.

So (IMHO) it is better to put the 'limit' of conquered provinces per leader/player to 10. I guess that leaves still enough time for everyone who signed up to complete a reign and still go for the 50 provinces + Rome in the end.

My faction leader died @ 8 provinces, so in theory Quietus' campaign can end at 18 provinces. His faction leader is in his 40s so I think conquering 10 provinces during that time-frame is okay.

Quietus
03-16-2005, 21:58
Ok, here's the new rule of game succession

10 provinces conquered maximum within a reign.
If the faction leader dies before taking in at least 7 provinces, the player must continue (but the 10 limit still apply).
If the faction leader dies and has taken in at least 7 provinces, the player will turnover the game to the next player.

TL, I think you should have another shot after my turn (since the rules have changed). Then it is Simon's turn. What do you think? ~:)

PS. I'll also edit my siggy to recruit new players, so we can extend this to a more epic Full-Map campaign. ~D

Tricky Lady
03-16-2005, 22:19
Hi Quietus,
thanks for putting me forward to play another reign, but I think the other players who signed up should get a chance first. I'm sure there will be still enough provinces to conquer when it's my turn again (I'll play again after YAKOBU).

EDIT: woo-hoo, we'll go for a complete conquest! Great. :balloon2:

The Stranger
03-22-2005, 10:10
can i still play, my e-mail is umeu_1@hotmail.com

Tricky Lady
03-22-2005, 11:08
Of course you can!

I'll add you to the list in the Germania PBM thread.

Quietus
03-23-2005, 02:13
Tricky Lady (267-61)
Quietus (261-250)
Simon Appleton (250-?]
SwordsMaster
YAKOBU
Emperor Umeu 1
Repeat cycle.

Alright! Emperor Umeu is in. ~:)

Simon, it is your turn. I've already uploaded the game file in the Germania PBM thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44949) yesterday.

econ21
03-24-2005, 03:27
Thanks, Quietus - I've picked up the savegame. It's an interesting position - with 18 regions we are the most powerful faction but we have virtually no standing army. Taking Patavium and Mediolanium but leaving them with no substantial defence has led the Romans to pile in and so we are now besieged on all fronts. Reminds me of HRE in MTW! The one saving grace is the German spear warband. I've never tried phalanxes before and even this budget version is amazing vs the AI.

Quietus
03-24-2005, 04:13
Simon,

Yes. We are in an amazing position! The main stack in Narbo Martius can destroy any armies the Romans can send. I've just taken lovosice that and moved out the general and his men so you can get mercenaries, for the Dacians sent another stack. The mini-army in Lemonum have also just taken the city. I've also just taken Mediolanum that same turn and was sending that group to the Iberian peninsula.

BTW, we are the most advanced faction! (i'll post the screens later). I've seen the new briton stack the last turn and sent a general to Alesia to intercept(I know they are going to break the ceasefire, AGAIN :dizzy2: ).

C'mon people, sign up. The campaign is really unpredictable! ~:)

Tricky Lady
03-24-2005, 20:56
It seems that you have done more than just "recover" the hopeless position I put our faction in, Quietus.
That's what I like best about PBM games: I can mess up and other player clean up what I destroy... :grin2:

I will have a look at the current campaign map. Must look great!

econ21
03-25-2005, 22:50
Just a headsup for Swordsmaster - as explained in the Germania thread, I've done my turn and the game is available to download (Germaniaw239.zip). Have fun!

SwordsMaster
03-26-2005, 01:30
Thanks Simon

Downloading...

Quietus
03-26-2005, 03:49
Hopeless? Far from it (the land was replete with mercenaries) ~;)

I've also posted my After-Action-Report (with screenies) - for those interested - in here: Germania PBM AAR (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44997)

Swordsmaster is already playing the next phase. I'll have a look at our current position as well. ~:cool:

zakalwe
03-31-2005, 15:10
Seeing as this seems to be the generic PBEM thread, I just thought i'd say that i might be interested in joining a future game. i've never done one before but i used to follow the MTW pbems here. They always made for great reads. Not really sure about all the uploading and image posting stuff, but i'd be willing to give it a try.

Even if i don't i hope the current German one sparks of a PBEM rennaisance. They're good fun to follow ~:)

Quietus
04-01-2005, 04:03
Seeing as this seems to be the generic PBEM thread, I just thought i'd say that i might be interested in joining a future game. i've never done one before but i used to follow the MTW pbems here. They always made for great reads. Not really sure about all the uploading and image posting stuff, but i'd be willing to give it a try.

Even if i don't i hope the current German one sparks of a PBEM rennaisance. They're good fun to follow ~:)
Zakalwe,

Welcome to the group!
1. Tricky Lady
2. Quietus
3. Simon Appleton
4. SwordsMaster
5. YAKOBU
6. Emperor Umeu 1
7. Zakalwe

You are next to Umeu and YAKOBU is currently playing. ~:)

Here's how you post the pictures (I'll just start from the beginning; sorry if you already know some of the steps).
1) Click Prnt Scrn for the screenshot ---> It goes to the RTW>TGA folder as a TGA file. Convert TGA to a JPG file
2) go to www.imagaeshack.us
3) Click "browse" and pick the files you want to upload.
4) Click "host it" and the file will be uploaded
5) Pick one of the variety of links shown (I suggest the thumbnail link (1) and copy & paste the link to your post. If you pick the full picture (I suggest you also add a link to www.imageshack.us at the end of your post thanking them for hosting your files).
6) Preview and you will see the picture. Post once you are ready.

alman7272
04-01-2005, 04:40
I'll start playing RTW again when EB comes out :)

Craterus
04-02-2005, 23:27
Do you only play one turn? And then pass it on? ~:cheers: But ok I would play!

Quietus
04-03-2005, 08:17
Welcome aboard Craterus! ~:)
1. Tricky Lady
2. Quietus
3. Simon Appleton
4. SwordsMaster
5. YAKOBU
6. Emperor Umeu 1
7. Zakalwe or Craterus
8. Tricky Lady

YAKOBU is currently playing, and I'm not really sure if Zakalwe wants to join this game.

~:cool:

Tricky Lady
04-03-2005, 10:10
In the mean time I have added Craterus to the list in the "Germania PBM" thread.
Not sure if Zakalwe wants to play or not? Can you confirm this, Z.?

EDIT: Craterus, check this post (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=719884&postcount=24) for the "rules" of this PBM. You'll have to be very very quick to pass the savegame to the next player after one turn :wink:

Craterus
04-03-2005, 12:26
What if I can't get 10 provinces or mess up and lose some? Do I keep going until I recover 10 provinces? Lol, I look forward to playing anywho.

YAKOBU
04-03-2005, 12:54
Hi Craterus ~:wave:

You must increase your kingdom by at least 7 provinces. As is the case in my turn if your faction leader dies before you have taken 7 provinces then you continue and end your turn once you have taken 7 provinces. You are allowed to take a maximium of 10 provinces in your initial faction leaders reign. If you are really struggling to take 7 provinces after your faction leader dies then I would suggest posting back here and it may be that someone else needs to take the game back on. Please read all the Germania PBEM threads as this is contained in them as well as other useful information.

On a side note: I have completed my turn but am struggling to get the file uploaded. I will check whether Tricky Lady can do it for me or I will e-mail the zipped file to the next player.

Tricky Lady
04-03-2005, 13:37
I tried to upload the ZIP file to the Org's webspace, but the upload failed each time :huh:

I suggest that Emperor Umeu 1 PMs his email address to YAKOBU so that he can receive the savegame through e-mail...

Perhaps someone else can try the uploader? Maybe it's just me?

YAKOBU
04-03-2005, 13:47
I have e-mailed the zip file to Emperor Umeu 1.

Craterus
04-03-2005, 15:43
I don't know a lot about computers and uploading files so maybe it's best I sit this one out because I'll probably slow the whole process down.

Also, you can PBM with other factions right? Because I noticed that you only have Germania here.. ~D ~:cool: ~:cheers:

EDIT: I don't have any mods, so I'm just checking if emailed games would transfer onto my game correctly? ~:confused:

Quietus
04-03-2005, 16:12
Hey Craterus,

You just need to zip the file first because it only accepts .rar and .zip formats. It won't take the plain save file from RTW (at least that's what the instruction says).

Also, you can PBM with other factions right? Because I noticed that you only have Germania here.. Of course! You can even start a new PBM campaign if you wish. ~:)

Craterus
04-03-2005, 19:17
I don't think many people would play, I only know of one person who would definitely play (Littlegannon) and we tend to just play joint-campaigns if he comes round my house.

zakalwe
04-04-2005, 11:31
Craterus, I think Quietus means start a new one on this forum ~:)

Quietus, sorry, in my post i should have made it clearer that i meant i'd like to join in a future campaign rather than this Germania one. Just expressing an interest in participating in the one of these. Fingers crossed they'll take off like the MTW ones.

As an aside, although i've never played a PBM campaign, I think that it would probably be better for RP purposes to take a reign each. Perhaps if you had to name an heir at least 45/50 years old? Just my humble thought ~:)

Craterus
04-04-2005, 13:48
~:cheers: ~:cool: I know what quietus meant, I'm just saying that I'm not brilliant at playing with the Germanians and I'n not good with computers so uploading, sending, receiving the PBM campaign would be a problem.. ~D

orcorama
04-05-2005, 23:54
im terrible but id like to join
my e-mail is orcorama@yahoo.com
also do i need 1.2 patch to play because i have 1.1 and i cant get the 1.2 patch to work

Quietus
04-06-2005, 01:28
Hi orcorama,

~:) We'd love to have you in but we are using a patch 1.2 game. I know, as the devs said, Version 1.0 and 1.1 both work on 1.2 but I'm not sure if 1.2 works on 1.1

Here's my suggestion: Start a new PBM campaign with Craterus, Littlegannon and zakalwe. I suggest you start the game since you have verson 1.1. Hence,

orcorama
Craterus
Littlegannon
zakalwe
What do you guys think? Of course, the particulars of succession are really up to you; as zakalwe said: "45-50 year old heirs" for role-playing purpose.

orcorama
04-06-2005, 01:47
im not sure if im right but i joined the julii game and i think that was a 1.2 saved game and it worked but i will start a new one since this one is almost done

Craterus
04-06-2005, 14:01
I don't know if littlegannon is willing to join, I don't know if he's ever visited the Throne Room. I'll ask him when I see him ~D. I need to download 1.2 then? :confused:

orcorama
04-06-2005, 17:21
no
well maybe download it but not install it yet