PDA

View Full Version : RTW expansion or MTW2

LegolasII
03-14-2005, 02:55
Many people seem to prefer MTW2 instead but I myself would like an expansion for RTW adding tons of new features and that has less bugs. What would you guys prefer, MTW2 or an expansion for RTW?

Malachus
03-14-2005, 03:53
Come on, knights that actually shine in the sun, charging and throwing their lowly infantry opponents into the air.... oh boy, MTW2... *drools*

Trajen the 1st
03-14-2005, 04:33
If they include a bigger map that has more of the middle east, MTW2. But if they have an interesting concept for the xpak like fall of rome(there's a mod for this but i like vereity)then expak. For me it depends on what they'll do and how. To be honest i'd like both to happen.(xpak THEN mtw2 ofcourse!) ~D

Wishazu
03-14-2005, 09:21
the exp packs are usually set earlier in history than the main game and allways involve some foreign invasion. My money is on Rome Total War: The Persian Invasion, admittedly this would shift the focus of the game to greece and away from rome. but its what i want dammit ~:)

player1
03-14-2005, 09:51
Expansion is more likely.

Successful games always have expansions.
It's a best way companies to take gamers money (or to get funds for bug-fixing, that should be done in original game).

The Stranger
03-14-2005, 15:15
it doesn't really matter to me as long as the gameplay, graphics are good. but as you all ar dying to hear my oppinion i would go for xpak cause i like the roman era more than the medieval one

red comyn
03-14-2005, 15:37
Rather see an epansion myself, either roman british invasion. using north france etc and the present day uk. or the same map with the roman colapse in norhtern europe. and always hoping to come across a small norhtern french village holding out against rome with some magic potion.

I would prefer a MTW 2 with expansion west all the way to NewFoundland.This includes Iceland and Greenland with more raiding and to see Sweden on the map.There could alway be tow sets MTW2 and RTW2.What about that?

Spino
03-14-2005, 20:19
The expansion pack is pretty much guaranteed. The subject matter of the next TW game is for the most part, a mystery. However, prior to the release of Rome I recall an incident where an east Asian website leaked screenshots of it onto the net along with the juicy tidbit that CA was considering a remake of Medieval for the next TW game. So unless things have changed it seems we're going to get both.

Now if given a choice between the two I prefer an expansion to RTW only if it fixes all outstanding bugs and more importantly, brings major improvements to the AI (especially the tactical AI) and greatly expands upon the moddability of the last patched version (i.e. less hard coded data and more text files, increase to the max number of factions, etc.).

Should the expansion pack only fix the outstanding bugs and sport another tightly focused campaign like Viking Invasion then I say CA should drop it altogether, issue a 1.3 patch that fixes the bugs and improves moddability and leave RTW to modders who can offer the same kind of content on their own. If RTW's expansion is simply going to be a repeat of Viking Invasion then I'll take Medieval '2' in a hearbeat.

Colovion
03-14-2005, 21:14
I'd rather CA take 5 years to put out a perfect MTW2 product than further bastardize the TW francise with a half-hearted expansion pack for RTW.

Would Activision of had any part in the bugs that these games had or have.I know all aboutthat they only issue a one patch policy and they tend to rush out games to fast for publication.They did this with all the Trek games the put out as they are ridden with bugs.I agree that CA would be best to take there time as the current games still have plenty of life in them yet more than some Trek games that I know of Colovion you are right 5 years is a good time.

player1
03-14-2005, 23:16
The first time I got disgusted by Activision was with its Call of Power series of the games.

First one had some bugs and balancing problems.
Got 2 patches.
Why not more?
They rush to make second Call two Power 2.

When it gets released, it only gets one hot fix, with still lots of balance problems (old ones fixed, new ones added) and worse AI then first game (AI diplomacy code, for example was non-existant, and AI was so passive that it was never able to win the game). At least, game was very modable, otherwise I would never bother with it. It is one of those games that require patches to be playable.

Only redeeming thing is that they released souce code last year (five years after initial release).

RtW is first Activision game I bought after that.

hoom
03-15-2005, 02:42
For chrissakes people.
If CA does a MTW2 now, then we are at an end to variety for the TW series.
It will just cycle between Rome, Medieval & Shogun remakes until people stop buying.
I say MTW2 has to wait for PCs to be powerful enough to let the castles be made up of physics blocks (http://www.ageia.com/novodex_downloads.html#) at the very least.
I'd rather see Total War of the Roses or something like that which would be in the Medieval period but not just a rehash of MTW.
But at the least I think there should be India:TW, China:TW & Renaisance:TW before any remakes.

Lochar
03-15-2005, 02:49
I would love to see MTW redone. I tried to play it the other day to see the differences, and I got spoiled by RTW graphics.

I think MTW has a better tech tree to play with as well, with crossbows, trebuchets (sp), etc.

I am proabably wrong but didnt the roman legions fight pretty much the same way once the reforms came in? Unless they introduce sea battles as an expansion I am not sure what Rome has to offer except historical battles, but then again I am not a history buff so maybe missing something.

HarunTaiwan
03-15-2005, 06:19
There will be a TW: Asia with Korea, China, Japan at some point if only for marketing reasons.

MTW will happen of course, since that era is just soooo coool.

I think they could even get to Napoleonic eras.

But they will rotate through these as not to bore us.

Oh, and yeah, TW: Alexander for sure.

I hope to be playing this series in 20 years.

Sas_Legion
03-15-2005, 06:37
in short .. I like both of them ~D

Atreides
03-15-2005, 10:47
Well both of them would be great. Anyway. I would like to see a decent 'economic handler'. Cause handeling the cities just take way too much time when your like in the mid/end game.

So things like 'forbid military building in city, only make military in type'. Make some installations for 'return on investment' ect.

Ulfang
03-15-2005, 13:56
Well both obviously but I'd love MTW2 more than anything in the world lol

course with Sega now involved my only fear is the games become more arcade style or more like other RTS titles which I don't want. The thing about Total War is it was a proper wargame more than a standard RTS title such as Empire Earth etc. I've had a quick look at Spartan Total Warrior and not sure I like what I see!

Bob the Insane
03-15-2005, 17:57
While I like the Roman era I feel more of a conntection to the Medieval... In MTW you where fighting for King and nation and for their dominance, I find the Roman era to be too remote to really care about which factions succeed (all very much my personal opinion of course)..

I also believe that the design of RTW would have been far better suited to a MTW2 with the way the family trees are set up (representing the aristocracy) and with the Senate as the Pope giving missions and orders to all catholic nations...

Forts could have been castles, and been more expensive and perminent...

Provinces could have bestowed titles you could lavish on your extended family in much the same way as the Faction Heir... The default faction heir would simply be the eldest son... reintroduce the Princess agent to represent the unmarried female members of the family tree... If left in the cities they could pick up a husband which would add a general to your factin or alteratively you could marry them off to the other factions as part of deplomancy in which case they would disappear from your tree and be added to the other factions...

Dreaming...

Ulfang
03-15-2005, 18:42
Ahhhhhh I want to experience that Dream too ~;)

I agree totally as most MTW2'ers will do! I find now I can't go back to MTW becuse of the difference in grpahics and also the fact you can't stand on walls in MTW so sieges are all a bit dodgy! I also love the province movement system in RTW compared to the move system in MTW but an up-to-date MTW would rock! I do like the Ancient Age of RTW but much prefer the Medieval age! Also loved the three different Era's in MTW giving so many possibilities!

Awwww the memories!

Like they say lock and load and patch up play.