PDA

View Full Version : GAH! Our local bar destroyed!

Beirut
03-14-2005, 16:21
Listen to your grandfather;

Shovel your roof!

The owners of our local watering hole forget to do this and...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/commons002.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/commons004.jpg

I was in there on Saturday afternoon after shovelling a roof myself, having a beer and watching the giant screen tv. I was the only person there and the owner just handed over the remote control and I sat there with my feet up, beer in one hand, remote in the other, like it was my own living room. ~:cheers:

Last night around eight this happened. They heard the roof giving way and cleared the place out. at least no one was hurt.

My bar is gone! ~:mecry:

Uesugi Kenshin
03-14-2005, 16:26
Poor Beirut. Guess your going to have to just drink at home........

The Stranger
03-14-2005, 16:29
ah you're so ....

Ironside
03-14-2005, 18:24
Beirut, what houses are you building there? Looking at the small "house" at the first pick I would say that it's the same amount of snow for a regular winter here, and roofs don't collapse by snow-pressure here. :dizzy2:

Too bad for your local bar though ~:mecry:

Byzantine Prince
03-14-2005, 18:31
Beirut, what houses are you building there? Looking at the small "house" at the first pick I would say that it's the same amount of snow for a regular winter here, and roofs don't collapse by snow-pressure here. :dizzy2:

Too bad for your local bar though ~:mecry:

In Quebec is snows a lot more heavily then Sweden. Also buildings here in N.America are made very cheaply so houses collapse pretty easily.

Ahh I guess your gonna have to be on the look out for a new bar now Beirut. It's gonna awfuly hard to get used to a new place to drink and hang out though.

Hosakawa Tito
03-14-2005, 18:47
Looks like the deck will collapse next. Did they manage to save the beer & booze? Oh the horror, oh the humanity! :cry:

Evil_Maniac From Mars
03-14-2005, 18:57
On the bright side, you might not be totally drunk on the net.

Beirut
03-14-2005, 20:03
(Just so it's clear, both pictures are the same place.)

Actually, the houses here, though standard bull**** 2x4 construction, have roof trusses every 16". A standard roof will hold 4'-5' of snow before things get nasty. But with the warm weather, 4' of snow on a roof gets heavy like cement. And if it rains... "Boom!"

Now we're finding out the owner of the bar was doing renos upstairs to make a few apartment units. He took out supporting walls without putting in new cross beams. What a dummy.

The bar was on the very first floor and the booze and giant screen tv are safe. But now the first floor ceiling is supporting the entire colapsed roof structure plus snow. It's a bit dicey to go in there.

But like any good Canadian town, we have had no shortage of volunteers ready and willing to mount a rescue mission for the beer. :knight:

Just finished shovelling my roof about two minutes ago. Have to go to my neighbour next. I mean, my neighbour's roof. ~;)

Aelwyn
03-14-2005, 20:08
such a tragedy....its always sad when bad things happen to good places. but at least the alcohol should be cold after being buried in snow for a while.

The_Doctor
03-14-2005, 21:12
Why was it made out of wood?

It must be freezing in there and lighting a fire would turn it in to a massive fire hazard.

Also, unless I have been lied to as a child, a wolf could blow it down.

Hosakawa Tito
03-14-2005, 21:58
=Beirut
But like any good Canadian town, we have had no shortage of volunteers ready and willing to mount a rescue mission for the beer. :knight:
~;)

I would be willing to participate in such a *hic* worthy cause. An international rescue mission to help my good neighbors from Canada. Our rally cry, Deus lo Volt. "God wills it." :knight:

Ironside
03-14-2005, 22:30
Actually, the houses here, though standard bull**** 2x4 construction, have roof trusses every 16". A standard roof will hold 4'-5' of snow before things get nasty. But with the warm weather, 4' of snow on a roof gets heavy like cement. And if it rains... "Boom!"

I suspect that those sheet metal parts on the top of the roofs might have a purpose. :thinking: Warm weather equals:
"heavy snow is falling down, falling down, falling down, hitting people all the time, until the roof is emty." Well not always, most roofs got a grid to prevent it nowadays anyway. Walking on a roof is quite dangerous here too, slipping is easy and the steeper roofs is almost impossible to walk on.

Now we're finding out the owner of the bar was doing renos upstairs to make a few apartment units. He took out supporting walls without putting in new cross beams. What a dummy

I wonder what those supporting walls are doing? :goofy:
I'm betting there's no problem to remove them. :dizzy2:

To bad that it costed a bar for him to find out.

English assassin
03-15-2005, 10:52
Yeah, YOU think it was snow, I reckon MOSSAD have been checking out Beruit's posts in the backroom and decided to send him a leeetle message...

Seen any guys with NZ passports and snow blowers in town, Beruit?

Hosakawa Tito
03-15-2005, 15:48
Yeah, YOU think it was snow, I reckon MOSSAD have been checking out Beruit's posts in the backroom and decided to send him a leeetle message...

Seen any guys with NZ passports and snow blowers in town, Beruit?

Almost lost my morning coffee on that one. :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: ~:cheers:

Beirut
03-15-2005, 23:22
In my town, everyone is welcome for a beer. Even the Mossad. ~D

(But they have to have their own passports.)

Navaros
03-16-2005, 09:51
Listen to your grandfather;

Shovel your roof!

The owners of our local watering hole forget to do this and...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/commons002.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/commons004.jpg

I was in there on Saturday afternoon after shovelling a roof myself, having a beer and watching the giant screen tv. I was the only person there and the owner just handed over the remote control and I sat there with my feet up, beer in one hand, remote in the other, like it was my own living room. ~:cheers:

Last night around eight this happened. They heard the roof giving way and cleared the place out. at least no one was hurt.

My bar is gone! ~:mecry:

SNOWNED!