PDA

View Full Version : 1 Unit Vs. 1 Unit: The Most One Sided?

derF
03-24-2005, 15:20
In your opinion, whats the most one sided fight that 2 units can engage in? (disregarding weapons upgrades and experience).

I have a tendency to go with (although i havent deeply looked into the stats):

Cataphract wedge charging downhill into Roman Peasants?

saddletank
03-24-2005, 15:39
Do they have to fight head to head? My 49 strong Roman General's bodyguard charging downhill hit the rear of a 60-something strong Iberian infantry unit which had just turned around to face another threat. The infantry were entirely slain in 2 or 3 seconds and the cavalry hardly even slowed down but just went out the other side of the unit.

Some enemy peasants had just routed away from next to the Iberians so maybe they had no intention of resisting anyway :)

Kaldhore
03-24-2005, 16:12
I have never personally found wedge to usefull.

In fact most of the time it hinders me.

derF
03-24-2005, 16:54
Lets keep it a head on conflict.

Yeh, wedge isnt too important on medium army size.

hrvojej
03-24-2005, 16:57
I would replace the cataphracts with a late eastern faction leader or armoured elephants (with working archers).

EvilNed
03-24-2005, 17:27
Ok, so it wasn't a 1v1 fight, but it was because of one unit that I won the battle.

I was carthage, and my line was made out of libyan spearmen and iberian infantry (crappy stuff). But I had one unit of Armoured Elephants. For some reason, the romans charged my line, even though I was the attacker. In this case, my army had not yet reached it's position, save for the elephants. So basicly, the elephants stood there, watching as the romans charged by it and into my line. Of course, I took the oppertunity, and charged it right into the rear of a group of principes and NEVER EVER have I seen units fly like that! Man, a couple of them must have easily flown a couple of hundred yards. It was hilarious. Anyway, then I just plowed through the ranks of the romans with my elephant from one side to the other in a linear fashion, making every roman unit rout as they got trampled by the elephants.

Don't think I've ever seen an elephant unit get as many casualties as that one got in that battle. Quite funny.

The Stranger
03-24-2005, 20:16
In your opinion, whats the most one sided fight that 2 units can engage in? (disregarding weapons upgrades and experience).

I have a tendency to go with (although i havent deeply looked into the stats):

Cataphract wedge charging downhill into Roman Peasants?

ehh wedge is bugged. but i say cataphract eles vs levies. not peasants cause you need a dense formation

Akka
03-24-2005, 21:02
Peasants charging spartan hoplite in phalanx formation.

Arrowhead
03-24-2005, 22:27
A unit of levies, at the corner of a map edge, facing backwards with a unit of armoured ele's (with all armour, weapon and chevron upgrades) charging downhill into their rear. ~D

Mikeus Caesar
03-25-2005, 12:02
The most one sided? A group of barbarian peasants, in the corner, with their arses pointing at a unit of armoured elephants.

Craterus
03-26-2005, 00:59
i would go with cataphracts/armoured elephants into the back of some unaware peasants...