PDA

View Full Version : saxon invasion of britain mod?

King Ragnar
03-27-2005, 17:00
when i was playing the mercians on viking invasion i thought to my self how did the mercians and saxons become major powers in britain? So i decided to do some research and when i was reading about the invasion of britain by the Saxons :book: , angles and jutes i thought to myself this would make quite a good mod. I was wondering if anyone else thinks this could work?

AmbrosiusAurelianus
03-29-2005, 15:43
I'm sure that it would work, but do you not think that it would be a bit too like the Fall of Rome mod? Same period and everything. I'm just waiting for them to release the final version of that.

If you did the mod yourself you'd have a lot of the units already done in the Viking Invasion add on. Huscarles and fyrd for example...

Spongly
03-29-2005, 18:33
Actually Alfred the Great introduced the Fyrd organisation to the English, and Canute introduced the Huscarls. Neither were really forms of military organisation known to the early Anglo-Saxons.

King Ragnar
03-29-2005, 19:54
the fall of rome mod is about the whole of europe this would only have a map of england,ireland,francland,a bit of germany, norway and denmark

AmbrosiusAurelianus
03-30-2005, 14:28
Actually Alfred the Great introduced the Fyrd organisation to the English, and Canute introduced the Huscarls. Neither were really forms of military organisation known to the early Anglo-Saxons.

Oh yeah, I forgot that I guess. I wasn't thinking straight, but I meant to say that a lot of the infrastructure such as meadhalls and the like could stay, and that units that look close enough to a unit from that time could be renamed to save on time. Were double handed axes used then? I seem to remember them being a Danish thing. Armoured Spearmen would look good, and Swabian Swordsmen look all right too: one could rename them to thegns?

I suppose it depends on how long Ragnar wants the time period to extend. If it be a long while then you could anticipate some later developments and incorporate them in the tech tree. Have I dug myself out of my embarrassing oversight successfuly yet, or should I give up? ~D

the fall of rome mod is about the whole of europe this would only have a map of england,ireland,francland,a bit of germany, norway and denmark

Ah, I see what you mean now. You're basically going to use a modified form of the Viking invasion map rather than the MTW one? It would certainly work if you put the time in to do it, and I'm sure people would play it. I included. ~:)

King Ragnar
03-30-2005, 15:00
is it possible to unlock francland on the VI map?

caravel
04-02-2005, 15:38
You can set it it as a province but it's not as simple as, making africa playable in the Medieval campaign map. Africa was just a disabled province wheras Frankland wasn't designated as a province to start with. It can be done though.

This would be an interesting mod, but you'd need a small Roman presence, as well as the many different British factions and of course the Angle, Saxon and Jute invaders.

I believe that the current British isles map would not be sufficent though, it would need to extend further eastward.