PDA

View Full Version : reinforcements?

Fek
03-28-2005, 03:17
When I am in a battle where I have reinforcements, how do I get them to help me out?

They just hang out there until I'm almost dead. Then, they come to the rescue.

Also, can I rotate my units? When I move them they just keep looking the same way.

Thanks.

ichi
03-28-2005, 03:25
Welcome to the Org Fek

Are you running Rome,Medieval, or (gasp) Shogun?

There's different answer depending on which game.

ichi :bow:

Fek
03-28-2005, 03:29
Rome. Kind of new to it too. Playing on Easy.

Thanks for the 12 minute response. I wish everything worked like that.

ichi
03-28-2005, 03:33
My experience with Rome reinforcements is that you have to position yourself (and/or delay engaging with the enemy) long enough for the reinforcements to get involved.

I never noticed reinforcements waiting, but it does seem like theyare awfully slow in approaching the fight. When I'm in a situation where I think I need the help in order to win, I just use a little delay move to position my troops better and to let the reinforcements get in position.

But, I'm not a RTW expert (*ignores laughing of those who would contend that I'm not that hot when it comes to MTW or Shogun either*), maybe some of the more savvy Rome types can give a better answer.

ichi :bow:

Fek
03-28-2005, 03:40
I had a battle where I was up against 2 full armies. Their reinforcements were on me right away. I can see mine on the sidelines but can't select them until things have gone really wrong for me.

On another note, how do you obtain a surrender? Is that an option when you send a diplomat in? I can't see it.

Bhruic
03-28-2005, 04:39
You can only have 20 (I believe) units on the field at one time. If you've already got that many, then your reinforcements won't join the battle until one of your units is no longer present (either, routed or killed), at which point one unit will join as a replacement.

I find it best to cycle out any unit that is damaged or out of ammo and bring in a fresh one. Just manually "rout" your unit, and you'll get a replacement.

Bh

Fek
03-28-2005, 05:20
what about obtaining a surrender? What does that mean? Ask them to give me all territory? Sometimes thats not even an option when I send my diplomat.

Bhruic
03-28-2005, 06:12
There is no "surrender", but there is "protectorate". Basically, that means that for game-winning purposes, their territory is considered yours. They will also pay you money.

On the minus side, they are still an independent entity, and can break the protectorate status.

Bh

Fek
03-28-2005, 07:24
So if I'm on a senate mission, that means surrender?

Any tips on keeping cities happy? Every so often I get kicked out of one, go back in and exterminate them.

Quietus
03-28-2005, 07:46
Hi all,

For ALL the reinforcement to arrive, go to your preference. txt file of your RTW folder, set:

"UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE" to
"UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:TRUE"

However, you can only get them if you let the AI control the units which means checking the reinforcement box on the battle scroll, since the limit is still 20 units

To increase public order, you need to increase the values for these:

Public Order –
+ order: entertainment buildings, health buildings, law buildings, governor’s influence, wonders, low tax, garrison, population boom (+5% public order for every +5% population growth starting at 5.5% pop. growth base).

You can also eliminate culture penalty which is tied to how many foreign building you have. So you can destroy unnecessary buildings.

Fek
03-28-2005, 09:00
how do you build wonders?

cunctator
03-28-2005, 09:40
You can`t build wonders. The seven classic wonders of the world are placed on the campaign map from the start. The wonders can`t be damaged or destroyed.
They give you a faction wide bonus if you controll a province with one of them.

seghillian
03-28-2005, 09:45
Hi Fek. You don't build wonders - they exist already in the places they should be (eg Pyramids in Egypt, Colossus of Roads on the M25 presumably, etc), so you need to occupy those places to get the benefit of the wonders.

A reinforcement story. The other day I was playing as the Parthians and wanted to take on a stack of Brutii. I moved my main stack up but had insufficient movement to reach them - my units reached the red ZOC but couldn't launch the attack. So I moved in a 2nd stack - same story - they fell a fraction short. I now had 2 large stacks in the red area of the Brutii which would win easily but would have to wait till next turn. In desperation I rode up with a single unit of cav and launched my attack. Success - the battle screen opened - my 27 cav against a large Brutii stack but I have 2 reinforcement stacks mentioned on the battle screen - great so I click through to the battle. Disaster looms! A message comes up saying the reinforcements haven't arrived yet and asks will they arrive in time!!

Hehehehe - my 27 horse archers are perched at the top of the hill. My general blusters away with his usual nonsense about death to the enemy - despite the fact that there's about 800 of them! The battle started and fortunately the Brutii stayed where they were so I thought if I stand still those missing reinforcements might eventually turn up. They didn't. What did happen however, was that the Brutii suddenly turned tail and retreated off the map giving victory to my 27 horse archers!

I've been playing for some time and never seen anything like this (both the non-arrival of reinforcements nor a retreat by an overwhelming force). Quite amusing - I hope the Brutii general was sacked for extreme cowardice!

Craterus
03-28-2005, 12:19
i had a similar thing happen to me.. i think it was because i was so far away, the Macedon (Brutii in your case) couldn't see my small army so they must have thought they're wasn't going to be a battle lol..