PDA

View Full Version : An Idea to make RTW harder

Sas_Legion
03-28-2005, 07:27
when I played RTW first time I noticed that there is no balance in training units from newly conquered cites . Say u play with Julli family and conquered Pativiem and the AI built a stable and other buildings that producing the mighty roman units , so you can start pumping units from 2 cites at least ( Arretiem and Pativiem ) Vs one city to the gauls in N. Italy ( Medoleniam ) that is not fair .
Finally , I want say if any one can mod the units training condetions to include the culture condetion . So when there is a culture penality in the city u cann't train only town wathc and peasents . Another Idea , is to make the quality of the units trained form these cites lower than your units trained from your homelands and again if the conquered city had a cultural penality .
thx for any comments
sorry for any misspell .
:bow:

Byzantine Prince
03-28-2005, 07:40
RTR has something similar. Also what you could do is not use those provinces for anything. It's all up to you really. ~;)

Sas_Legion
03-28-2005, 07:47
I didn't try RTR but as u said that I have to do it . ~;)
oh .. about the quality I ment the Attack and diff. and morale status .

Epistolary Richard
03-28-2005, 09:00
While it's not possible to make use of the culture penalty as a recruiting conditional, mods such as RTR, the Ptolmeic mod and the forthcoming EB all address cultural differences through a variety of abstracts.

To vary the quality of units all you need to do is define a new unit with lower stats than the original, eg Provincial Legionaries as opposed to Italian Legionaries. This would be primarily done in export_descr_unit.txt but several other files would be affected as well and can be made easier with tools such as GodsPetMonkey's Caligula which you can find details of in here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=38858).

Jambo
03-28-2005, 10:17
In theory, it's a nice idea, but in terms of making RTW harder, I very much doubt it. You see, the one thing you've not considered is how a change like this impacts on the AI. People complain that the AI always tends to field armies full of low tech units. I fear that limiting the ability to produce good units in an expanding empire of an AI faction will only encourage this. Meanwhile the human player will still have the savy to know to produce units mainly from the home provinces and limit the production of the weaker provincial units.