PDA

View Full Version : Better Barracks = more experienced troops idea

Calmarac
03-31-2005, 01:52
For some time now I`ve been puzzled by some of the entries in export_descr_buildings.txt.
In an entry such as -

recruit "greek hoplite militia" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }

- the 0 is the unit experience (chevron)

Now, most units are recruited without any experience, but a rare few are given XP chevrons based on barracks level. For example -

city_barracks (and above)
recruit "warband axe scythian" 1 requires factions { scythia, }
recruit "numidian desert warriors" 1 requires factions { numidia, }

army_barracks (and above)
recruit "greek hoplite" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, }

royal_barracks requires factions { seleucid, roman, }
recruit "roman triarii" 1 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms

hippodrome
recruit "roman light cavalry" 1 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
circus_maximus
recruit "roman light cavalry" 2 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms

Why these 5 units are so privileged escapes me, especially the Equites - but it gave me an idea.

Following the pattern for "roman light cavalry" I`ve modified my E_D_B file so that all units gain 1 XP at the barracks level above their entry level, 2 XP at the next, and so on. Here`s an extract from my modified version which makes it a bit clearer, hopefully -

muster_field
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }

militia_barracks
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }

city_barracks
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 2 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }

army_barracks
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 3 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 2 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, } and hidden_resource sparta

royal_barracks
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 4 requires factions { greek_cities, thrace, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 3 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 2 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, } and hidden_resource sparta

I made similar changes to stables and missile ranges.

I prefer this system, partially implemented in the Vanilla game, to having the Temples grant experience (it could be used alongside Temple experience or as a replacement for it)

It makes sense to me and it does mean I get to fight slightly better `Town Watch` or whatever later in the game. At least now if the AI churns out low level units from decent barracks they have some experience to compensate. I`m seeing more interesting and dangerous AI armies as a result ~:cool:

Red Harvest
03-31-2005, 02:26
The upgraded unit experience is often done when there is a gap in the building roster (no new unit buildable at a given level.)

When you start giving high experience levels like you have done, you run the risk of producing uber peasant type troops, low level troops that whip or at least stand toe-to-toe with units that would easily best them. +4 experience = +4 attack, +4 defense (and perhaps some morale although I don't know on that.) So this tends to blur the lines quite a bit between elite and normal troops.

drone
03-31-2005, 02:41
I had thought of doing this before the 1.2 patch, allowing the romans to recruit hastati, principe, and triarii early, ramping up the exp for the lower level troops as the barracks level increased. Not sure I would do it for peasants though.

Some people suggesting using other building requirements to give a exp bonus as well, but I think there were problems with that (both buildings had to have a recruitable unit???).

It's a good idea for some troop types, but not all. If a legionary cohort is buildable, why even give the early leg cohort option at a town? Retraining is all I can think of.

The Stranger
03-31-2005, 09:10
i was also thinking of this

player1
03-31-2005, 14:33
Usually +1exp troops are awarded on barrack levels which don't give anything.

For example, 4th and 5th level stables give experineced equites for romans, since otherwise they whould be useless.
Same for 5th level barracks and Triarii.

Of course, this is one weird exeption:
+1exp Hoplite at 4rd level Greek barracks
This one is completly useless, since Armoured Hoplites (gained at 3rd level) are always better.
Building 4th level barracks for Greeks only makes sense in Sparta and Syracuse, since there you can trait Spartans.

sunsmountain
03-31-2005, 16:49
As long as the temple bonus xp and the barracks bonus xp do not stack, i dont see a problem.

If they do, roman julii epona urban barracks early legionary cohort will have 9 experience as 'raw recruits', making them instant elite.

Other than that, town watch with 4 experience do not beat hastati, unless you're fighting on VH, being charged (by the town watch) and not providing any support/flanks.