PDA

View Full Version : Onagers "inaccurate against troops" my a**

Titus Livius
04-02-2005, 05:45
I noticed that onagers have the value "inaccurate against troops."

That's funny, because every time one of my enemies fields onagers they usually kill more of my men than any other unit, almost always landing right in their midst. Anyone else noticed this?

derF
04-02-2005, 11:01
Onagers are perfecty accurate against anything stationary, that is, until you switch on "fire ammo".

Wishazu
04-02-2005, 11:25
if they are using fire pots then any hit is pretty much just luck. stone ammo is generally very accurate

Mikeus Caesar
04-02-2005, 14:26
As you said:

Inaccurate my arse!!

On stone ammo, they are more accurate than a frigging ballista. I only use stone ammo if i want to destroy large portions of city, because large fireballs going all over the place have a tendecy to set plenty of buildings on fire.

*Ringo*
04-02-2005, 14:29
How can you not play with flaming pots? Inaccurate Yes, but seeing all those little men burst into flames when you do hit! ~:smoking:

moerty
04-02-2005, 15:45
i think it might depend on placement. last night i had a battle versus the gauls and they parked themselves on top of a hill, my onagers rarely seemed to miss one unit got 380 kills, innacurate flaming pots and all.

Jonny Dangerously
04-02-2005, 15:54
How can you not play with flaming pots? Inaccurate Yes, but seeing all those little men burst into flames when you do hit! ~:smoking:

Onagers rule!!!!

My ideal army fields with 4 onagers and 4 archers. Fire pots are a bit hit-and-miss but even so they mash up the enemy. They are also the most likely way to take out the enemy general right at the start of the battle, not to mention they are excellent and reducing enemy elephant units to ashes.

....... and yes, the sight of all those enemy infantry flying through the air is a sight to behold.....aaaahhhhhh.

Mikeus Caesar
04-02-2005, 16:10
My armies usually field with 2 onagers and 2 archer units. Highly effective.

The Stranger
04-02-2005, 18:53
hah, onagers are very accurate, i encountered one unit today, these ******* ruined my day and killed 600 legionares, if there was no onager i could have waited and sprayed those troops with Pilas, and BTW i once saw the enemy go Testudo vs Onagers

Dutch_guy
04-02-2005, 20:35
I hate it when the enemy deploys onagers, actually I hate it when they deploy any kind of archer unit...It's why I hate fighting Egypt...
I always have 2 onagers in my army's , they always destroy at least half a unit which is great when fighting spartans or any kind of elite unit
I mean is it just coincedence or does the general always get hit by onagers ( specially using just rock ammo ) it happens almost every time I target the enemy general.. ~:confused:

Craterus
04-02-2005, 22:41
i rarely field onagers in my army, but I was having loads of fun with a large stone wall today.. I didn't miss with the flaming rocks either! ~:cheers: I like Onagers, or better Heavy Onagers..

Sam Adams
04-02-2005, 23:11
artillery with a set draw-length was historically rather accurate, as long as you used the same weight of projectile every time.

AntiochusIII
04-02-2005, 23:18
Hmm..onagers with fire are actually rather inaccurate.

BUT...it doesn't matter in the least bit if you (me) managed to lock up two thousand Egyptians in a wooden-walled city and assault it the very same turn with an army that consists eight heavy onagers (special siege force)

They BURN a thousand Egyptians, including a pharoah and a prince, before i moved into the holed walls, oh, and at least half the city was filled with large piles of burned down buildings...

Sam Adams
04-03-2005, 00:17
i think im gonna have to try that.

why not use 15 heavy ornagers, rout them when they run out of ammo, and then bring in 15 more:P

Divinus Arma
04-03-2005, 00:50
It a wonderful thing fighting gaul with onagers.

Lock those suckers into their city, err, deathtrap, and just sit back and let the falmes fly. The more onagers the better. hell, just three units can take out half the enemy! The smaller the city, the better of course (less trees).

Jonny Dangerously
04-03-2005, 13:52
Lock those suckers into their city, err, deathtrap, and just sit back and let the falmes fly.

I hear you.

I love rocking up to a barbarian town or city, with it's wooden stockade and highly flamable buildings. It's like shooting fish in a barrel! By the time I take my troops in I'm only up against a bunch of half-fried semi-units who've lost the will to fight.

They are also good for dealing with chariots....god I hate chariots, and especially Egyptian ones at that.