PDA

View Full Version : Save/Load Bug definite Test

Divinehammer
04-05-2005, 18:02
Why doesnt someone make a Mod to test this load save game bug out for sure. CA says that it reassesses threats on the Load and then reallocates the troops as fit. Well why dont you make a game that starts with just 2 factions by adjusting the province ownership. To just have 2 factions one AI and One Player and make sure the AI one is Agressive. Then start the game and dont build anything and dont make or move troops. Hit end of turn till a siege comes up and then test the save load bug out . if the AI starves or takes you to battle you will know since you are the only one and you control all of the threats. CA says that this bug is only reported by a few and so is attempting to blow it off, but I say that it is because not everyone has time to test this bug out myself included. When I get time to play I want to play but with a mod like this everyone can install it and hit end of turn a few times and report their results creating more backing for this bug. It is a game killer for short period players like my self because the factions never gain territory. Lets get this going modders.

drone
04-05-2005, 18:11
I'm not sure CA will accept test results from a modified game. I had thought of modding out rebels to make sure they weren't interfering with the AI factions. But after thinking about it, I realized it would be an unacceptable test. Vanilla only.

Divinehammer
04-05-2005, 18:16
yes but you could do this to vanilla just as well all you are changing is province ownership and this way all variables are better controlled for a controlled testing environment. If this bug is hardcoded in procedures within TW like everyone thinks that it is then editing a text file shouldnt matter. The bug will still show no matter what. I agree that CA would have some trouble with this but we need more support that it occurs no matter what.

Old Celt
04-05-2005, 18:31
I'm sorry to say that you are beating a dead horse. CA knows there is a bug. Rather than own up to it, they have chosen the Microsoft way, and redefined it as a feature. Some information is not being stored in the save game file correctly, and this causes the game to "forget" what it was doing when the information about what its units were doing comes up missing.

You are proceeding under the assumption that CA merely needs to be shown reproducible tests to be convinced of the problem. Fact is, they have already been shown more than adequate proof. Anyone can do the simple test of starting a new campaign and lifting the fog of war to watch what happens. If you save the game and then reload after each turn, the AI will NEVER expand. That is proof in a nutshell. No, the problem here is that CA has no INTEREST in solving the problem.

drone
04-05-2005, 18:34
Don't get me wrong, it's a good way to test what the AI is doing. I'm just saying it gives whatever CA representitive that sees it "plausible deniability".

For investigation purposes though (we know better!), it's probably a good idea. You would want to remove any possible randomness to this test. This would include rebels and all events.

My opinion on the matter (and you know what they say about opinions), is that the developers know about the problem, but their hands are tied and cannot release a fix until the expansion. Complaining and flaming will get us nowhere and will only generate bad blood. Some people want a silent protest, here's my suggestion:

~:smoking:

What does it mean? Someone needs a "patch".

Epistolary Richard
04-06-2005, 15:10
Maybe a little obscure.... ~D

Perhaps something like this would be more appropriate:

:stwshame: the Shogun Total War shame smiley

drone
04-06-2005, 16:56
Maybe a little obscure.... ~D

Perhaps something like this would be more appropriate:

:stwshame: the Shogun Total War shame smiley
Ah, didn't see that hidden all the way down at the bottom. Much better.

Epistolary Richard
04-06-2005, 17:15
You stick it to the Man, drone! ~D