PDA

View Full Version : Wedge formation

imdWALRU5
04-06-2005, 17:56
Do you guys use the wedge formation special ability?

Craterus
04-06-2005, 18:02
No, not often, but it can be good for punching a hole in enemy lines.. and then when you are the other side you can charge into the back of another infantry unit.

professorspatula
04-06-2005, 18:10
I would use it if the cavalry charged straight into the enemy unit. But because most of the time it swings to the left and pretty much goes no-where, I don't bother. Often it is better to use a standard charge, or a long thin formation that will overlap the enemy unit and cause carnage from multiple directions.

However, if ever you find yourself with head-hunting maidens and you're going up against Cataphracts, use the wedge, but click behind the Cataphracts. It's the most efficient way to kill those tanks with those ladies. I've done enough tedious tests to find that out.

Marcus Maxentius
04-06-2005, 18:28
Wedge is a tricky formation to use. Most of the time, it's better to use normal. I've been trying to find the opportunity to use it to pry apart a gap in the enemy line to give infantry more flanking opportunities which is what it was historically used for. Try to target weak and wavering units. Also try using it to attack the side of a unit.

Count Belisarius
04-06-2005, 18:32
I almost never use wedge formation. I often cannot get it to work right in the context of a charge: the first few ranks often will charge, but the rest just kind of advance to contact at a walk.

However, I have used wedge formation for getting at annoying enemy archers. You can threaten to flank the enemy line with one cavalry unit, wait for a gap to open up in the enemy line, and dash through with another (expendable) cavalry unit in wedge formation to come to grips with the archers who are peppering your infantry or missile troops.

metatron
04-06-2005, 19:05
Do you guys use the wedge formation special ability?Yes.

There's an old MTW thread about the virtues of the wedge, and for high attack/low-defense units (ie: cav), might as well go for the +1 Attack and Pushback (don't know if it translates exactly into RTW).

imdWALRU5
04-06-2005, 21:59
Some times I use wedge formation when I am flanking an enemy phalanx. It helps to have a concentrated point in the initial attack and throws the whole phalanx into disarray

Red Harvest
04-07-2005, 05:24
Nope, I don't use it. When I have it tends to veer left or right trying to plot an intercept course. I suppose it might work if ordered as a "charge through" rather than a "charge attack." The wedge is vulnerable to being struck on the flank.

IliaDN
04-07-2005, 05:47
:charge: As for me i prefer a massive flanking attack with heavy cavalry and then a final charge in the front of enemy army and elephants running through enemy troops. As for pikemen I think the best devastation of them is to attack them from the back with one unit and then quickly from the front with another (of course after pikemen have turned to the first one).It is possible even with light troops.So not much use for wedge!

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 09:13
i never use it because it's heavily bugged

*Ringo*
04-07-2005, 12:12
i never use it because it's heavily bugged

I've used the wedge formation several times to good effect. Obviously care has to be taken to unsure good contact but i've routed individual units, by using a single unit of cavalry, in a wedged charge into their rear (sounds nasty ~D ).

I've not noticed any bugged issues with it personally.

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 16:29
it swing too the left all the time, are you using 1.1 or 1.0 cause i thought it was only 1.2

*Ringo*
04-07-2005, 16:38
I use 1.2, i'll only order a charge when i have my cavalry in a suitable position beforehand. I.E maneuver the unit into a flanking position, double click to start the charge then when the unit closes in press the f key to order wedge formation. It seems to work quite well.

Marcus Maxentius
04-07-2005, 16:40
I think what I want to try to lessen the swinging is making sure they hit when the enemy is standing still or occupied with attacking somebody. I noticed that my cav start pursuing and not charging when they do that swinging thing. Also, we'd have more opportunities to use it if the AI organized itself into tight lines rather than scattering all over the place.

The Stranger
04-07-2005, 16:41
oh maybe it works that way but i doesn't when you put them in wedge before you charge. the first part goes well but when they charge it bends to the left

nidpants
04-07-2005, 17:04
the only reason i could see using a wedge formation is to break troops with a charge. i know that's redundant since that's one of the principles uses for cavalry, but the wedge formation leaves too many men in hand-to-hand contact with the enemy unit. obviously, if you're using cataphracts against town guard or a pikeman's rear this is okay, but a strike to the rear against an engaged enemy with a wedge is amazingly effective in breaking it.