PDA

View Full Version : god bless Yubtseb elephants! and funny tales?

Beefy
04-09-2005, 20:50
Thought i would have a laugh with these put 3 units of them in my city of Swira i think? right next to eygpt who where attacking me, i only had a few normal units in the town.

A full stack eygptian army came, layed seige and attacked. my Yubtseb ele's got a large chunk of their army before they were all killed by archer fire, BUT they blocked the entrances to my town and my units just sat in the square whilst the eypgtians tried to get in!

I won after it timed out!

Anybody else got any funny tales of battles to tell?

tibilicus
04-09-2005, 20:57
Not really that funny but intersting. Once put my spear warbard at a gate and the stupid brittons tried to get in. By the end i had killed over 1000 britons and only had to sacrafise 2 warbards. Worth it if you ask me.........

Mikeus Caesar
04-09-2005, 21:24
How do you get the yubtsebs? I've tried the cheat for them many times before, but it never works.

Beefy
04-09-2005, 21:55
start up RTW

click on a city, MAKE SURE ITS SELECTED! open console! tilde key(one above tab) tupe oliphaunt! with a U!!!! you will have a unit, in that city, you can only do this once each game, you have to start up RTW to do it agiain

Bhruic
04-09-2005, 22:05
I prefer the Pohserutuf elephants.

Bh

Quietus
04-09-2005, 22:10
So CA names units after stores now: like Best Buy and Futureshop? ~D

Mikeus Caesar
04-09-2005, 23:17
I thought yubsteb looked suspiciously like bestbuy. And thanks for telling me to click on a city when doing the cheat. That must have been what i was doing wrong all along.

Hey, that rhymed!!

Gladius of Germania
04-09-2005, 23:50
you dont have to just click a city, it works for an army walking around aswell

Craterus
04-09-2005, 23:51

Bh

I've never heard of them? Are they even bigger? What is the cheat?

Monk
04-10-2005, 00:06
I've never heard of them? Are they even bigger? What is the cheat?

Yubtseb = Best buy backwards...

Pohserutuf = Future shop backwards.

i dont think they are in the game, could be wrong but i do believe that was a joke.

Craterus
04-10-2005, 00:51
Oh I think I'm confused with another backwards cheat gnitekram, marketing backwards..

The Stranger
04-10-2005, 09:23

Bh

what the hell are those, what's the cheat tell me. and YES MIKEUS yutseb eles are bestbuy eles, i think CA had no inspiration after creating this game. and the results are they never had much inspiration looking at RTW

The Stranger
04-10-2005, 09:24
I thought yubsteb looked suspiciously like bestbuy. And thanks for telling me to click on a city when doing the cheat. That must have been what i was doing wrong all along.

Hey, that rhymed!!

how many times have people told you to do that, i told you that atleast 2 times

the tokai
04-10-2005, 11:00
Thought i would have a laugh with these put 3 units of them in my city of Swira i think? right next to eygpt who where attacking me, i only had a few normal units in the town.

A full stack eygptian army came, layed seige and attacked. my Yubtseb ele's got a large chunk of their army before they were all killed by archer fire, BUT they blocked the entrances to my town and my units just sat in the square whilst the eypgtians tried to get in!

I won after it timed out!

Anybody else got any funny tales of battles to tell?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/stijntje72/Flying.jpg

believe it or not but that little spot there is actually a man.

Mablung
04-10-2005, 11:23
Playing RTR - Numidians in Germania in the year 268!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/mablung/Whatthehell.jpg

Craterus
04-10-2005, 11:43
Playing RTR - Numidians in Germania in the year 268!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/mablung/Whatthehell.jpg

lol.. as they say - WTF??

Watchman
04-10-2005, 13:09
i dont think they are in the game, could be wrong but i do believe that was a joke.Oh, they're in the game all right. Go look up the unit stat file sometime ("export_unit" or something like that). Weird buggers. They throw the game engine off a bit and move in a rather twitchy fashion, but amusing in their own way, although they die pretty easily all things considered. I've played with them a bit in the custom battles (easiest way to test them; just edit the "ownership" line in the stat file and presto, they're buyable).

Odds are the game gets kind of crazy if you edit them into it as mercenaries (the text file governing *that* is in the "world" folder or somesuch; just for laughs I also modded in a merc version of the Amazons while I was at it)... the most logical appereance regions would be in the Middle East, and boy, I'm pretty sure they'd throw the Seleucid/Egypt struggle off kilter...

Monk
04-10-2005, 16:54
Oh, they're in the game all right. Go look up the unit stat file sometime ("export_unit" or something like that). Weird buggers. They throw the game engine off a bit and move in a rather twitchy fashion, but amusing in their own way, although they die pretty easily all things considered. I've played with them a bit in the custom battles (easiest way to test them; just edit the "ownership" line in the stat file and presto, they're buyable).

Odds are the game gets kind of crazy if you edit them into it as mercenaries (the text file governing *that* is in the "world" folder or somesuch; just for laughs I also modded in a merc version of the Amazons while I was at it)... the most logical appereance regions would be in the Middle East, and boy, I'm pretty sure they'd throw the Seleucid/Egypt struggle off kilter...

I'll have to take your word for it then. I've long since uninstalled rtw and don't plan on giving it another go anytime soon. They sound interesting if nothing else ~D

Mikeus Caesar
04-10-2005, 17:09
They are interesting. I tested them a few hours ago, and they are amazing. On top of these giant merc elephants, is this big wooden deck with about 10 archers on. Unfortunately, they can't kill men by just running into them. The onyl way they can kill people is with the archers. I found that out when a roman soldier got thrown from the middle of the map, to somewhere outside of the map boundaries. He came running back, only to be nailed by a stray arrow.

Watchman
04-10-2005, 22:03
They distrupt unit formations something fierce, though. Small wonder given just how absurd their "mass" characteristics are.

Incidentally, I find the unit description pretty hilarious. And am I the only one who thinks the coder-boys had been watching LotR when they came up with these things ? I mean, the "mount" of the unit is bluntly called "oliphant"...

The Stranger
04-11-2005, 02:18
They are interesting. I tested them a few hours ago, and they are amazing. On top of these giant merc elephants, is this big wooden deck with about 10 archers on. Unfortunately, they can't kill men by just running into them. The onyl way they can kill people is with the archers. I found that out when a roman soldier got thrown from the middle of the map, to somewhere outside of the map boundaries. He came running back, only to be nailed by a stray arrow.
]

that's because they're only big not strong, bit like Johny Bravo

Fisherking
04-18-2005, 17:33
I was sending 4 new Cataphracts to reinforce a city threatened by the Romans. They attacked me with three armies, one at a time. The largest was almost 900 men with a leader, the smallest was around 500. It cost the AI three family members and 2000 killed, while I had to send my now veteran Cats home to be rebuilt. They managed to kill about 100 of my horse, so it worked out to about a 20 to 1 kill ratio and broke the back of their army in Greece.

I thought that I was dead meat when the first army hit me but I just made sure that the 4 units stayed together & charged through them like a hot knife through butter routing each unit in turn. The key was once they made contact I had them move to a point behind the unit to regroup… when they start going through them the enemy seems to rout. I had to do a lot of dancing around to get at individual units or to attack & kill their generals but all 4 units survived all three battles & got their first stripe… one got two stripes. So don’t think that you need infantry to fight & win this game.
:duel: