PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Disappearing armies ?

PilotusH
04-13-2005, 14:12
Playing as Egypt medium/medium, 1.2 patch, I am in the middle of a war of attrition against the Scipii in North Africa.

Last night I had 3 stacks lined up against 3 stacks of Scipii in the red zone. They attacked my weakest stack and I got the usual pre battle notice of reinforcements available.

When I started the battle I got a message that the reinforcements wouldn’t arrive in time or something like that, My solitary weak stack was soundly beaten.

After the battle my other two stacks had also disappeared from the campaign map, but I got a 20 thousand dinari jump in the end of turn report, while I have been making only a few hundred per turn.

Anyone know what’s going on here ?

IliaDN
04-13-2005, 14:19
~:confused: Never had such a sh#t ~:confused:

Viking
04-13-2005, 14:31
I seems that because you lost the battle, your reinforcements got killed too, becaus of a bug.

But where those money came frome is harder to explain :dizzy2:

The Stranger
04-13-2005, 16:08
Playing as Egypt medium/medium, 1.2 patch, I am in the middle of a war of attrition against the Scipii in North Africa.

Last night I had 3 stacks lined up against 3 stacks of Scipii in the red zone. They attacked my weakest stack and I got the usual pre battle notice of reinforcements available.

When I started the battle I got a message that the reinforcements wouldn’t arrive in time or something like that, My solitary weak stack was soundly beaten.

After the battle my other two stacks had also disappeared from the campaign map, but I got a 20 thousand dinari jump in the end of turn report, while I have been making only a few hundred per turn.

Anyone know what’s going on here ?

the money probably comes becaus you don't have to pay for that army, what happened to your army???

PilotusH
04-13-2005, 17:23
That's what I'd like to know.

They were meant to be my reinforcements, but never turned up for the battle.

However because my one stack was soundly beaten they seem to have got destroyed aswell.

20 k on one turn upkeep ! That's expensive. I don't think that's it because I've gone back to a few hundred per turn. Seems like it was a one off compensation for losing 2 stacks which never fought on battle and somehow disappeared.

I've not been saving much in this campaign, but fortunately I had a couple of turns before this happened. I really needed those armies so I reloaded. Of course the Scipii stacks all moved when I reloaded and didn't attack, so now it's panning out differently and I'm beating them.

mxlm
04-13-2005, 18:55
I seem to recall someone posting about that disappearing army thing before.

I guess the lesson is, if you have a small army that's going to be reinforced by a large one, and the large one doesn't show, run away. Run away real far, real fast.

Or, you could regard it as a feature. Uh...your newly arriving army encountered the fleeing remnants of the first army, and the panic was contagious. All your men ran, and were hunted down like dogs by the opposition. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Kekvit Irae
04-13-2005, 19:00
Did you check nearby fleets to see if the armies ran to them? And yes, armies retreat a great distance more than their movement allows, so search around. Or, it might be that being three stacks versus three stacks, the reinforcements were cut down in retreat by the opposing army if they didnt have anywhere to run to due to being in the ZoC of the enemy (yes, I'm a CivII/III fan)

screwtype
04-13-2005, 19:10
LOL, you've just found the bug that caused me to quit playing the game a couple of weeks after I first bought it. Exactly the same thing happened to me, except that my reinforcements *did* arrive on the battlefield but then somehow got "stuck" on the red line border and didn't move or help me at all in the battle, which I lost.

Back to the campaign map, and all three of my armies have disappeared. After that I couldn't be bothered playing anymore.

However, this was playing with version 1.1, I haven't had the same problem since installing 1.2. But then again, I don't think I've had any big battles like that either ~:)

The Stranger
04-13-2005, 20:17
did you had the skull picture cause then the army is eliminated.

ToranagaSama
04-13-2005, 21:15
Yup, this is some sort of BIG bug. I thought it had been fixed with the patch??

Vanya
04-13-2005, 23:51
GAH!

Vanya once had one of his Carthaginian armies disappear shortly after they were loaded onto a ship. "GAH!" Vanya exclaimed with much fury, for that postponed his invasion plans.

A week later, when Vanya fired up da game... poof! The army appeared! As it turned out, they had been hinding out in the galleys all along! Vanya's empty boats were once again full! And invasion hence launched now had an unexpected boost of reinforcements!

GAH!

Viking
04-14-2005, 08:57
LOL, you've just found the bug that caused me to quit playing the game a couple of weeks after I first bought it. Exactly the same thing happened to me, except that my reinforcements *did* arrive on the battlefield but then somehow got "stuck" on the red line border and didn't move or help me at all in the battle, which I lost.

Back to the campaign map, and all three of my armies have disappeared. After that I couldn't be bothered playing anymore.

However, this was playing with version 1.1, I haven't had the same problem since installing 1.2. But then again, I don't think I've had any big battles like that either ~:)

If your reinforcements are led by a captain, then they can`t join the battle before you have lost one of your units.

Intrepid Sidekick
04-14-2005, 09:24
You haven't provided all the details but it may be that your other armies were in fact bribed away from you by the enemy?
Even if they were commanded by generals this could still happen. It was the AI's turn.

The delay of reinforcements is a feature. Communications in the ancient world were not fantastic.

Intrepid Sidekick

#C.A. Staff#

ZZR Puig
04-14-2005, 10:28
I'm not sure if this is what happened, but when I attack an army that has reinforments nearby the reinforcing army appears with an small icon that means that it cannot retreat (v1.2). If I win the battle the enemy is destroyed even if he manages to flee.

I have never had the change to verify that it works like this, as I give the enemy no chance to flee ~;) , but it's supposed to. What happened to you may be the same situation in the opposite direction, although I think that if your reinforments don't arrive they couldn't be beaten neither, so that seems to be some kind of mistake or bug of the game.

Hope this helps.

HarunTaiwan
04-14-2005, 10:56
Intrepid Sidekick,

Now, that is a feature I like. The uncertainty of reinforcements is great. They sometimes do arrive just late.

Do they ever arrive already fatigued from forced marching, etc.?

screwtype
04-14-2005, 11:14
If your reinforcements are led by a captain, then they can`t join the battle before you have lost one of your units.

No, my two full stack armies were BOTH led by generals. I made sure of that because I intended to use all three stacks to attack the city at once.

screwtype
04-14-2005, 11:23
You haven't provided all the details but it may be that your other armies were in fact bribed away from you by the enemy?
Even if they were commanded by generals this could still happen. It was the AI's turn.

That's a possibility I didn't consider, but if the armies are bribed away there should be a message to that end. You shouldn't just come back to the campaign map and find that two entire stacks have vanished up in smoke!

And anyhow, in my case the two reinforcing armies actually appeared on the field. They just didn't do anything. And when I returned to the campaign map, they were gone. If it was bribery, wouldn't it have occurred before the battle began, so that the armies didn't appear at all?

The delay of reinforcements is a feature. Communications in the ancient world were not fantastic.

Yes, I've always understood that, and I fully support this feature. It's quite logical that sometimes reinforcements might not arrive on time.

ZZR Puig
04-14-2005, 11:36
The fact that the reinforcing armies haven't entered the field might have been caused because you didn't check the AI controled box at the begining of the battle. If you did it's odd that they behave like that. The reinforments are waiting to enter the battle only if you desired to control them personally, so you have to leave one or more of the 20 slots free for a reinforment to join. If you let the AI control them they should enter instantly if they arrive in time.

About the dissapearance, haven't you checked the possibility that they were destroyed because they were unable to flee as I mentioned previously?

screwtype
04-14-2005, 11:55
The fact that the reinforcing armies haven't entered the field might have been caused because you didn't check the AI controled box at the begining of the battle. If you did it's odd that they behave like that. The reinforments are waiting to enter the battle only if you desired to control them personally, so you have to leave one or more of the 20 slots free for a reinforment to join. If you let the AI control them they should enter instantly if they arrive in time.

Your description only pertains to version 1.2, I was playing under 1.1 when this occurred, when there was no option to control reinforcements yourself and so on.

Also as I said this type of disappearance hasn't occurred since I installed 1.2 as I recall, but then again, I have rarely if ever used more than one stack to attack anything since.

About the dissapearance, haven't you checked the possibility that they were destroyed because they were unable to flee as I mentioned previously?

Look, I really don't care what the reason was. Armies should not simply disappear without some sort of explanation. And I can't think of ANY valid reason for a large army to disappear unless (a) it has no path of retreat or (b) it gets bribed.

Just to expand on the situation my armies confronted: I was besieging a city with two and a half full stacks, the enemy which was quite weak sallied forth to attack the half stack.

When I was taken to the battlefield, the enemy army did not in fact sally forth but just stayed behind the city walls. Since my reinforcements stopped just after crossing the red line and did nothing, I was now faced with a choice of either making a suicidal attack on the city walls with half a stack, or ending the battle. I chose to wait until the time expired to see what happened.

What happened is that when the time expired all three of my armies disappeared after the "battle"!

Now if you can give me a logical explanation as to how your entire army could be destroyed by an enemy sally which does not even eventuate, you should probably be in politics, LOL.

PilotusH
04-14-2005, 14:04
Thanks for all your input.

I didn't get any message about armies being bribed at the end of the turn, they definitely were not on the campaign map, but I didn't check any ships.

I wouldn't know whether it's a bug, I'm much too new to the game, it's only my second campaign. I'm just trying to understand this a little better.

Anyway the campaign's back on course and it's great fun. Scipii have large powerful stacks everywhere and Brutti are twice as strong militarily with 20 provinces. I'm trying to avoid them for a while longer ~:)

*Ringo*
04-14-2005, 14:38
I did hear rumblings that reinforcements can get delayed if they have used all their movement points that turn. This would also explain their inability to retreat when the battle was lost. Could this be the case in your game?

ZZR Puig
04-14-2005, 14:51
Look, I really don't care what the reason was. Armies should not simply disappear without some sort of explanation. And I can't think of ANY valid reason for a large army to disappear unless (a) it has no path of retreat or (b) it gets bribed.

I agree, it's probably a bug, just trying to identify it more precisely.

Rapidly
04-14-2005, 16:34
I had a battle last night where a large group of reinforcements stalled on the battle border (red line) and never got into the fight. It's maybe only the second time I've seen it, but I like that that can sometimes happen, think it reflects actual exigencies of reinforcing well. Re: the lost armies, though, never seen that before. I'd say it's only a problem if it happens again, otherwise I'd put it down to "fortunes of war."

Dutch_guy
04-14-2005, 16:44
I've ''seen'' this happen with the senate elite army ( v1.2 ) one moment they were next to rome , the other they were gone. really weird , I was gonna start the civil war about that time, so well missed a great battle./
I also had no idea where they went, certainley not conquering distant lands ~;)
( I actually checked that with the fog of war cheat )

Fisherking
04-18-2005, 18:10
Well geez... I had armies go invisible on me in a german campagin & then when I did locate them by clicking around I tried to combine them.... they didn't but were just plain lost.... I don't know what happened or how but I know I got a lot of crashes when I first loaded this game & had a lot of video problems.... I got a new video card & haven't seen it happen sense, so my gess was my computer & not just the game...but if it happens again I will scream. :help:

Wargfang
04-19-2005, 08:36
The delayed message is normal and generally a good feature...although whether a deleyed army should fall back (and thus die)

Three things that are possible :

- It was skullz and your dead
- Bug
- They ran away onto nearby ships.

The last one happened to me. I didnt realise till half a dozen moves later when moving my 'empty' fleet I discovered the lost legions !!

Very handy :)

IliaDN
04-19-2005, 17:13
Not long ago in my game one of my armies disappeared:
There was two my armies, one was good another consisted of three units of peasants.Peasant army was attacked I decided to avoid battle(because there was a good general in my nearby army and so I was that he would get killed(because the army was reinforcement one)
So after retreat of a peasant army (p/a) another just disappeared(I checked my ships nearby), by the way p/a didn't disappear.
I was rather displased with it because it was my only real army in Sicily :furious3:
P.S I would prefer to see one flood.